Delaware Shad

sholgate

sholgate

Have any of you fished for shad on the Delaware River?

My wife and I would to give it a try. We will wade.

Like to share any great spots?
Favorite flies?
Best time, early April?

Share if you like. Not much has been written on the whole subject, but I think I have read most of what is out there.

I'd love to hear this, too. I know Sandfly had something to share on this once before, too.

Is it April? I wasn't aware they ran that early int he year.

Check out Del River Shad Fisherman's Assoc
Not fly fishing but good for times etc
http://mgfx.com/fishing/assocs/drsfa/
http://www.drsfa.org/

Give me a few days I am putting together an article on where to fish and what you'll need in equipment for the lower river..

sandfly wrote:
Give me a few days I am putting together an article on where to fish and what you'll need in equipment for the lower river..

That sounds great. Even still, if there are any personal experiences out there, I would like to hear about them.

30 + years fishing them with the fly rod. feel free to call me. I'll be happy to talk about them as well.

Sandy will point you in the right direction. When the temp moves to around 50* they start moving up the River. That's usually in April in the lower River. You can track the run on the site given above. Great fun!

I miss my shad roe in scrambled eggs-

Never fished for shad, but I really would like to try it this year. Got hooked up with a couple guys on the DSFA who said they will take me out. This is with spinning gear of course. However, they told me they know guys that catch them on the fly. I am guessing a fly that is flashy and sparkly?

Will have to get in contact with you about them closer to the season.

Ok sent article to davekile to post in the blog area. just waiting on him..

I've caught them with spin gear and shad darts and it was pretty fun. Even if you consider yourself a flyfisher, don't feel ashamed to fish with spin gear when the circumstances warrant. It's all good.

If'm looking forward to Sandfly's tips to catch them with fly gear, too.

But if you live near there, I recommend going for shad, one way or the other. Because they're there.

I posted it on my site same place where the worm fly is.

Excellent article Sandfly. Thank you. I don't think I will get to fish the DE this year for shad, but we have a local run that I'm hoping to get into for my first experience with shad onthe fly.

Nice little presentation, thanks for sharing it.

Back