Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Chain pickerel

From Mount Joy, PA
I spoke with a couple fishermen as I was putting in who remarked how the visibility was but a couple feet. These were guys who fished the lake regularly and knew that conditions were less-than-ideal. They commented, much like you, about all the rain really stirring things up.

I have no doubt the fish are there and I'm still learning a lot about lake fishing. It's challenging in its own way because in many of these "featureless" lakes, finding the fish is half the battle. In some ways, it reminds me of saltwater fishing the back bays where it's just a matter of repeatedly putting the fly in the water.

As I said, I'm definitely intrigued by Memorial Lake and knowing that it has such a diverse selection of fish makes it that much more of a draw. Knowing that I could hook into any one of the "predator" fish such as a Muskie, Pike, or Pickerel is pretty neat.

On a side note, I paddled up Indiantown Run a bit and waded around that ice cold water for a bit. Kind of neat to be warmwater fishing one moment, and the next freezing your feet off in a coldwater run!

Let's plan on getting out in the spring and wetting a line!

Posted on: 2011/10/10 10:08

From Harrisburg
Dear wg,

Yes, let's stay in touch. I'd definitely be interested in fishing with you in the Spring.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2011/10/11 21:40
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Berks County
Fished the upper end of Scotts Run Lake yesterday morning for a couple of hours. The weather was cooperating with air temps in the low 60’s, cloudy sky, and consistent breeze. Got into some decent pickerel on a black bugger. More than half hit the fly within 15 feet of where I was standing.

Switched to a yellow hopper after the bite slowed and hit the shallows for some serious sunfish action. I had the whole upper half of the lake to myself as the crowd concentrated in the lower end after those silly trout.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 19:47

- S. Curtis

From Bel Air, MD
Quote:

flyfishingNZ wrote:
You can use this to get some places that are close.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/wwcw.htm

If you are in State College area you can try Lake Colyer, I have some pictures of the fish in there on my blog.

My brother, who lives in the State College area, told me they are draining Colyer lake this year - not sure when. Might want to look into it and try to get over there before it's too late.

Posted on: 2013/5/21 17:27

From Lewistown, PA
+1 on Colyer lake in state college. Idk why you'd ever go up that far, but if you did you'd probably find chain pickerel in there. I'd always catch a few in the grass near the bank when I was a student up there.

Posted on: 2013/5/25 13:05

From Curwensville PA
Hi all, I have seen on the news that they are working on draining Colyer lake to fix the breast. I don't know how far down they will drain it or what the fishing conditions may be like but I am planing on taking a drive down there today and possibly wetting a line or 2 to see what I can catch. I will take a couple of pics and see if I can post them here to give everyone a chance to see what it looks like.
Sam

Posted on: 2013/5/26 9:22

From Curwensville PA
Here are the promised pics.

Attach file:

jpg  100_0433.jpg (37.73 KB)
8463_51a4efce7d438.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  100_0434.jpg (39.72 KB)
8463_51a4f015da310.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2013/5/28 13:57

I haven't fished there in years and was planning on stopping back on my way home from the little j in a few weekends. Was it fishable, Cricket? I saw the PFBC post that said they'll let you keep fishing until it gets dangerously low... in the interim the fishing might be really interesting.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:08

From Curwensville PA
Yes I would say that it is still fishable as I saw people on the water in a boat. Unless you intend to fish at the inlet I would suggest parking on the breast side. My pics were taken from what I would call the far side of the lake. This is the side where the signs lead you to. It would be a fair walk from the parking lot to the water. I didn't drive around to the other side as I had someplace else to be.
I don't know what they would call dangerous about fishing there unless the bottom was too muddy or too soft to walk on.
I just wonder where all the fish go when they drain down a dam like that? Do they stay in what little water is left, do they head up and down stream? I would think that if they stay, that would really create a target rich environment for any fishing.
Sam

Posted on: 2013/5/31 7:43

From Bel Air, MD
Quote:

Cricket wrote:

I don't know what they would call dangerous about fishing there unless the bottom was too muddy or too soft to walk on.

Sam

That's what my brother told me - in order to get out to where the water if deep enough to fish, you have to walk through the soft sediment, and he sunk in too much and felt it was dangerous to walk on. It's too bad - those pickerel LOVED to prowl the shallows looking for bluegills!

Posted on: 2013/5/31 10:16

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com