Carp on the fly

P

pwk5017

Ok, I attempted to do a search on the forum for carp fishing, but after sifting through countless threads and posts not related to carp fly fishing I gave up and decided to make a plea to the greater community. Anyone into chasing carp on the fly? I would love some tips and techniques for pursuing these fish, because they seem pretty challenging from my first rudimentary attempts. Also, any blogs or articles on the subject would be awesome. Thanks.

Patrick

Carp on the fly has got to be one of my favorite kinds of fishing, if not my favorite. I have only been doing it for a year now, but it has so vastly improved all aspects of my fishing it's unbelievable. If you have a little patience you will catch them, and it is an absolute blast when you do. I'll give some basic pointers and then at the end I'll provide a list of some great carp fly fishing blogs.

Gear: Wear high quality polarized sunglasses and a brimmed hat. I use Costa 580 lenses, and they are spectacular. But any pair of quality polarized sunglasses will work, and are a must. I have two carp outfits. I have a 7'6" 5 wt I use for smaller creeks, and the smaller carp that live in them. For a while this was my only carp setup, and it worked fine. Until one day I hooked up with a real bruiser, and the rod and reel really were no match. I landed the fish, but only with some patience and luck. Hook something like that near any kind of brush and you can kiss it goodbye. Like I said, the 5 wt IS great for fishing small, clear spring creeks and making super delicate presentations. The average creek carp with run you into your backing on a 5 wt. I use just a standard weight forward 5 wt line of a muted color. For many trips I used bright orange with about 11 feet of leader and tippet, and the carp never seemed spooked, so you can probably get away with whatever color you have. I use a leader of 8 lb and a fluorocarbon tippet of 8 lb as well. The particular model rod is a Dogwood Canyon (Bass Pro Special), and the reel I use is a Cabela's Prestige Premier. They both function flawlessly for what I use them for. My big carp setup is a 9' 7wt. I use this for the waters with lots of brush and/or big carp. It is overpowered for small creeks, but it is still a great fight on the bigger carp. In the beginning I was all for light tackle, but now I have realized the 7 weights are definitely a better choice when you are dealing with lots of snags or big carp, or both. And a nice carp will still run you well into the backing on a 7 wt. Again, I use dull colored, weight forward line, and a 9 foot 8 lb leader with a 8 lb tippet. The rod I use is an Echo Ion, and the Reel is a Cabela's RLS. They are both great.

Flies: In small creeks, I like to use medium to large, mud colored nymphs. Small, lightly weighted crayfish patterns also work great (Carp candy, Whitlocks Near 'nuff size 8). When I fish the bigger waters, I use almost all crayfish patterns. Whitlock's Near 'Nuff is always good to me. I like a size 6 in deeper water, and a size 8 for shallow water when the carp could spook easily. Carp Candy and Stalcup's Crazy Dad work great as well.

There are a few things carp will do that call for somewhat specialized flies. Some days, carp will squirm into the shallowest waters, backs out of water, feeding aggressively. My go to fly is a San Juan Worm. It lands delicately, but is nice and bright and attracts their attention. A well placed fly all but guarantees a hook up. Another strange thing carp will do it shove their faces into the bank and root ferociously, I assume for insects. This is when I pull out either a small black or brown Wooly Bugger, or a Red San Juan Worm. I prefer the Wooly Bugger, as I feel a SMALL, SMALL, SMALL disturbance upon entry into the water can be beneficial in this case. Again, a well placed cast is an almost certain hookup.
There are times when carp eat at the surface, but I have never successfully caught one as I have only seen them doing it a handful of times.

Presentation: I can't stress enough how spook carp are. Sneakiness is a virtue when carp fishing. I wear muted colors. Usually longs sleeved pants and shirt to protect from the burn hazel as I stalk the banks. Look for puffs of mud, tails wagging in the shallows, bubbles, or simply the carp itself. When a carp is spotted, crouch down slowly and think of a game plan. Make as little movement as possible. If you spook a carp, you spook the whole school as carp emit pheromones warning other carp nearby of danger. Cast a few feet beyond the carp and bring it in to him. I like the flies around six inched left or right of his nose. That way he sees it, and you see him turn and take it. When a carp bites, there is no feel transmitted to your hand. You have to watch him and either see when he takes it or guess. Usually as soon as he takes the fly, he spits it right back out, realizing it is fake. So you have to be quick on the draw, but not too quick. Carp also have incredible smell/taste. Rub your fly in the mud to cover up your scent on it. After a little time on the water, you will begin to recognize the body language of carp that are not interested in eating. I usually seek out the carp that are actively feeding by stalking from the banks. I have fished for many kinds of fish, from bass to tuna, and carp are by far the hardest to fool. So if you find yourself spooking a lot, don't be discouraged. There is so much more to learn, and I am sure you will have a blast catching your first carp.

