Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Delaware coast

I'm down all the time...Your in prime position with those cottages. The new rock wall behind the coast guard station will allow you to walk with tennis shoes on to the water and make easy casts the coast guard wall. I would recommend a sinking line, since you'll need to get down. If you run into some blues, no problem you can use a clouser to get to them usually. If you get time, venture out (with family) to Roosevelt inlet or Cape Henelopen. Easy wading and good FF opportunities. The sea wall at the ferry dock can offer some decent fishing that time of year.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 15:29

From Harrisburg
Dear pcray,

I'm sorry to hear about he pothole. It was there last August, I guess it was filled as part of the bridge project. That's a shame too because it always held flounder over the years I fished it.

I tried to see if I could view any satellite views of the Inlet but everything I saw still looked like they were old views. If the new rock wall does not extend to the end of the Coast Guard bulkhead then you may still be able to fish off the new rock wall in a smaller pocket.

Flounder in the bay are all about depth and current breaks. If you find a hole you will find flounder. You can be on a 50 acre flat that is 3 feet deep but if you can find a deeper section you will find fish. Unfortunately, that pothole was the only consistently good hole I found that was easily accessible to shore fishing.

One other thing you may want to consider is renting a kayak for a couple of hours to poke around the back parts of the bay off of the main inlet channel. There is a place in Bethany Beach about one mile out Rte 26 that rents kayaks, at least they did last year. It's about a block past the Wawa on the same side of the road.

Just north of the entrance to Indian River Inlet there is a beach landing where you can launch a kayak. Immediately across from the launch area is a channel of deeper water through which schoolie stripers pass on the tide changes. You can pick up fish just before dark on a rising tide if you fish the area where channel feeds into the larger section by the ramp. They will hit a bass popper if that is all you have but you might want to pick up a couple of flies with stainless or plated hooks so your freshwater flies don't get trashed. Old Inlet Bait and Tackle has a modest selection of flies that wil work for your prospecting needs.

Good luck,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2012/8/14 20:47
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Harrisburg
Dear pcray,

Sorry for the double post!

Good luck,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2012/8/14 20:48
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I was thinking about salt and gear. My wading shoes, rod, reel, etc., and keeping them clean. But I didn't even think about the flies in the salt. This coming from a metallurgist, lol. Here I was just taking stock of clousers, I only have a couple, and contemplating an order to replenish my stock.

But yeah, aside from perhaps waiting till I'm there so I can get stainless hooks, I probably don't even wanna take my chest box along with it's small fortune of trout flies inside. I'll dig up an old fly box or something.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 21:37

Regarding the redone wall, it doesn't go to the "end" of the bulkhead, there's still a wall perpendicular to shore. But the rock wall does go straight to the bulkhead, in a straight line, cutting off the little circular cove and there's nowhere where sand goes straight to water. I don't know how recently it was done so it's possible if you were there last year it hasn't changed. Here's a picture I found on a blog. I know it shows the wrong side of the wall, but maybe you can tell if it has changed since you were there. My impression was that there was a sandy beach there in the relatively recent past.

Attach file:

jpg  wall1 (500x375).jpg (143.72 KB)
1353_502b00893838a.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2012/8/14 21:51

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Here's a pretty cheap alternative for some spikes if you want them. Been looking at them for a while but not sure how they'd actually perform.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160683192709? ... _trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Posted on: 2012/8/14 23:43

From Harrisburg
Dear Pcray,

The picture you posted shows something different from what I saw last summer, and the summers before.

You should still have a bit of a hole there where the wall joins the bulkhead so when the tide is changing and the current is running it would definitely be worth your while to explore that area.

Yes, you can no longer go right to the sand at the water's edge but the reality is that it will just like fishing anywhere else on the North jetty in that you will be 3 to 6 feet from the water's surface depending on the tides.

