Carpin’ 2019

dc410

dc410

It’s been kind of a tradition of mine over the past few years that I spent some time on the first morning of the traditional PA trout season chasing carp with the fly rod. I went out early this morning (don’t have to wait till 8:00 to fish for carp) and caught my first carp of the 2019 carpin’ season. The fact that I inadvertently left my net laying in the bed of my truck made it even more challenging. I managed to land the 27” carp without the net. It’s been about 10 months since I actually stuck a carp with the fly rod due to last years strange weather and high, muddy water conditions. I also had a huge catfish hooked this morning but lost it (not sure if it was a bullhead or a channel) but it put up a great fight. Looking forward to a much better carpin’ season in 2019 than last year. Here’s to tight lines and sreamin’ reels!

dc410 wrote:
It’s been kind of a tradition of mine over the past few years that I spent some time on the first morning of the traditional PA trout season chasing carp with the fly rod. I went out early this morning (don’t have to wait till 8:00 to fish for carp) and caught my first carp of the 2019 carpin’ season. The fact that I inadvertently left my net laying in the bed of my truck made it even more challenging. I managed to land the 27” carp without the net. It’s been about 10 months since I actually stuck a carp with the fly rod due to last years strange weather and high, muddy water conditions. I also had a huge catfish hooked this morning but lost it (not sure if it was a bullhead or a channel) but it put up a great fight. Looking forward to a much better carpin’ season in 2019 than last year. Here’s to tight lines and sreamin’ reels!

Nice.... where are the pics at cant leave us hanging after a 10 drought :-D

Fredrick wrote:

Too dumb to figure out the photo thing anymore. Something changed in the way I used to post pics and I don’t even have time to try to figure it out. Sorry to leave you hangin’.

dc410 wrote:
Fredrick wrote:

Too dumb to figure out the photo thing anymore. Something changed in the way I used to post pics and I don’t even have time to try to figure it out. Sorry to leave you hangin’.

I found a pic resizer app in the app store . It beats having to use a photo sharing website . Just make sure the pic is resized to
Maxium file size: 150K. I thinks the size is 640 x 640

nice job John.
Missed you guys at the tying jam...hope to see you at the pavilion in a few weeks...
I've been working in Central Pa for the last few months but haven't had opportunity or weather to fish. Job ends after next week so hope to get a little time on Spring or Little J if weather and job cooperate.

Some mulberry trees are producing much earlier than normal this year. Get out there and check them out. The window of opportunity could be really short this year with the amount of gusty thunderstorms rolling through the area on a regular basis. I found some very actively feeding carp on berries early Saturday morning (and managed to stick a couple) which is about 2 weeks early according to my notes over the past 4 years.

Fredrick wrote:
dc410 wrote:
Fredrick wrote:

I found a pic resizer app in the app store . It beats having to use a photo sharing website . Just make sure the pic is resized to
Maxium file size: 150K. I thinks the size is 640 x 640

This is exactly what I do but the overall quality uploaded is kind of terrible.

Carp are still on the berries, but they’re getting really tough to fool. They are very complacent and super selective. Brought one to the net early this morning but had a ton of flat out refusals on my deer hair mulberry fly.

I've fished on the west coast for salmon and steelhead, the south for bass and such but the Carp is the toughest fish to try and fool into eating a fly.
We went to fluro leaders and tippets and it helps but their just like Women when their ready you'll know.

Don't overlook the SanJaun if they get fussy, and a prince nymph works too....sometimes.

Carpo wrote:

Don't overlook the SanJaun if they get fussy, and a prince nymph works too....sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve never tried a San Juan worm for carp. Actually I’ve never really tied or fished many San Juan worms for any species, but it makes a lot of sense why a carp would eat one. The key will be to weight it effectively so that it gets down into the feeding zone quickly without dropping “the bomb” right on the feeding carp’s head. As the season moves along I may need to try to stick one on a San Juan, or at least use it as a potential change up. I do sometimes get into a rut with my confidence flies and carp may look dumb but they certainly are not. Thanks again. Tight lines and screamin’ reels!!

I thought you all would enjoy these pics...
Finally got a little better water and the 17 year Cicadas put that together with friends and a cooler of beverages.
Boom!
Several bass came to hand as well but that's for another threads somewhere.
I failed to connect with Mr Rubber lips, just I'm forced to just stick to big trout instead... LOL

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 3
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 2
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 3
Moving water in cicada country that isn't totally blown out? It's like finding a unicorn! Well done.

Really cool! Carp on top on a cicada pattern is something I’ve tried to do but haven’t accomplished yet. I’m hoping that one of these years all of those stars line up. Good stuff!

Nice Dave , I never thought that I would see Albatros with something other than a trout in his hands .

Some of my recent carp catches

Attachments

• C3EC55B7-2479-44AB-B3AE-621FD5E354F3.jpeg
    C3EC55B7-2479-44AB-B3AE-621FD5E354F3.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 2
  • F4FB4E40-2A28-416E-8DCB-2347F446D2AF.jpeg
    F4FB4E40-2A28-416E-8DCB-2347F446D2AF.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 2
Here is one from earlier in the season taken on top on a deer hair mulberry fly.

Mainly trying to see if I can figure out how to attach a photo again.

Attachments

• carp20196.jpg
    carp20196.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 3
dc410 wrote:
Here is one from earlier in the season taken on top on a deer hair mulberry fly.

Mainly trying to see if I can figure out how to attach a photo again.

Nice fish.

That’s a great fat lipped river pig! Gotta love those mulberry flies

Back