Carp-a-Thon

UncleShorty

UncleShorty

The Houston Chapter of the Texas Fly Fishers is having a Carp-a-Thon on September 17. The object is to remove invasive species from an urban green space lake called Willow Waterhole.

By mid-Sep the heat index should be down
to 100 F and the temp around 90 F. (I'll take Feb in PA over summer in TX any day...)

Any way, never having fished for carp w/ a fly rod, I need some advice. I used the googles pipes to search the internets and found Wooly Buggers, cray fish imitations and size 8-10 nymphs recommended. What other flys would you use? What nymphs would you use? What size of buggers/crays would you use?

My heaviest rod is a vintage 8 ft 6 wt fiberglass Fenwick w/ a Pflueger Medalist reel. Is that set-up stout enough for carp? I'll be fishing from shore, ( no wading allowed). Would you recommend a floating or sinking line?

I haven't wet line since Jun in PA, (too hot here). I'm itchin' and it ain't from skeeter bites. Thanks!!!

Have you considered a crossbow?

Moon, If I had one I'd check to see if they are legal in TX. However, this is strictly rod & reel per the guidelines.

Way back when, in my PA deep mine days, I had a couple of buddies who used to try for carp w/ bows. We used to go to Lake Raystown and haunt the coves. Those guys shot and I drove the boat.

I was responsible, so I limited my "liquid refreshment" until we got back to camp.

Although, I remember, a sixer of buttwiper each didn't improve their aims but it worked wonders for innovative cussin'...

Thanks for the reply.

Lol. I don't fish for carp so I really can't help you. Have fun.

If you want to help rid the water of these beasts, I would tie white egg flies and soak them in peanut oil overnight. Use a couple split shots to sink them. Oh... and hold on!

That is to say, those whiskers on their lips are not for show.

Everything you need to know is on this website

http://www.flycarpin.com/p/how-to.html

Check out the warm water forum http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Warm-Water---Salt-Water-Fly-Fishing/16,0,0,DESC,f.forum_order,0,0.html
Plenty of carp chatter on there from dc410

Flyrod fishing for carp is tough, they are wily critters. However, fly pattern doesn't matter all that much and something in a natural colored wooly bugger or shaggy nymph will do.

Step one is to try to find feeding carp. Unlike trout, tough to get a reaction strike from carp - they need to be feeding. Look for mud trails. Carp often feed at regular times so scouting to pattern the fish can help. So can regular chumming.

When you have a feeding fish you need to drop the fly right in its path. Let it hit bottom and when the carp is about 6" away strip like it is something the carp has rooted up and is trying to escape. The carp should nail it. However, if the cast is too far let the carp go by. If a fly heads towards the carp it is game over.

If it sounds easy, it isn't. Carp are more wary than trout IMHO and getting it all right without spooking fish is hard. Sometimes having a spotter up on the bank helps a lot.

Low water is a fun time. Need better stalking, but you can see them as well and without deeper water the escape option is to make a blistering run over the flats.

One more tough thing. Carp are cyprinids (minnow family) and can let shreckstoff (a warning chemical) off. Therefore, catching a fish can end the day at a spot.

It is a fun and challenging sport though.

jack M Thanks for the tip. Never though about how carp locate food.

I guess that peanut oil makes them real "wet flies"...

Oh, man, I'm gettin' an education. Thanks to all who have responded.

I would never have thought carp were selective feeders, wily and tough to catch.

Now that I understand a little more about my prey I'll study up on all the sites/advice before I wet a line.

That Sage rod is as good as mine*...

* Hope springs eternal.

Since you never fished for carp, I recommend you fish a little with the flies you plan on using so you know how fast they sink and how much they splash when they land on the water. I've had way too many carp spook at a "heavy" splash too close to them. I've also had many flies not sink fast enough when I make a cast and therefore are past the carp before it can see the fly.(not really that the fly didn't sink fast enough but I didn't lead the fish enough) I suggest you go to a body of water where you can see the bottom or better yet, where you can wade and get a feeling of the depth. Then cast your fly to that location and count how long it takes to get to the bottom. Current will obviously play into this and will require you to land the fly further away from the fish but in a lake current isn't usually a factor. This will help you determine how far in front of the fish to land your fly because they are generally moving when eating. You don't want to cast directly to them or they will be ahead of your fly before it hits bottom. Another suggestion is to watch the fish when it gets near your fly. So many times I could not see my fly but knew the fish ate it because of how they acted. In my experience, they seem to get excited when they are about to eat and will generally wave their fins and tail. This is a tell tale sign to me that they just ate my fly and I then set the hook. Finally, don't trout set when they eat, strip set. The Orvis pose is not for carp. Save that for trout.

Regarding the rod, depending on the size of the carp in the lake, a 6 wt might be enough. For the carp I chase, I wouldn't try it with less than a 7wt and I personally use an 8wt. 15-20 pound carp are beasts and I wouldn't want to risk breaking a rod on them. The rod is one thing but the reel is also important. Need one with a good drag system that can handle explosive powerful runs.

Good luck!

Thanks fly-flinger.

Seems there's more to carp fishing than meets the eye. I'm a little hinkey now. About 99.9% of members of the Houston Fly Fishers are salt water flats guys using 8 wts or heavier. My 6 wt Fenwick has a lot of sentimental value. I'm not sure I want to risk it now. Will have to think this through a little further...

Not sure if you saw it or not, but here is a video that was posted in the print and video forum about guys fishing the Yough for carp. Kind of specialized since they were using dry cicada flies but a cool video.

https://www.guidefitter.com/videos/brood-v-guidefitter-film

I've seen some articles where guys will chum with bread then have a fly that is white and fluffy like wet bread. Or they will use some corn and have a yellow fly.

Anyway, good luck.

I try to use an old bonefish weighting philosphy that seems to work for carp, or even trout. Use a fly that can sink to the bottom in 3 seconds. That will give a good balance of action and being able to fish the bottom.

One guide I know really believes carp fishing with flies will take off as trout waters get scarcer. They are a challenge that can be found many places close the where most people live. On the flip side, he's been saying this for 20 years and gets teased a lot.

Back