HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fly Line

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
The Orvis Bank Shot is expensive, but there are similar lines out there that you might be able to find at a discount when the manufacturers revamp the line. I know RIO, SA, and Airflo all have lines with longer, slightly heavier floating heads to deliver poppers and other wind-resistant flies. And while many don't think you need to cast far to catch smallies, right now on the Susky would probably prove to be tough if you're not getting 75' or so. The water is very low and clear as gin. You can get them to eat a popper if you can get it to them without them seeing you. I have been using a 10' leader.

The reason these lines are better is the grain weight. The salmon/steelhead line Afish is talking about doesn't have the same effect as the bank shot. A regular WF8F is going to have around 210 grains in the head. The salmon/steelhead 8wt line also is around 210 grains. The Bank Shot, however, for WF8F, is nearly 300 grains. That's the kind of line you want, one with 50% more grain weight at the head and still a floater. Believe me, they cast like a rocket with much less false casting.

Would you say the bank shot is like a rio outbound ?

Posted on: 10/3 12:42

From Chester County
Quote:

bigjohn58 wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the Cortland Big Shot line? Seems like something that might work for me.

afishinado what is the steelhead/salmon line you are running?

http://www.orvis.com/p/hydros-salmon- ... M5LWsPo7hZrkaAo0gEALw_wcB

Posted on: 10/4 7:01

From Granville
Air-Cel......it is cheap and works wonderfully. I currently use Rio Mainstream Bass but when it is worn out I'll be going back to good old Air-Cel. It is quite seriously my favorite line..

Posted on: 10/4 8:03

From Flourtown, PA
Fred-

The RIO Outbound Short 8 wt is 315 grains, so, yeah, it's going to cast very similar to the Bank Shot. The key is having that extra weight--having the same weight in grains (200) just spread out over a longer head isn't going to get you much of anything different.

Posted on: 10/4 11:17

From Flourtown, PA
Fred-

The RIO Outbound Short 8 wt is 315 grains, so, yeah, it's going to cast very similar to the Bank Shot. The key is having that extra weight--having the same weight in grains (200) just spread out over a longer head isn't going to get you much of anything different.

Posted on: 10/4 11:17

From Williamsport, PA
Anyone care to explain all this grains stuff or be able to point me to somewhere that can explain it?

Posted on: 10/4 11:52

A grain is just a unit of weight measurement.

So, 300 grains is a lot heavier than 200 grains.

Posted on: 10/4 15:18

From Granville
Grains is actually a measurement of mass, not weight. Similar for sure but not the same. Now, who cares about those statistics of fly lines. Catching smallies isn't rocket science. If you can cast the flies, like the feel of a line in your hand, and feel the fly and fish the line is good enough. Any like can do that if it is I the right weight and if the angler learns to do so. I feel a lot of lines are overblown marketing fluff of course because they need to sell new product.

Posted on: 10/4 15:44

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

jifigz wrote:
Grains is actually a measurement of mass, not weight. Similar for sure but not the same. Now, who cares about those statistics of fly lines. Catching smallies isn't rocket science. If you can cast the flies, like the feel of a line in your hand, and feel the fly and fish the line is good enough. Any like can do that if it is I the right weight and if the angler learns to do so. I feel a lot of lines are overblown marketing fluff of course because they need to sell new product.

Did really well using a Triangle taper salt line on the smallies yesterday. They are really putting the feed bag on right now.

This will probably be my next bass line

http://royalwulff.com/products/tt-bass-line/

Posted on: 10/5 7:11

Posted on: 10/5 7:41

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
I have found that the Orvis WF-F Bank Shot line is a great smallie line. It does a great job of getting the more wind-resistant bass flies out there.

Pricey line but has great reviews , might be my next snakehead line .

Posted on: 10/6 10:31

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com