Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Carpin today

From Etters,Pa
Jack your 9' 7wt will work just fine.

Posted on: 2/3 17:47

From Ferguson Twp.
Very good, really looking forward to getting out and chasing those freight trains with fins.

Posted on: 2/3 19:55

From Pipersville Pa.
DD, you mentioned your new rod and it's accuracy. Eventhough that may be true. I have a feeling that it is your casting that is most accurate. Great job.

GenCon

Posted on: 2/8 9:39

Ian Anderson, Thick as a brick.

From Etters,Pa
Quote:
DD, you mentioned your new rod and it's accuracy. Eventhough that may be true. I have a feeling that it is your casting that is most accurate. Great job. GenCon Posted on: Today 9:39

Thanks guy but I'm a bit of a hack when it comes to casting. Due to a half dozen shoulder surgeries I tend to get sloppy quick. I'm by no means a rod guru but I think the reason the H2 is so accurate is due to the soft delicate tip and incredible power down deep. Out of all the rods I own it's quickly becoming the second most enjoyable rod I own second only to my Sage XP. Like I said Im by no means a rod guru but I am a bit of a rod junkie.

Posted on: 2/8 14:06

From Etters,Pa
Well I finally got my March carp today but it almost cost me big time. It was a tough day fishing with the wind which made sight fishing almost impossible. I hit a few spots trying to find refuge from the wind but with only small windows of little or no wind. I finally found a small pod of carp in about 3 ft of water. Not ideal conditions but it was my only chance. I dead drifted a nymph to these fish very carefully as to not spook them for almost an hour....and nothing. I was about to call it a day when I thought maybe I'll throw on a split shot and hope I don't get hung up. After getting hung up the first two casts I casted again this time the wind caught my line and formed a huge bow in the line. The wind actually helped keep my fly just off the bottom then my line went tight and I thought I was hung up and I gave my rod a quick jerk trying to get unstuck when my rod doubled over and line started pealing off. Finally fish on! I knew it was a nice fish because I had a real hard time turning him. After about 5 mins I realized it wasn't that big but still a nice fish. I had him about 15ft from me and reached for my net and thought he's pretty tuckered out so I decided to just swing him towards me and not net him. So I put my rod under my arm and grabbed my leader and decided to take a pic of him in the water but as soon as I cradled him with one hand and took a pic he decided to make another run and yanked my rod out from under my arm. There went my rod with the fish still attached. Luckily I was able to chase after the rod and dive in after it but in the process of flailing around trying to stand back I lost lost the fish but got my rod back. Now that I was soaked head to toe I made my way back to the truck. As I was putting the H2 back in the tube I was thinking that was almost a 1200 dollar bad day but hey at least I got my March carp. This is the only pic I got of the fish but I won't forget it anytime soon.

Attach file:

jpg  image.jpg (29.48 KB)
5782_532c8a88e4fcc.jpg 800X448 px

Posted on: 3/21 14:52

From Pipersville Pa.
D-D, nice fish. Great story. Glad you did not loose your rod. But nice job.

GC

Posted on: 3/21 15:06

Ian Anderson, Thick as a brick.

From Philadelphia
Don't think he only dives in while carpin'. I've seen him back flip off of a boulder on a brookie stream in the winter! The boy just ain't right!

Posted on: 3/21 20:04

From Etters,Pa
Lol....I'm all about combat fly fishing.

Posted on: 3/21 21:41

From SE Pa
Great story & congrats on a serious feat !

Posted on: 3/21 21:47

From Camp Hill, PA
I have 150 yards of backing on a cartridge spool on a 5 wt rig. It will be fun!

Posted on: 3/21 23:25

Perhaps you are already aware of this early spring carp behavior pattern, but if not, I'll explain. My office is on a shallow cove off of the main lake at Nockamixon. Likewise, I fish a shallow cove off of the main lake at Blue Marsh in the last half of March and the first week of April. In one case winds blow into the cove and on bright days, push a little warm surface water into the cove. In both cases, when the air temp is not particularly warm, the coves warm up in 2-3 ft of water a little more rapidly than the rest of the lake due to the clear water, mud bottom, and solar heating. Carp, as well as baitfish and the occasional striper hybrid, are attracted to these conditions, which don't last very long. As soon as the rest of the two lakes begin to warm or as soon as we have an exceptionally cold night, the fish are gone. The carp may return, however, once the coves warm again, which might be late the very same day. The carp are quite vulnerable to the fly angler at that time and there are schools of carp rather than an occasional fish to which you will be able to cast. You might want to check for this carp behavior pattern at your local lake. You can find the proper coves by checking for the shallow coves into which the winds blow when blowing from the north, northwest, or west. Likewise, you may also want to identify coves with extensive shallows toward the back ends of those coves. That's where you will find the fish.

Posted on: 3/22 9:58

From Harleysville
Mike is right on about the coves, Some lakes around here can really turn on during the spring. If you hit it right their will be many targets to chose from

Posted on: 3/23 10:03

From Ferguson Twp.
Why couldn't I have been there for that one!!! Congrats on getting both your carp and your rod back.

Posted on: 3/23 18:43

From Lancaster
That's a great story Dan. Congrats on your March carp.

Posted on: 3/23 18:58

From State College
Call me the next delta dog, but both my last two outings on spring I caught carp.

Posted on: 3/24 18:45

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com