Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Carp Freaks

From Central PA
The only carp I have caught on the fly rod were caught early in my transition from bait to fly angler. It was common practice among my spin fishing brethren to chum with corn when fishing for carp so I tied up a a fly that looked like a few kernels of corn using yellow chenille and did the same. While is was certainly an effective way to catch carp, it involved none of the precise presentation that these fish normally require. The few times I've encountered tailing carp while smallmouth fishing, I have not been successful.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 20:10

From Lancaster
Quote:

marcq wrote:
just a question about carping. in the spring I notice the carp get aggressive in a spot I fish for shad. do the carp get aggressive in the spring due to spawning? and if so how do you go about catching them? never really threw the fly at them did hook one once but didn't land it. they put up a nice fight might have to give it a shot this spring.

I am pretty sure that the aggressive nature that you see in the spring of year is part of their spawning ritual. My experience is they are next to impossible to catch when they are in that mode. I watched three medium size carp chasing a large carp up and down a stream last spring for about 30 minutes. It was kind of like a big frothing ball of wrestling carp going up and down the stream (all around the pools and rolling through the riffles) and they really covered some turf. It was really neat to watch. My most productive time to actually hook up with them is when they are "mudding", particularly in the very early morning usually later in the season.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 7:11

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
I don't think they are spawning then. just a lot in one area of water and are actively swimming around. they chase my shad darts but rarely hit it.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 23:01

From Camp Hill, PA
Yeah...I know...worst case of "carp" management you've ever seen!

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1253_R.jpg (128.37 KB)
7920_527bb696b0309.jpg 241X340 px

Posted on: 2013/11/7 10:49

From Eastern PA
Quote:

NickR wrote:
Was just curious about who fishes for carp here? In the past I have fished mainly for trout, bass and saltwater but more and more as of late I find carp dominating much of my time.

You have articles written in major publications about your carp skills. Steelbow time baby!

Posted on: 2013/11/8 0:54

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

NickR wrote:
Was just curious about who fishes for carp here? In the past I have fished mainly for trout, bass and saltwater but more and more as of late I find carp dominating much of my time.

You have articles written in major publications about your carp skills. Steelbow time baby!

Time for you to hit the salt buddy

Posted on: 2013/11/8 0:58

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
Anyone still fishing for them? When do you usually start and stop fishing for them?

Posted on: 2013/11/14 13:10

From Harleysville
Marc I checked a couple places the other day where i usually see a decent amount and saw only two, Ive caught them as early as march and as late as November. We should get a carp jam going in the spring

Posted on: 2013/11/14 15:45

From Dauphin PA
We would fish the tricos on the Tully and then switch to carp around noon. Almost snapped the 3 weight several times. Ugly as sin but they do pull hard.

Posted on: 2013/11/15 14:21

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com