Fly Line for Hybrid Stripers

F

flyjunkie

I have a friend that moved close to Lake Arthur and has invited me on a fishing trip there in a couple of weeks. He does not fly fish and I have never targeted hybrid stripers before. Everything I have read indicates that they hang in deeper water this time of year. Can anyone give me some advise on the best type of line to use (Floating , Intermediate, or full sink) for this time of year?

I have caught them on top water. This was in texas, and in the month of august. The fish hung deep most of the day, but they'd be attacking bait on the surface very early and before dark. I was not fly fishing, but my recommendation would be to have a floater handy on the off chance that you see surface activity.

If the fish are deep, you are definitely going to want something to get down. I throw a Teeny 350 on my 8 weight that I like. Some people prefer shooting heads attached to a running line. The whole idea is to get down deep without having to wait 5 minutes for the fly to get down and allow it to stay down. Make sure you shorten up your leader. When I use my clear intermediate or my Teeny 350 I am only using a few feet of straight mono or flouro.

I know Orvis makes a multi-tip system for lakes... you might want to check that out. Good luck!

Thanks. I have a Rio 7-9 in/s for my eight and an orvis DC 500 that I throw on a 10wt but can manage on a 9wt.

Back