Here are some links:

http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

http://www.flycarpin.com/

http://thirdcoastfly.com/category/carp/

http://goldenbonefish.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WevZGgZYTPc&feature=related

Awesome, thanks so much for the reply. This all stemmed from me spotting several carp in a small/medium stream where I fish for smallmouth. I came across carp two times and had heard all about the joys of carp on a fly rod, so I thought I would give it a whirl. Probably spent an hour each time casting at carp with no takes. It was pretty disheartening, so both times I switched back to targeting smallmouth and had a blast hooking them to wash the bad taste of defeat out of my mouth. I have a 5wt and will be fishing 3x tippet, so I will just have to take her easy if/when I do hook one. So far, so good with my okuma helios reel tho, so I am confident it has carp stopping capabilities. I have never fished for carp before, so I dont know how to put length into weight, but I would say these carp I spotted were between 24"-40". A couple specific questions if you dont mind answering them:
Would an indicator be beneficial in detecting strikes or are they that subtle that the indy wouldnt go down?
Can you get in the water or are they so spooky that even the slightest disturbance in the water will turn them off?
How do you typically approach your target, downstream, across stream, upstream?

Thanks again, it was a humbling experience, but I am so pumped to get one(I havent even caught a carp on conventional gear)

From all my experiences, I don't really need an indicator, as I can see when the carp takes it. I have never tried it, but I don't think they would really help. The take is just so subtle. Who knows?

I usually stay on the bank. It gives me a higher vantage point, and they are less likely to spook. Sometimes when the water is really shallow I will get in, because I think wading adds a whole other dimension of difficulty, and spotting carp in the shallow water is much easier. Where I fish shallow means a foot or less, like on gravel bars. I've tried wading for carp in three foot murky water and its just horrible. All you see is a big swirl of mud at your feet where the carp have bolted off. If you want to wade, you have to go very slow.

I approach my target walking against the current when I am wading. When I am stalking from shore, I walk up and down the banks. Personally, I think it's desirable to have the carp facing away from you, but honestly I doubt it matters all that much. What I base my approach more on is the angle of the sun. It is so important to try to get the sun behind you to prevent excessive glare on the water.

Another great fly I forgot to mention is the fleeing crayfish, in the smallest size you can find.

If you don't mind me asking, what stream do you fish? A 40 inch carp is way bigger than any carp I've caught on the fly. My biggest was only 30 inches. If the stream has any obstructions or snags whatsoever, you may want to consider something more that a 5 wt. I once hooked into a 33 inch carp on conventional tackle, and with 8 lb line on a 3000 reel the thing came super close to spooling me on the first run.

I hope this help, and wish you the best of luck catching you first carp!

Ok, after probably 5 hours of casting over carp/water where I know carp inhabit, I finally landed one. He was in about 18" of water in a local pond. I landed a san juan a foot in front of his nose and he hammered it. This was by far the most exciting take of the season. Stalking the fish and knowing you have one, maybe two casts to entice the fish into a take adds an exciting level to the game. After setting the hook, I was so pumped that my heart was racing. Immediately, I was expecting the craziest fight I have ever had on my 5wt. WRONG. I put some slight pressure on the line and gently reeled him in. I think at one point the fish just swam in towards me. He ended up breaking my line when I had him at my feet, but a few minutes of wrestling around in some foul smelling mud ended with a crap photo for verification of my first carp. So, whats the deal? How does a 27" carp just roll over and allow itself to be casually reeled in and landed? Any one had a similar experience with carp submitting the second it's hooked? This pond does not receive alot of fishing pressure. I know of maybe 2-3 other people that fish it occasionally for carp. Just wondering if this is the norm somtimes, because if this is what these fish typically fight like, I feel like the butt of a joke.

Attachments

• carp.jpg
    carp.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 4
My experience is the opposite. Have hooked two, landed one, neither intentionally...was fishing for Largemouth with Buggers. Both times they made an immediate run in the 180 degree opposite direction away from me. The one that broke me off did so as I applied too much pressure against this run. The one I landed took about 5 minutes probably and included several runs across the pond after I had gained a good bit of line. Don't know if you're the rule and I'm the exception or vice versa, but that's my experience with them.

Ive been reading alot of blog posts and even tom rosenbauer talking about carp in his podcast series,and ALL of them say how strong carp are and how they make long runs yada yada yada. I have never caught a carp before, so my first attempts with the fly rod have been my first attempts in general. I certainly hope from here on out, I get the fighters, because this one was just plain lame. Especially with all the hype that has been created about the fish and the repeated failures on my part. I guess I just ended up with the docile one of the pond? I was curious if this can be a common occurrence with carp where some fight and some dont, thats why I posted the story.

Were your carp big? I would take a guess and say this one weighed 10-12lbs. I think that is an average fish for a pond.

Sounds like you got quite a weirdo. I have only had one carp do that to me.

Complete guess, but maybe the pond is so low on oxygen the carp can't put up much of a fight or something. I don't know if that's even possible, but maybe.

pwk5017 wrote:
Were your carp big? I would take a guess and say this one weighed 10-12lbs. I think that is an average fish for a pond.

