Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Delaware River Stripers

From Warminster, PA
I can't seem to find any info on when they usually run up the river. I'm assuming that the warm weather we've been having may allow it to happen a little earlier this year. Anyone know when they usually start, or a website that might have some info? Thanks for the help in advance.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 14:18

Re: Delaware River Stripers

From Parkesburg, PA
If you fish the Lambertville area I know for sure there are resident stripers that occupy the Delaware year round. I usually start fishing for them around April. You can see them chasing schools of baitfish when they are running. Go check it out and you will be ahead of the game. Not many folks flyfish for stripers in that area.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 14:53

From Bozeman
When I lived in philly, I had a few discussions with Mike from the pafbc about this subject a few times in the spring. If he finds a few moments, he may be able to help you out. While I never got to put it to use as often as I would have wished, it was good info.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 15:01

From bucks county
before i flyfished a striper chased a little herring out of the water and onto my feet. that was at bulls island, near lambertville, in the springish time. that was pretty cool. ive never actually had the chance to fish for them, its something i look forward to attempting this year.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 16:38

From Mont Co, Pa
A friend of mine says he gets them right below the falls at the Art Museum. Not with fly though.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 16:58

From Bozeman
Yeah, there isn't much backcast room there. I used to live a block or three away and tried a few times.

It's spinfishing country.

The fish do hold very close to the bank in spots, but I'm going to stay mum about what others have shared with me. They are there, and despite my failures, they are definitely within reach of shore anglers.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 17:05

From Ephrata,PA
This is the website I use for striper info, although I troll in the Maryland section. Good info on best times, places and baits/lures, etc.
http://www.stripers247.com/Delaware-River-Stripers.php

By the way, they are a blast on flies. Try a Clouser Minnow.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 19:33

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
dont waste your time fly fishing for them until late may or june. the best way to catch them is bait. once we are in the summer months you can switch to flies. around the fairmount falls can be a dangerous place. the rocks are like a jetty and some shady people hang there. i say Lambertville is a good spot to try. if you want something that will take a fly and fight harder then a trout go for shad. there tons of them and they are easy to catch.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 22:43

From philadelphia
i usually have more luck in the schuylkill than in the deleware.

i live walking distanc,and just look over a bridge till i see them chase bait.

i find a clauser the best bet.i have been working for years on a streamer that i could dead drift though the bait school and jerk.not much luck so far.better off stripping in a clouser .

Posted on: 2012/2/24 1:02

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
1st and formost, the warm winter is not that big of a factor, water temps and more important light is.
stripers can be taken from trenton to bull's island from april right on through the early summer. I spent years on the river fishing and guiding. big rods and heavy lines in early spring 10 wt and bigger. you want to get down where the stipers are chasing small shad and herring. best flies are large herring imatations. flies average 8 - 12" in length.

Attach file:

jpg  flies 019_thumb.jpg (21.36 KB)
112_4f477f2ed6269.jpg 400X281 px

jpg  7-16-2011 0000.jpg (46.54 KB)
112_4f477f47c0fbd.jpg 400X300 px

jpg  7-23-2011 001.jpg (27.33 KB)
112_4f477f609de87.jpg 400X252 px

jpg  845_tying_2008_070.jpg (26.78 KB)
112_4f477fac346d8.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2012/2/24 7:13

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Chester County
Hope Mike will check in, but I searched and found this striper post by Mike (it may save him some typing):

Quote:

Mike wrote:
When: Sometimes as early as the last week in March, but more typically in April and May, concentrating on periods of steady or rising water temps. An especially good water temp range is 60 F - 68F, but the fish will certainly hit in cooler water than that. The problem is that they are not real common in near shore areas (for shore fly or lure anglers) until the temp hits around 60 F. The exceptions to this are in the few hundred yards below Fairmount Dam on the Schuylkill in Phila and at Trenton Falls, which is the tidal set of rapids between Morrisville, Pa and Trenton, NJ. At those two locations you can pretty much just go by the time of year and not necessarily the 60 F rule. That may also be true at some NJ creek mouths, but generally 60F is a good rule of thumb for near-shore areas. Good numbers are often present in the Schuylkill in April and May.

Where/when: Aside from what I mentioned above, once 60 F is hit and temps are steady or rising, fish near shore areas during the three hours before and three hours after high tide. Fish will typically be in 4-10 feet of water, but may be as shallow as 2 ft. So, if you wade out, they may be in front of you and behind you. Good spots on the Delaware Estuary are along sandy beaches with good current, creek mouths, island shorelines that face the main river channel, concrete rip-rapped areas, again paralleled by good current speed, sand bars, discharges from large wetlands, and, if you can stand it, sewage treatment plant discharges. Stay out of coves, other than at the points where the coves meet the main river. The greatest amount of shore access to good habitat in the Pa. portion of the Delaware Estuary is on the NJ side, if you can gain access. One good spot is the nature center at the end of the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge where there is good habitat for about a mile below the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge. That good habitat continues upstream to about a mile below Dredge Harbor, by-passing the walled stretch at Cinnaminson, NJ, but I am not aware of the legal access situation other than at the nature center. I see people shore fishing the stretch between TP bridge and Dredge Harbor at places, but I don't know the status of the lands they crossed to get to those places. Another potentially good spot is the shoreline along and upstream from National Park, NJ, where there is a public boat ramp. The fish sometimes show up on that sandy beach in big numbers.

On the Pa side, shore spots with good concentrations of fish are limited. One popular one is on the stone wall across the street and behind the UPS terminal, which is on the back side of the Phila Airport.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 7:58

From Tailwater USA
If you want stripers on the fly you need to fish the flats in MD. Have caught numerous stripers 5 to 45 pounds there over the years. As for the upper DE we were fishing the junction pool once and say a 35+ pound striper taking trout. It was awesome.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 12:23

suckabanna flats in spring same time as the delaware. Its cool when they are cruising the flats. I found a flat in the river near scudders falls (rt. 95) where 30 lbers would lay in 2 ft. of water to feed. just drift a all white deceiver in there and wham fish on..

Posted on: 2012/2/24 15:37

From Ephrata,PA
Sassafras River, just south and east of the flats is a good spot for bruisers as well. We got skunked there this past fall but a few buddies of mine hammer them in the spring and summer. I can't wait for spring and summer!

Posted on: 2012/2/24 16:26

Oh yeah the sassafras, stripers, blues, pickeral, and bass all in one area. turkey point for stripers too. have caught them in the C & D canal too. choptank, bay bridge too.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 19:31

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com