First Carp on a Dry Fly

Pittflyguy

Pittflyguy

My buddy had tipped me off to some Carp he found clooping white seeds off of the surface film the other day. Sure enough, they were still there! First Carp on a dry fly for me. I know she is not the biggest Carp ever (although she may be the fattest ready to pop at any moment carp) but she will always hold a special place in my heart and put up a beautiful fight on my 6wt. Great way to end a day!

Attachments

• IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 10
good deal!!!
Were they selective to drift or fly selection?

David,

She hit on my third cast. I did not have any seed fly patterns so I put on a white adams and I guess that was close enough. They were sitting back in an eddy so the drift was super slow. In fact the water was actually moving back up stream. The fight blew them up so I was not able to get back on them after the first fish. Hopefully they will be back around tomorrow!

At the Fly Fishing Film Tour, before the show they had a video playing of a bunch of guys fishing penns creek for carp during the legendary 17 year cicada hatch it was unreal

nice fish!

What a pig! Good job on that.

Nice Pitt I like your style :-D I guess its that time of year again to get my carp flies out :-D

Neat- were you down near the docks of the Gateway Clipper? No Fair. hehehe

Pretty cool stuff there really- good job. I might try it later this summer.

Thanks all! Fredrick... to be honest, I was a bit shocked. I kinda figured mid-spawn they'd be more interested in sex than eating but i guess they got a bit hungry???

Brookiebuster... I was at the festival, but I guess I did not get there early enough to catch that. There is a really cool Carp DVD out called Urban Warfare and there is a trailer for it on youtube which is pretty cool!

Needless to say, I am at my tying station as we speak putting a few more white dry flies together :)

Kid... I was not on any of the big rivers... small creek near where I live. The Carp don't get much bigger than 10lbs as they are mostly juvenile, but are great sport as long as you fish the right line weight.

nice fish, caught this one on a size 18 white fly dry. Thats a five foot rod too. caught in 1993

Attachments

• carp 92.jpg
    carp 92.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 3
Sandfly... stop you are giving me carp envy! Nice catch. That must have been quite the tussle getting her to hand. Big fun!

My uncle wore that same kool hat. lol. That takes me back.

Awesome fish.

The mulberries are droppin heavy right now (June 1st).
Time to look for a rising carp.

sandy
I see in that picture you did have dark hair before the sun bleached it !!!!!!
Who is the guy with you ? he looks familiar
Nice fish by the way

beady2
thats one of the smith boys scott, lived down on the bottom street of the park..used to work as a mchanic down on south main streat.

What are tress or vegatation will carp eat?

Kid,

I have seen them eat cotton/thistle seeds off of the surface. I have also seen them eat berries that drop into the water as well. By no means am I the authority on the subject but I have seen both of those up close and personal on the dinner menu.

Might run into along the orange banks of Chartiers.

Back