Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Fall surf reports

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
fished the pasted two night. sat night got down around 8pm. fished in the back up in north jersey. my one buddy picked up a shad then moved to the ocean. was with two spin fishing guy and another guy fly fishing with me. one of the spin guys picked up a bass on his second cast. then it was like every other cast. mostly shorts. m buddy adam who was fly fishing to picked up two bass. I had one good hit couldn't get tight on the line. my other friend who was spin fishing caught two real nice weakies. like 23 inches. was pretty pissed but that's fishing. they were on sand eels.

sunday was like a lake with a full moon. sucked. nothing I knew it once I got out of the car and looked at the water. not one cloud in the sky. after reading reports it seemed everyone was struggling last night.

marc

Posted on: 2013/10/21 14:37

From Da 'Berg, PA
moonlit nights can be very good if you can find the bait and some current - especially in the spring.

in the fall, the outflow of creeks, jetties and out front in the surf can be outstanding when there's bait around - if the fish are there, you'll hear them before you see them.

a small rolling surf of 1-2 feet on a moonlit night is perfect for bass to lazily work the first wave and the backwash for bait, but the trick is find them when they are not schooled up yet.

being mobile is the key, take a long slow walk on the beach and listen and smell for everything as well as listen well. i'll sometimes walk two to three miles but stop and make a cast here and there occasionally, sometimes you just get a feeling.

sometimes its just one fish or two or three, but they could be 40" plus easy.

a good indicator can also be a small flock of gulls or terns sitting doing nothing. if they're out on a moonlit night rather than napping they know something - bait was or is nearby.

its one of my favourite times to fish - you don't need a headlamp (you shouldn't use one anyway) and very few people are out.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 19:48

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
personally I have to disagree respectfully. IMHO the worse the weather the better. I like the wind to be 10 to 15 ill still go out if its anything under 25 and yes I am fly fishing. big waves and high wind make fish feed actively. I also love the rain and so do fish. like sat night wind was like 10 with some heavy rain the fish were on and active right around the storm. last night clear and calm nothing.

I think the fish just get picky. they can see the line and can tell it not what hey usually eat. not saying you cant catch fish is just harder. id focus more time in the back then on the beach.

I feel that guys who fear the wind are making mistakes. its the best time to fish and the fish are usually on the beach actively feeding. this is why you need a 10, 11 and even 12's.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 21:57

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
bad weather = big fish !
when the beach gets churned up the stripers are in hunting best time to hit them. I agree with marcq on this. been chasin them for over 40 years and fishing a good noreaster is the best time. Now for blues they tend to like cleaner water. This bad weather is where a 10, 11, or 12 wt. comes into play with large water pushing flies. but is the best time to get a 30 lb+ fish. I'll throw 12 in. flies for stripers at that time and a school bus yellow in color is my favorite.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 7:13

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Da 'Berg, PA
oh i agree, an onshore blow is definitely the best fall fishing - i was just saying that when the wind lays down flat i'd walk the outside beaches rather than working out in the back.

Sandfly, i like yellow too :

Resized Image

and this is the result sometimes :

Resized Image

GB

Posted on: 2013/10/22 9:04

From Bethlehem, PA
nice fly...flatwings?

Posted on: 2013/10/22 17:27

From Da 'Berg, PA
thanks. Yeah. i use the underfur dubbed as a pillow to 'raise' the long hackles.

i call em Herring Bugs cos the heads are made with Bug Bond.

switch out the long herl for a blue or chartreuse grizzle hackle and i call it a Mack Bug.

about 9" long.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 18:23

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
Got out for a late night tossing the long rod. Started in the back with nothing to show. Some bait back there but no fish. Moved out to the surf. Threw from the surf for a little then moved to the jetties. About ten cast in hook into a solid fish. Took me into my backing. Gained half my main line onto the reel. Then the reel went. Spool popped off handed the rod to by buddy Adam and hand lined it in.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/10447841 ... 452984493/in/photostream/

33 inches took a clouser about 3 inches long. My buddy Adam got a 20+ weakie. Fish are here just got to get down.

Marc

Posted on: 2013/10/24 1:52

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE

first one didn't work. here is the fish

Posted on: 2013/10/24 8:23

From West Chester
nice fish. gotta love clousers. what reel did it trash? looks like a lamson.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 12:36

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
I think the cap to seal the drag broke. the o ring to keep the spool in place came loose and I think I lost the ball bearing that the shaft goes into. contacted them still waiting to hear back.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 12:53

From Bethlehem, PA
so yes it's lamson? I have an older velocity that is rock solid AFTER they replaced the BB with a stainless steel one. But I have been hearing of some failures recently.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 16:23

From Da 'Berg, PA
wow. 33" thats a helluva fish on a fly rod - beats my biggest of 31" ,

well done ! i bet you'll remember that one for a while....

I gotta go back up to Boston tomorow - away from the fish. which sucks.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 17:16

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
Yea a konic. I got in touch with them and they sent out a new bearing and cap today no cost. Honestly I'm really happy with the reel. The drag is great. I wish I was a guru for weight reasons but it's still a great affordable reel.It's about three year and has held up till last night. Their customer service is at the top IMO.

Marc

Posted on: 2013/10/24 17:45

From Bethlehem, PA
yes, they took really good care of me and upgraded some parts no extra charge. I was really happy, and the real has been flawless since. gets abused in my kayak in VA a few times a year.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 19:05

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com