Florida Bass flies

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I am headed to Florida in march and plan on doing some bass fishing at a gated communities lake. A guy pulled out a ridiculous bass right off of the dock that I would estimate to be 28-29" and about 8-9 pounds. I caught one that was 20" and about 2 pounds and was telling him I caught a nice one. He laughed and said that was bait, just before hammering that monster.

I have a crayfish pattern that I am going to tie. Was wondering what other flies are your go to for bass.

Have some big "snaky" flies - think rabbit strip - and make sure that some of them have weed guards. I doubt the fish are picky. Perhaps some nymphs that imitate dragonflies might be helpful if the water is clear and the fish turn out to be picky. What did the guy catch the big one on? That should give you some frame of reference for what to tie, size, color, etc.

+1 on the weed guards. the lilly pads and stalks in FL ponds can be brutal.

when i was back in Dec (I'm from there originally) white clousers were working well. also had some smaller white baitfish patterns with plenty of flash. the key there is just getting your fly down.

I'd recommend poppers too if you'll be doing any early AM fishing, that's always my favorite.

good luck

Hey Mike,

Been living in the Orlando area the past couple years for school and fish for bass about as frequently as possible to keep the bug going strong. I've tried many different flies to no avail and keep coming back to a couple patterns. As was already stated being able to get your fly down is important as the majority of those lunkers will be lurking in the depths. An array of clousers in chartreuse, white and black have worked very well for me. I tied a few seaducers in black and dark brown with redfish in mind originally and have caught some of my largest bass on them as well. I fish these in shallower sections of ponds around lilly pads and other structure. A bream or shad pattern has worked well for me also. This topic grabbed my attention and warranted a first post as I have found some good fun in fishing for bass here until I make it back home to PA. Good luck!

Welcome Evan - and thanks for the Florida tips.

Nice bonefish BTW.

Welcome aboard. I'd think long,like a worm, in black and brown rigged weedless would work. I still like a white popper for bass even though I haven't fished for them in years. GG

I will fish a foam popper for largemouth until they stop coming up. It's my favorite way by far to catch them by far. My favorite is a white popper with a red front half/face. Don't know why but its worked well for me. Cover and time of day are probably more important than pattern but I have confidence in it.

Back