Carp!

wingshot

wingshot

Is there anyone out there that is into carp fishing with the flyrod? I have been fishing Chartiers creek a couple times in the last week or so and managed to get hooked up twice but nothing brought to hand yet. I learned very quickly that fooling one of these fish is no easy task. I do have some bowfishing experience with carp and know that they are very spooky and that they release pheromones when scared, but what I'm after here is fly pattern and presentation advice, as well as where some of you may be fishing. Not looking for specific location but rather do you prefer fishing in lakes or moving water and why? Stream carp seem to be fairly neutral most times and it is hard to find activly feeding fish to cast to. Any input would be appreciated. I'm going to try out the lower Yough later today and into the evening and I will report back tomorrow.

JA

When I see them, I run it by them, but haven't had any success.

If you do alittle searching, there's actually quite an Internet fanbase for fly rod carping out there, including patterns and advise.

I'm hoping this year to give it a concentrated attempt, but like so many other things, probably won't bother.

I have gotten them in moving water, on PT nymphs, buggers, and glubugs.

Ah, the Cyprinidae! How I do love thee!

Carp are one of my favorite targets on lake and ponds. They may be just lowly carp to some, but to the fly rodder, they are magnificent. Very difficult to get hook ups if they're not actively feeding and even then they can be moody.

Stealth seems to be the key for me. I use a kayak to drift slowly within casting range and then toss a nymph (my favorite is just a marabou tail, dubbed body, a turn or two of soft-hackle). I usually try to cast a few feet in front of the direction the fish is heading, letting the fly drop to the bottom. When the fish gets close to the fly, I'll give it a twitch to entice. If I see the carp move toward the fly, I hold my breath and wait for a take. Set the hook and HOLD ON TIGHT! I've had monsters drag me around the lake before I landed them (well, I don't really land them, just pop out the hook when I can reach it).

Shallow backwaters always hold pods of carp. But caution is needed as if you spook one, the rest vanish like ghosts. Don't worry though, they usually come back in a few minutes and you can try again. In moving water, I look for the slowest spots. It isn't easy to drift a nymph past carp in moving water and get them to take.

I've found that fly patterns don't have to be specific, just general forage food types work best. There are exceptions however. When mulberry trees overhang water, carp often gather for a free meal as the berries fall into the water. Carp on dry flies (deer hair spun into a mulberry shape) is the ultimate fun for me. When those big lips suck the fly in, it's hard not to set the hook too soon. Wait for the tug is my suggestion.

A heavy rod (I use a 7wt) makes landing them easier, but a 5wt can be fun too.

Sorry this post is so long. The warm weather we're experiencing has me pumped for a day on the lake :-D

peace-tony c.

I dont have a ton of expreience carpin'.

But the times I did- it was sight fishing for them.

So I guess it translates into finding the fish or "knowing" they are there. Chartiers has them for sure- some as long as your leg.

You can locate them by looking from a high vantage point overlooking the water or by walking/wading along the stream. The fish can be as spooky as any fish. If you see movement and then clouds of mudd you probably just spooked some.

Once the carp is located and assuming your cast does scare them off try running a bugger in front of them or a slowly strip or bounce a beadhead nymph in front of them. Chartiers I have seen them in the deepest pools mostly- so seek those out. But they can be found along that entire length of water.

All of these in various colors should work.
Buggers
Hares Ear Nymph
Prince Nymph
Sucker Spawn

I would use heavier tippets and bigger rods. 6 weight and higher would be good. Carp can get huge.

You can find them in all the medium sized waters and big rivers- way more than water you would find trout in.

Good luck- it is fun to do in mid to late summer.

Oh, I forgot abotu this link: http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Reading this guy's blog is what got me really interested in trying to get some carp this year.

I also enjoy flyfishing for carp. I use a 9' 7wt and my 11'+ switch/spey rods for them. I have only caught two on the conewago creek with a fly rod so far, hoping for more this year.

