Corson’s Inlet, Ocean City & Strathmere, NJ

M

Mike

This is intended to be a report on the general situation at the subject location and not a fly fishing report. It may be helpful to fly anglers here, however, and that is the intent.

Fished the inlet and the adjacent ocean fronts once or twice per day for the past 15 days. The big push of mullet out to sea was on Friday, but there were still plenty in the cove after that, as well as spearing (silversides) and peanut bunker. Loads of 10-13 inch bluefish present along with some 14-15 inchers and a group that ran from 16-22 inches. Caught a number of the last group, 16 or 17 of them, on poppers and stick baits worked on the surface along the sod banks and in the rips. The inlet is also loaded with small black sea bass. A few stripers...very few...are also being caught, along with a few weakfish and some flounder.

I have no info on the night fishing since I only did so one night and did not run into any other anglers who had fished at night. I was successful just before dark, but not after dark.

Saw only one fly angler. Winds were tough enough for lure casting so on most days fly anglers would have had a tough time. A few early mornings and some evenings/nights would have been more favorable for fly fishing attempts.

Thanks for the update. I'm itching to get to the NJ shore soon.

Mike I'm going to buy you a camera phone so I can finally get a fish pic of you with a fish you didn't electrocute .

Back