Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Chain Pickerel on the fly

From The Hilton
Lehigh Canal has some, I wouldnt say it's loaded but there are some big ones. A buddy of mine fishes Pecks Pond and does pretty well. They would be a blast on a 5 weight I bet.

Posted on: 2009/12/27 11:08

From Bucks County
Years ago (before boat)we used to wade the pocono lakes in early spring casting streamers to the pickerel in the shallows, a good way to start the season.
The Delaware canal in bucks county was loaded with them. You could spend the day walking the canal covering alot of ground and not being dissapointed. When they drained the canal and only about a foot or so of water was left we turned our attention to the carp that were left behind. Sightfishing for them was a blast, it was like fishing the flats. Eventually that dried up too, sad because it was only 25 minutes away.

Posted on: 2009/12/27 12:55

From York, PA
Years ago when I lived in south NJ, the pickerel was the most common fish in the fresh water system. Much more abundant than largemouth or crappies.
Just north of Dennisville Lake is a lake called "East Pickerel Lake" I caught lots of big pickerel there. You couldn't wade the NJ lakes because the bottom was like quick sand! Also lots of snakes, big snapping turtles and the NJ State Bird..... the mosquito! You really need a jon boat or a canoe to fish most pickerel lakes.
Like SandFly said, any bright streamer will catch as good as a spinner.
When you go farther north, the pike and muskys take over, but in NJ the pickerel was king.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 2:06

From Bozeman
I have also fished the ponds of jersey for pickerel.

We would walk out on to a dock and poke a hole in the pond scum with a stick. Drop a live minnow in and wait about 15 seconds. You could catch 4 or 5 of them before moving 10 feet down the dock and making a new hole.

It was a blast.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 9:13

From S.E. PA
Pickerel will eat anything smaller than they are,and try to eat things larger. I agree any flashy streamer should work well.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 9:28

From pittsburgh
my only exp with a pickrel was when i was fishin back whre the raystown branch of the juniata river meets shawnee creek right off the turnpike i didn know what the hell it was lol

Posted on: 2010/1/3 9:28

-me

Quote:

They turn active in the cold?

My very first fish on a fly back in 1963 was pickerel that I caught by casting onto the ice in a half frozen pond and pulling it into the open. The pickerel hit as soon as it touched water. They're definitely active in colder weather.

A Mickey Finn is a great fly for pickerel; I've caught hundreds of them on it.

Posted on: 2010/1/3 17:03

I'll second the use of a popper to target these fish. I fish in a few lakes in the northern poconos for largemouth but when we get near reed and grass beds, sometimes we'll switch to red and white poppers with weed guards. Great to see the ripple of the grass and then the water from 10+ ft away as they charge the fly! The rush and strike are the best but the fight is pretty wimpy until they get really big. Have fun.

Posted on: 2010/2/6 10:05

From lancaster county
I catch them in Wayne County of a private lake. I use heavy leaders and big white buggers. They slam them. I will say though that if you are fishing from a boat........

expect them to hit the fly right before you make another cast. They will follow it right up to the boat and slam it out of no where! Scares the crap out of me everytime and i love it
And i got great nerves. Its hard to make me jump but these fish do it.

I have caught them in the swattie and its tribs. One i caught was in a brookie stream. Them poor brookies I kept that pickerl.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 10:59

From S.E. PA
I've noticed the past few years that I havent been catching many pickeral.Anyone else notice this ?

Posted on: 2010/2/20 21:04

From Lehighton
Beltzville Lake is filthy with em. I fish spin and baitcasting there and you can catch a pickerel on pretty much anything you throw in that lake. Gotta agree with sal about them eatin it right when ur ready to make another cast. Last year my 3 year old nephew had one bite off his crappie jig right next to the boat. He was really confused as to what just happened

Posted on: 2010/3/3 22:18

From Bozeman
I managed one today on scott's run lake by wading the shallows and chucking a tiny olive bugger. Quick strips seemed to do the trick.

I have yet to go pickerel fishing and not catch at least one yellow perch. It's happened dozens of times. I am guessing they prefer similar waterways?

Posted on: 2010/4/25 21:47

From Johnstown, PA
Are they native to Pa? Do they naturally reproduce here if not?

Posted on: 2010/5/1 8:44

From Gettysburg
Quote:

osprey wrote:
Are they native to Pa? Do they naturally reproduce here if not?

Yes, chain pickerel are native to PA and the northeast. Generally, their numbers have traditionally been higher in regions east of the Appalachian range. They're particularly dense in the Coastal Plain from MD up to ME and thrive in ponds and brackish water. There is a theory that they evolved in these areas so as to be out of competition with larger esocids like pike and muskies (muskies are native to the Mississippi drainage and traditionally were not found in central and eastern PA).

Posted on: 2010/5/1 11:10

From West Chester
caught 15 chaineys on clousers up in the Poconos today! lots of fun. also caught a few Perch, Bluegills and a single (but very nice) Largemouth that was probably 2.5-3 lbs.

it was my first time flyfishing on a lake. pretty fun day!

Posted on: 2010/5/10 22:55

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com