I use nymphs, corn flies, bulberry flies, foxy minnows, clousers and darters most of the time. The two I have caught were on a cornfly and beadhead nymph.

Excellent suggestions thus far.

I fish for them in certain junk water stretches of ATWs during summer with a softish 9ft, 8Wt, 8 lb Ultragreen tippet, large fur nymphs, heavily weighted or lead eye tan buggers.

It is the most alert and involved fishing I do. In general, they have to be actively foraging to take a fly. If possible this is done by sight fishing. However, they are often in cloudy water based on their own foraging, or too deep. One trick I use in some stretches is to look for air bubble lines. Carp may be deep, but over a leafy, muddy bottom, their foraging can produce air bubbles at the surface, and so you can cast to the bubbles, wait a bit for the fly to sink, then lift the rod to see if they are there. It's a thrill if they are. I have also just cast out into an area where I know they cruise, but which is cloudy, and hop the lead eye bugger along the bottom like I did a plastic worm for bass in the 60's and 70's. This is less interesting but sometimes it works.

7 pounds and up is quite a brute in a medium size creek, and that is why I use the 8 wt--the snags are too close and you have no chance with light gear to keep them out of it. These guys will get into your backing in no time at all if given half a chance. Just to bring them in after hookup requires rather strenuous side pressure. This is one fish where a fighting butt is useful.

In dry, hot years, my carp fishing picks up quite a bit. I did very little last year since conditions were optimal for trout all the way through.

VG suggestions so far.
Something I have noted is use a limp/soft (albeit strong) tippet. Those rubbery mouths are might sensitive. They'll spit it out quick if they feel something that isn't foodlike.
I've got a spot where they will cruise in by the dozens right at dusk and feed in the shallow flats. It's just fun watching all the wakes as they make their way from the deep.

I would follow Akid's advice on Chartiers...he's probably logged more time there than all other anglers combined over the past couple years (which isn't really all that much, though!)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

To All,

Some great responses here and I would like to send a thanks to all! AKid, I understand that you fish Chartiers often and if you ever need a partner to go chase carp, please, let me know as I am close by. I took my Father In-Law down to the Yough near Buena Vista last night and we caught some Channel cats but I did not break out the fly gear as he is 86 and I wanted to him to get hooked up, (and he did!) but I'll be back on the sewer bass before the cold front moves in. I'm using an 8wt. and flouro leader so I think I'm set gear wise so it seems that stealth wading and presentation will be what I need to work on the most. I live in the S.Hills of PGH so if anyone wants to get together and chase some very large carp, shoot me a message.

JA

Wingshot,

My buddy is an avid angler for the poor man's tarpon....he swears by smallish clousers in subdued colors...

We live in Little Washington. We should hook up for a run to the yough some time...

Boss

Good to hear from you Boss, I've been tying some small clousers and also some smaller clouser swimming nymphs that are weighted so I can drop them dead next to a fish and give it a twitch and kick some mud. My best results have been to target feeding carp in that manner because it seems to get the attention of the approaching fish. After only three outings I am finding myself becoming obsessed with these critters! I've seen some giant carp in the Yough while kayak fishing for smallies in past seasons and I bet they would take you for one heck of a ride.

JA

I grew up on the warm water stream that was the outlet of a small lake in Erie County. Carp were among the first fish I hooked on a fly that I tied myself. They used to queue up under the ovrhanging willows and suck up inchworms when they were on, usually in mid-June. I would tie up a handful of green chenille inchworks and go after them by finding a pod of feeders and bopping risers on the nose with the fly. I fished with an 8 1/2 foot Western Auto (Revelation) fly rod balanced for an HCH (7 weight) line. I usually hooked 20 or 30 a year and would land maybe 2.

I hook a fair number (maybe 8 or 10 a year) of carp incidentally when I'm fishing for smallmouth in the rivers of southeast/southcentral WI. Almost all of them come to a size 6 all black rabbit fur leech that I favor for bass that I cast and sort of work real slow along the shallow shaded banks where the bass are prone to hang out.

