pain in the butt to clean though.....

Posted on: 2012/8/26 16:08

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

Re: Delaware coast

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Yeah...they're a mild, tender fish, but they're a lot of work for what they yield, especially if you want your fillets boneless. Bigger ones (say 14"+) will give you a couple nice fillets if you're careful and patient when cleaning them.

Was talking to one of the locals at the bait shop...when they're catching boat loads of them in August each year they don't even bother to fillet/de-bone them. Just cut the head/tail/fins, gut, and skin. Batter, deep fry, and eat with your hands, pulling the meat off the bones.

Posted on: 2012/8/26 17:56

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Thanks for the report. I wouldn't mind running into a bunch of croakers, but I'm thinking they may be waning in Sept. Snapper blues probably coming on, though. Oily, but not bad eating themselves.

Posted on: 2012/8/26 18:29

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
cut the dark meat away the white meat on small blues is really good.
swattie I learned that on I.B.S.P. when I lived on the beach in the van, had to eat what i caught cause i didn't take much meat with me..ate off the land, crabs,clams from bay and whatever I caught off beach. Did that for 2 years straight.

Posted on: 2012/8/26 19:45

Well, just got back. Didn't even fish the surf, as reports were bad and taking care of the baby was hard enough in the sand. He loved it though, he'd have crawled to Europe if we weren't there to stop him.

Did fish some in the inlet, just behind the cabin. Our cabins were really nice, 50 feet from the water, behind the coast guard station there. Fly fishing was a no go, had to cast 150 ft to even be in the ball game, and you're much better off if you are casting well over 200 ft with several ounces of weight to get down once you get it there. Otherwise, you were in rocks near shore in no time. Cast as far as you can angling upstream, leave the bail open till it hits bottom, tighten up, and let it drift till it gets to be about a 45 degree angle downstream, then reel like your life depended on it to lift it over the rocks.

My medium action trout rod wouldn't do the trick either. Quite simply, didn't hold enough line. Cast till you hit the spool knot, and it'd yank it in mid-air. So I mostly used the surf rod, which wasn't ideal either.

Croakers nowhere to be seen. Nor blues. It was a fairly popular spot, and among the species I saw caught were eels, shad, oyster toads, and weakfish. But mostly flounder. I caught around 15 flounder and one weakfish in about 6 or 7 total hours of fishing, which ain't too bad IMO. 2 of the slabs were keepers (18+ inches to be legal). Kept one, and gave the other away (was on our last day, and we had plans to go out for dinner).

Every night, under the lights of the coast guard station, there were just stuff churning up the water. It was crazy. Shad, I think, perhaps being chased from underneath. I couldn't reach the "magic zone" with my gear. Action started about 250 ft out and I was coming up 20 ft short or so. There were a handful of regulars who were reaching them, but I can't say they were catching much. If they put something small enough on they'd catch the shad, but struck out on bigger game while I was there. One guy hooked into something pretty big on a huge surface lure but lost it. Striper maybe.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 17:38

Edited by pcray1231 on 2012/9/14 17:57:26
Edited by pcray1231 on 2012/9/14 18:00:42

Here's the first keeper flatty. Ate him within 2 hours and 50 ft of where I landed him. Right at 18 inches.

The later keeper was about 20".

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0014 (500x375).jpg (127.62 KB)
1353_5053a6de5d21c.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2012/9/14 17:51

From Delaware Co.
That stinks Ray if you still have the bug there is always the Salt Jam

Posted on: 2012/9/14 17:51

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Nice report pcray...glad you were able to get some "pullage." My tactics were more or less identical to yours, just from the other side of the inlet. I guess the Croakers must have taken off since I was down there. I woulda traded a few Croakers for a legal Fluke though...nothing but shorts when I was there.

As far as the surf goes, probably a good move to skip it...I don't think you missed much. My brother was in Fenwick Island this past week and he said he tried to fish the surf one morning...he was tossing 4 oz's and said it almost immediately was winding up back on the shore. Pretty sure there were a couple hurricanes out in the open Atlantic churning up the waves last week.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 21:19

Well, we were there Monday to Friday. Monday was rough, 6 foot seas, and yes, it was due to hurricane Leslie. Tuesday through Thurs, though, were pretty calm. 1-3 foot seas. (which is still HUGE surf for a 9 month old, lol).

Just that the reports at the shops were that the surf sucked. When we were out there it didn't look like anybody else was catching anything. And unlike previous years, we kinda had a full time job in watching the baby when we were on the beach. Wherever you put him, he'd crawl full speed directly towards the water. Then you had to "save him" when a wave came in. But if you put him down, he'd aim directly towards the water again. He loves the water. Perhaps just like daddy.

Yeah, I was happy to get into the slabs. I didn't think it was bad fishing at all.

Posted on: 2012/9/15 8:21

From Harrisburg
Dear pcray,

Hey, for not having all the right gear at your disposal you did pretty well.

It sounds like the construction/dredging altered the flow along the north jetty quite a bit? You'd be surprised at the fish that hold right along that jetty wall though. I watched guy drfiting live eels take 3 stripers one afternoon and his eel wasn't ten feet off the wall for any of the fish.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2012/9/20 6:50
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

i remember one year when they dredged the fish turned on during the dredging. stirred up a lot of food. you did well for a first timer. nice flatties.....mmmmmmmmmmm miss catching and eating fresh...always added fresh crab meat to it...

Posted on: 2012/9/20 7:12

Flatty was good eatin. I filleted it, then pan fried in a bit of oil and a bit of butter. Garlic bread and mixed veggie on the side, with a dogfishhead beverage.

I did start off by using some of your flies, sandfly, and they worked (on the spinning rod). After I lost 1 or 2 to the rocks, though, I realized that was gonna be a theme. Picked up some big jig heads and white GULP minnow/curly tail thingies, and used those the rest of the time, thus saving most of your flies for later use. The sinking head and the clousers are there for the next trip, and likely will get use on bass as well.

Tim, I don't know what it was like before. There was a rock jetty right up to the coast guard station. There was a little eddy in that corner, though I didn't do any good there and it was shallow and solid rock bottom underneath. To get to the sand bottom, you had to cast beyond the slack water and into the current, i.e. beyond the wall.

I'm sure the rocks could be good at times. But nobody was catching much in the rocks, including me, and it just wasn't worth constant snags.

So with the long heaves, I tended to keep my distance from the wall a bit, because with the big freakin surf rod, I wasn't exactly real accurate with my casts, and throwing one over the fence and into the coast guard yard would have been kind of embarrassing.

Posted on: 2012/9/20 8:11

that eddy has produced some big fish over the years Pat. used to be about 25 feet deep in 1980. Caught a few tide runner weaks (over 10lb.) in there. A few 36"+ sharks to on bait..

Posted on: 2012/9/20 9:07

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com