Edited to add - If you are going to be fly fishing and expecting bluefish it will be worth your while to buy a spool of that American Fishing Wire knotable coated wire leader material to prevent bite-offs. You can also use 25 to 30 pound mono leader material as a bite guard.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2012/8/15 6:22

Tim, I'll definitely check the area out and do some fishing, and let you know how it goes. Regarding filling the hole in, here's the before and after of the dredging, per the Army Corps. They deepened the channel a bit, filled in the "hole" near the coast guard station, and made the slope along the north wall more gradual.

Attach file:

jpg  before.JPG (71.22 KB)
1353_502b90fbd1fec.jpg 783X411 px

jpg  after.JPG (68.81 KB)
1353_502b9105414b5.jpg 782X425 px

Posted on: 2012/8/15 8:07

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
pat I have a pair of sz. 10 korkers foe sale 30.00 if ya need them, also if you need flies I can do a deal to. pm me.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 8:15

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

That "wall" is new for this season, was built of the winter (2011/2012). You can walk and fish most of that side heading back towards the IR Bay all the way to North Shore Marina.

Check out the "pipes" behind the marina as well. You can walk alot of bank area back there as well. Where pants and long sleeves though in the evening/morning, flies have been brutal.

Don't be afraid of fishing the North jetty ocean pocket early AM/late/dark...

Posted on: 2012/8/15 15:29

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Cool maps Pat, nice find. That hole was impressive!

Posted on: 2012/8/15 15:40

I use 25 pd flour,catch many bluefish up to five pounds and never lost a lure.Of course you know to hose off your tackle-flies and lures included.If you have to change fly or lure do not put them back in the cheap plastic carry box[hint] until rinsed and dried.Try not to open box if you don't have to but if you are the changing type,take all you intend to try out of box before you get salt on your hands.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 17:42

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
try these spots;

Attach file:

jpg  cape henlopen.jpg (17.18 KB)
112_502c229610177.jpg 227X300 px

jpg  indian river inlet.jpg (15.31 KB)
112_502c22a273755.jpg 227X300 px

Posted on: 2012/8/15 17:49

Edited by sandfly on 2012/8/15 18:28:54

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Just got back from a week's vacation...our rental was essentially right on IR Inlet and we were able to fish the inlet from our rental property.

We caught tons of Croaker (at times on every cast), and good numbers of short Black Sea Bass and Fluke, nothing of any real size though. Also pulled in a few small Spot, Bluefish, and Puffers in the inlet too. This was all on spin gear drifting bait (squid strips mostly) with 1 oz sinkers in the current and subsequent eddy that was formed by our rental property's bulkhead. There was a small marina in the community we rented in and all of the guys on boats were reporting the same thing...tons of Croaker (some up to 16"), and lots of sub-legal Black Bass and Fluke. According to the "bait shop guys" there were good pulls of larger Fluke in the previous weeks, but they seemed to disappear when the weather cooled this past week. I also caught wind of some sub-legal Stripers being caught in the ocean, just outside of the inlet.

We fished the surf a couple days too and caught some small Croaker and Spot just beyond the breakers, and a small Sand Shark a little further out. Fishing was definitely better in the Inlet though, so we spent most of our fishing time there...fished the mornings and then took the wives to the beach in the afternoon.

Pics:
001 - Atlantic Croaker...this was about average size. Biggest we caught was about 14"
002 - Black Sea Bass - Biggest we caught was only about 8", but the little ones (like this one) look a ton like freshwater Green Sunfish, just darker in color. Very pretty fish.

Attach file:

jpg  08-25-12 001.JPG (106.18 KB)
5058_50392c4589168.jpg 564X423 px

jpg  08-25-12 002.JPG (104.04 KB)
5058_50392c4fe108b.jpg 564X423 px

Posted on: 2012/8/25 15:49

From Gettysburg
Looks like a great time Matt. Those croakers are some mighty fine eating. I've caught a couple on small flies over the years but when they're running, they're mighty easy to catch on bait. When I was a kid in TX, we used to bring 'em home by the stringer near Corpus Christie - a fun rite of summer.

Posted on: 2012/8/26 9:14

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com