Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Easton to Riegelsville float

I'm thinking of floating the Easton to Riegelsville stretch in a drift boat to try and hit some SMB water. Has anyone floated this stretch before? Suggestions?

Posted on: 8/3 9:50

Re: Easton to Riegelsville float
From Chester County
Quote:

mellowluke wrote:
I'm thinking of floating the Easton to Riegelsville stretch in a drift boat to try and hit some SMB water. Has anyone floated this stretch before? Suggestions?

Should be a nice float. It's a good distance and I can be long float in a drift boat if the wind blows from the south.

The River doesn't hold nearly as many smallies as it did a few years ago, but hopefully you'll find them somewhere along the float.

Have a good time and post a report.

Posted on: 8/3 10:07

From Montco
I really like that section. I usually do well on smallmouth there. That used to be my "go to" stretch for smallmouth bass. I'm not sure that the numbers are down but the ones I catch seem to be smaller than in past years. This could be my fault though as I'm always messing around with new patterns. I strongly recommend crayfish patterns be used, at least for part of the time. I've hooked lots of bass and some really sporty carp on crayfish patterns in that stretch. There are muskies in there too and I've caught an occasional striper. Good Luck!

Posted on: 8/3 15:16

From SEPA
That is my home stretch. I've only floated it once this year in July and the fishing was slow at best. I sure hope it rebounds. I've been doing somewhat better above the confluence of the delaware with the lehigh.

White poppers, buggers (white,brown,black), clouser minnows are good choices.

The fish have been around current seams lately and in the fast water.

I launch from the phillipsburg nj ramp, there is better parking there. It is a nice float, good scenery.

Good luck!

Posted on: 8/3 18:36

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
If you see to giant banana's floating wave to the Beeber2...

Posted on: 8/6 8:26

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

Trip report: weather was great, fishing was just okay. I didn't get to fish very much as I rowed, but the fly rods did not elicit a take (fishing clousers, white wooly buggers, sneaky pete, and a dry dropper). My friends picked up 2 smb and 1 sunfish on spin gear jigging tubes and fishing minnow patterns. I'd return for another float. Scenery was quite nice and lunch at 2 rivers brewery post float was really kick-ass.

Posted on: 8/10 14:46

From Chester County
Quote:

mellowluke wrote:
Trip report: weather was great, fishing was just okay. I didn't get to fish very much as I rowed, but the fly rods did not elicit a take (fishing clousers, white wooly buggers, sneaky pete, and a dry dropper). My friends picked up 2 smb and 1 sunfish on spin gear jigging tubes and fishing minnow patterns. I'd return for another float. Scenery was quite nice and lunch at 2 rivers brewery post float was really kick-ass.

Sounds like a good time, but yeah, fishing for smallies has been tough. I've taken the o-fer several times in in that section of the River.

It may be a while before decent SMB fishing returns to the River. It will take a few years of good smallie spawns and a few years for them to grow up.

Posted on: 8/11 9:12

Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

mellowluke wrote:

Sounds like a good time, but yeah, fishing for smallies has been tough. I've taken the o-fer several times in in that section of the River.

It may be a while before decent SMB fishing returns to the River. It will take a few years of good smallie spawns and a few years for them to grow up.

What happened to them? Did the smallmouth in the Delaware River suffer from the same infections as on the Susquehanna?

Posted on: 8/11 10:12

From Chester County
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

mellowluke wrote:

What happened to them? Did the smallmouth in the Delaware River suffer from the same infections as on the Susquehanna?

No, I believe that the downturn in the SMB population in the Delaware River is part of a natural cycle. There have been numerous years of unsuccessful spawns due mostly from high water events wiping out or preventing the fish from successfully spawning in the spring.

Here are the results of the D River YOY surveys from 2012 (the latest I could dig up). Check out the graph for the Middle Delaware, which is the section discussed. And from my knowledge, both 2013 and 2014 were bad spawning years.

Maybe Mike K will comment and give us more info.

Posted on: 8/11 10:55

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com