Field and Stream Carp Video

NickR

NickR

Hello all... I just wanted to share a Field and Stream video on different types of Carp fishing that I recently was a part of. The video is comprised of three segments. One segment on fly fishing for carp, one on Euro Style groundbaiting, and bow fishing. I am the guy that is interviewed on the fly fishing segment. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwkN60a7kZg

I want a bite alarm.

Good video...I've had small carp (3-4 lbs) nail my nymph before. It is definately a rush.

Nice video, and it's pretty cool you got to do that for Field and Stream! I too want a bite alarm lol.

My friend Donny is in the the band Quiet Arcs who have a bunch of songs in this video. Small world! Also made me really want to know the location of the pond where the host is fishing.

Excellent! I know those spots on the Tully! ;)

Wgmiller,

Thanks for helping out with the scouting... I thought the bow fishing and euro style bait fishing is pretty interesting as well. Ethical question here; how many of you would try bow fishing? I know carp are an invasive species but I still don't want to kill them... their too cool.

We used to bow fish for carp a lot when I was in high school. I always did a whole lot more shootin' than killin'. However, we did stick our fair share of them. I never had a real use for them so it always seemed a bit wasteful. Fast forward to today. I would definitely rather catch a carp on a flyrod than shoot it with a bow, a whole lot more fun IMO!

Yes, exactly what do you do with the carp after you have shot it? Just chuck it somewhere? My friends in college always liked to do it, but I never went out with them. I also prefer carp on the fly rod.

I would much rather catch them on the fly, The run ins ive had with bowfishers while carp fishing have been interesting/disappointing. I really dont understand why they "fish" and just throw them up on the bank.

I think some of the folks that bowfish give them to people to consume... I have friends who own a horse farm near me and they have a fairly large group of Mexicans that work the farm. Well the local creek flooded and a bunch of carp got trapped in puddles along the bank and were going to die. The Mexicans came and picked up all the carp and took them home to eat. People actually eat them... I will pass on that.

Although would be funny to invite some fishing friends over for dinner and cook some fish... would be funny to tell them they are eating striped bass or sea bass and then when they are done eating show them the picture of the carp in it's slimy glory laying on a mud covered bank and tell them that they are actually eating carp.

Small world. I have talked to "Frank Likes Fishing" several times. The "secret" carp pond he fishes is right down the street from me. I was impressed with his setup when I met him.

Do you fish for them by any chance? With a fly rod?

by NickR on 2013/7/31 23:09:46 Do you fish for them by any chance? With a fly rod?

I've caught them on bait and attempted with a fly rod with no luck. I find them to get spooked easily when I cast to them with my fly rod. I haven't been able to figure out how to not alert them to my presence. With bait, you just cast out and they come to you.

In a stream setting you can drift your fly down to them but in a lake you have to cast pretty damn close to them. Plus they are used to every knucklehead who fishes the lake casting at them when they show themselves.

Back