HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Flat fishing Sth Fla & Cancun

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Some of the most fun I ever had was hauling in schoolie dolphin (mahi mahi) on a charter. We even got a blue marlin that day. But the dolphin on light tackle was much more fun, IMO. Trolling, trolling, trolling, bam, every rod on the boat goes down simultaneously. Mate's handing rods around, trying to prevent tangles, meanwhile chumming and getting light action spinning rods out. By the time we got all the rods landed, you look behind the boat, and there's just 100 or so fish stacked up against the stern. You could toss that rod 100 yards away and one would be on it in an instant. All you have to do is "hit water".

Mass craziness. 6 sports on the boat. Pretty much a constant "6 header" till the school is gone or your limited out.

I've done some of this in Florida as well. My dad is an old school salt guy and he is all for some trolling, since you only have to 1 mile off Jupiter inlet to get in offshore action.
I really want to catch a Mahi on the fly rod. I still have memories of school around a rubbish pile of pallets, etc All the trolling rods lit up, but I'm pissed we didn't break out the fly rods and hunker down on the floating debris.
I was just thinking of the scenario you mentioned above. Once the trolling rods light up, stop the boat and start casting flies to them.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 12:43

From Couldn't Care Less
Some good stuff in tis thread ... much appreciated

Florida for Xmas break

Cancun - last week of March

Did a lil research and tons of options for me in Fla. Decent amt of guides and I'm just going to be truthful on my experience and level. Hopefully find someone I'm comfortable with that will put me on some fish

Posted on: 2012/8/21 23:06

From Couldn't Care Less
Redfish, snook, Tarpon/Baby Tarpon, permit, and/or peacock bass seem to be a better option for my ability?

If yes this still seems like tons of fun:

Fly Fishing For Redfish Snook And Tarpon

Think this is the way I'm gonna go (with a guide) and let me know if you think I am making the right decision.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 10:51

Redfish are always in the lagoons and rivers- good fighters ,hit well on flies and artificial except when the water gets bath tub hot then they and all inshore fish become lethargic .Pretty much a bait thing then except for a brief early morning bite.
Thing you must remember about inshore[not surf fishing] is -when the artificials [flies,lures] are most fun to use is when the fish are in the shallows.
at that time they are very vibration spooky,repeat very.Just banging a tackle box,or your foot on the bottom of a boat and they are gone.
Except for snook who are brain dead.If you are wading do the string ray shuffle.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 11:02

From Couldn't Care Less
Spoke to a Fly shop in Boca and he recommended a few guides for me. Gonna do one day guide and then one day chucking flie from the beach on my own.

Owner of the shop recommended (told him my experience level) either daytime canals and/or the everglades (tamiami trail) OR night fishing for snook or tarpon. Think I'm going to go with thw everglades and book it this week .... good move?

Posted on: 2012/11/25 9:30

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Think I'm going to go with thw everglades and book it this week .... good move?

Yep - good move.
The Everglades where you'll be fishing is an amazing ecosystem - miles of grass flats and all kinds of fish and bird life. Don't forget binoculars and polarized glasses (and sunscreen). The water isn't crystal clear like the Keys but you'll still see an amazing place unlike anything in PA. Even if the fishing is slow, you can marvel at the sights from tiny crabs in the grass to lemon, bull and blacktip sharks gently and gracefully cruising the shallows along with rays and maybe even manatees or sea turtles. If you're fishing further back in you'll be hitting canals in a largely open landscape - still lots of birds, alligators and too many fish to list (you'll probably be targeting snook or baby tarpon - a blast on the fly rod).
Take some pics (and post 'em) - have fun and good fishing.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 10:12

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com