Not sure on weight, the one I landed was probably 20" or so. The one that broke off seemed bigger, but I never got it that close...it was swimming away from me the entire time until it broke off.

I should add, I caught these fish in the Spring...late April/early May when the water was likely a lot cooler than it is now. Maybe higher temps, less DO as trevor mentioned has something to do with their sluggishness?

If you like fishing for them give it another try...sometimes fish fight strong, other times they don't. Who knows, but only one fish probably isn't enough data to make a case either way.

I caught a 30" carp last year that took all but 20 minutes to land. Granted, this was on the Tully and I was fishing for trout, so my set up was not ideal, but the sob took me out to the backing several times. Definitely not a roll over fish.

PWK5017 - Not every carp will take you to your backing but they are nearly the only freshwater fish that will with reasonable frequency! Pond fish are defenitely less likely to stick it to you. In my experience the bigger the water the stronger the fish.

That being said you got hosed! 10 to 12 pound fish are usually quite a thrill in any body of water. Sounds like a health issue to me, either because of oxygen, temperature or something else up with that pond or that specific fish. Even a 5 to 6lb carp fights at least on par with and probably a little bit better than an equivalent bass.

Some warmwater species like carp and catfish are funny. You can catch one that fights like a piece of driftwood, and another will run into the next county. I've even caught healthy smallmouth in the 15-18" range that didn't put up much of a fight after a minute, and then caught 12" smallmouth that fought every second until released. It could be the particular fish, or the water temp that day, etc. The few carp I've caught were decent fighters, and my wife caught an 18 incher that fought like it was wired! There's
a lake near me with some really HUGE carp, but I don't target them: too many really huge bass! :-D

Ok, I suppose it was just that particular fish/body of water, because I hooked up with this carp in a medium sized stream today and was blown away by its power. After I set the hook, I probably had 8' of line at my feet pinched into my rod with my right hand. The thing took line so fast it gave me one hell of a friction burn. It took me 5-8 mins to bring this 21" 8lb(guessing on the weight) to hand. I am pretty fortunate to have landed it, because there were several brush piles and fallen trees that it went into and could have easily broke me off if it had snagged my line. I obviously did my best to steer the fish away from such obstructions, but on 4x tippet and a 5wt, I felt slightly outgunned. Spectacular runs and an overall awesome fight. Yeah you guessed it, im hooked on carp right now.

Question about playing the fish, can you over play a carp? Im using slightly lighter than recommended tackle, but I still fought this fish aggressively, so I know I didnt over play this fish-- gave me a healthy face full of water when I gingerly cradled it for a release. However, I have seen fish that are easily a foot longer and much thicker than this guy, so those are the ones that I fear to overplay.

Patrick

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 5
That's awesome! Glad you got to experience the fight of a carp. What did you fool him with?

That's awesome! Glad you got to experience the fight of a carp. What did you fool him with?

Nice!

As far as overplaying them, it's possible to overplay any fish, but as a general rule fish from the minnow family (especially the larger ones - Carp, Fallfish, Chubs, etc) are pretty tough. If you're concerned about overplaying a bigger one, just switch to bigger tippet. Tie on some 10-12 lb mono or something like that instead of the 4x...that should give you some extra muscle/confidence in the line to land them a little quicker.

If I switched to 12lb, I think my 5wt rod is breaking before the line does. I would fish a 3x-2x, but I have read that carp are super leader shy, so I assumed to go as thin as possible.

Trevor, I fooled him with a crayfish imitation that I dead drifted. Somehow the fly came completely unraveled during the fight, but atleast the hook endured(thats what I get for ordering off internet sites). I was originally landing beautiful presentations on some tailing carp about 35' away and slightly upstream, when I noticed a silt cloud about 15' away and slightly downstream. I knew I was embracing my inner ninja, but I didnt think a fish would swim that close to me. I gathered my line in and casted about 6' ahead of the fish to allow my fly to sink and he saw it right away and went for it. The water was crystal clear so I got to see the whole thing pretty clearly. I think I was fishing for 3-5 minutes until I hooked up with the fish, so a pretty rewarding trip.

After I landed this fish, I couldnt see another carp along the stream, so I got out and drove 3 minutes to another stretch of stream I prefer for smallmouth. Has anyone stayed to see how long it takes a spooked carp to return to feeding etc.?

Does anyone know how well carp bite during the cold winter months. I read somewhere that they pretty much shut down after october.

Just from my self-education, it is certainly possible to catch a carp in the dead of winter. Probably not the easiest angling pursuit, but they do feed. I have read of several hardcore carp guys catching them in every month.

I have a koi pond(3,000 gallon so nothing huge) and they slow down when the water is below 55. I feed them very little each day when it is cool like this, but they are eating.

Have a guy come up last Feb. and wanted to fish only thing open was marsh creek where the fed. fish station runs water into marsh. they tapped a glacial lake 10'000 feet down and runs a constant temp. water never freezes where it flows..he hooked a carp on a crayfish pattern that ran up stream under the ice and cut his leader. I see em daisy chaining and feeding there all time..

Back