HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fishing on spawning fish

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
I'd be interested to hear about the outcome of the inquiry to the PFBC since the article basically has them admitting to the unlawful behavior almost to the tune of the exact words of the reg.

Ditto!

Posted on: 2012/5/23 16:51

From Hershey, PA
I have not yet received a reply from the PFBC.

I agree that it is a difficult regulation to enforce, unless, of course, someone would do it and then publish an article about it...

Posted on: 2012/5/23 17:17

From South Lebanon Township, PA
FD - I think the key difference with Bluegills or other Sunfish is that it's not illegal. That said, I still don't knowingly cast at them, although I don't fish ponds and lakes very much. I will cast at the shoreline on streams during the Sunfish (usually Redbreasts in the streams I fish) spawning period though. From that distance and angle while wading in the stream it's not very often I can sight fish though...I'm just casting to a likely holding spot around rocks/submerged structure/etc. Whether some of the stream Sunfish I catch were actively on a bed I can never be sure, but yes, odds would suggest it probably does happen from time to time. In any case, I'm not knowingly (and repeatedly) casting to a bedding fish though. If I see a Sunnie on a bed I'll probably watch him for a while, but won't cast at him.

I'd agree the impact to the stream/lake/pond population is probably minimal, but I still don't think it's the right thing to do.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 22:03

From Mount Joy, PA
PJ definitely "manned up" and accepted it like a man.

http://lancasteronline.com/article/lo ... -Don-t-do-what-I-did.html

Posted on: 2012/5/27 14:39

From lebanon, pa
that is great that he stood up. i do think he should get a citation, not to be an ass, but just to prove the point. it's one thing if joe nobody tells his buddies what a good time it was, but how many people read that and thought it would be a good time?
some places fishing over beds might not have any impact on the fishery at all, but other places might not be as lucky. besides that i feel it is very unsporting.

Posted on: 2012/5/27 15:10

From Hershey, PA
Stand-up guy. And I appreciate the PFBC addressing the issue.

Posted on: 2012/5/27 19:39

Yep, classy follow up...made the best of a bad situation by getting the word out about the reg and his mistake. Props to the WCO for addressing it too. I'm not sure a citation accomplishes a whole lot, but I respect his attitude toward it either way. I'd be fine if he didn't get one. In the end more good probably comes from this than harm.

Thanks for the link wg.

Posted on: 2012/5/27 20:03

From Other side of the tracks
OK, I have a question.

If I only cast once to each nest, am I still within the law?

Anyway, I still say in the vast majority of cases it causes little to no harm to the overall population as long as the fish are released. I don't see a significant biological reason for not allowing it, at least not for the largemouth. But it is still lame so I have no problem with keeping it illegal.

And as Chaz would point out, smallmouth aren't even native to half of PA so who cares.

Posted on: 2012/5/29 13:59

FD - I think the concern with taking a Bass off its nest is the impact from "nest raiders," resident Sunfish usually, coming in and feasting on the eggs/youngsters in the Bass's absence. How much of an impact that has I'm not sure really.

Posted on: 2012/5/29 14:41

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
FD - I think the concern with taking a Bass off its nest is the impact from "nest raiders," resident Sunfish usually, coming in and feasting on the eggs/youngsters in the Bass's absence. How much of an impact that has I'm not sure really.

I agree, but if that is anything more than background noise in the overall mortality rate, then the pond or stream has other issues. It is just the way it is.

Posted on: 2012/5/29 14:45

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com