They're a riot. Like hooking a school bus..

I'd love to go after some of the carp that are in the creek that runs through HersheyPark! :-D

wgmiller wrote:
I'd love to go after some of the carp that are in the creek that runs through HersheyPark! :-D

Thoughts like that have kept me awake many nights :lol: When I was a kid, there weren't any fences around the area that is now Zoo America. Too bad I wasn't into fly fishing then :-(

I have seen some as large or larger from time to time. Last summer I had a monster swim under my kayak while I was floating quietly through some very shallow water. When I saw him, I just held my breath and waited for him to pass, but he must have hit the bottom of my 'yak with his fin and SPLOOSH! Off he went.

peace-tony c.

The carp fishing adventures that i remember most were with a buddy on the Raystown , it was sight fishing for shoreline cruisers and it was a blast. He'd pull into an eddy and we'd just sit a moment and let things quiet down and before long there would be fish moving/cruising slowly along shore and beleive me when i say , dryflies , yep dryflies , cast in front of them (a black foam ant or beetle in size 10) would almost always bring a reaction. I hesitate to use the word strike 'cause believe it or not most of the time it was a sip. They would rush up but before they took they would have a good look and most of the time they would just sip it in like a brown trout does when it's midging or like a bluegill does. When hooked they would head straight for the bottom , which at the Raystown is waaaaaay down there. It was a blast and i'd suggest anyone try it , there are inlets by the hundreds like this at the lake and each one has it's own personality but they almost all have a population of carp. Sight fishing for these must be pretty close to fishing for redfish , no offense to redfishers.

Osprey,

I've fished for Redfish and agree with you and by no means should there be any offense taken. In fact, Redfish are easier to catch IMO but that's just one mans opinion. I think that one of the things that attracted me to this dark side of the flyfishing realm is the fact that I believe that if one can get fairly good and consistant at presenting the fly, hooking and landing Carp the better off that same person would be while fishing some tidal flat for feeding Redfish or any sight fishing where carefull and accurate casting is the norm. I am planning a kayak trip up to Presque Isle to try some true shallow water carp casting in the next few weeks, anyone else want to give it a try?

JA

Wingshot,

I fish Chartiers often as it is practically my back yard. A few thoughts. If you have not yet read "Carp on the Fly", I highly recommend it! Yes Carp are spooky and finicky, but the biggest lesson I learned was understanding Carp behavior. Being able to know the difference between cruising, clooping, and feeding.

As generic as it sounds, I have found my very best luck on CT with anything black and weighted. I tie a modified wooly bugger in all black with rubber legs added. I also add dumbell eyes so it rides hook point up. More important than pattern is Stealth, especially as the water levels start to come down towards the summer and the clarity goes up. I fish there often. If you are looking for someone to throw a few lines, drop me a message. I go sometimes after work when I have a few hours before dark. Usually hook into some nice smallies and cats along the way. Brown lining at its finest!

Lee

Im happy to see there are more people who like to carp fish. I personaly think they are as great a challenge to land using a fly rod and fly than a three year old native Bow with lock jaw. I usualy start about now and I caught a juvenile yesterday using a simple streamer, crawling across a pond bottom. Stream/river fishing for them will make you a better fisherman and when bass turn off in the summer,we target carp . I think when you hook into a twenty pound freight train you'll understand. Good carpin and youl need backer,backer,backer!!!!!!!!!!

I took my daughter and niece bass fishing on Sat. We were using a spinning rod and throwing weighted streamers and buggers. We were catching bass when a koi came close to the bank. I told my niece, I will give you $5 bucks if you can catch that one. Well the bet was on! She kept throwing near it but it would not strike. The girls were having fun picking out streamers. I then suggested the olive bugger with a krystal orange egg. Well a few casts later he sucked it in. I yelled set the hook. She did and almost broke the rod. I was so excited, probably more than she was. Surprisingly it did not fight as much as I had anticipated and we landed it! I estimate it went 6-7 lbs. Anyway she was smiling ear to ear and I was as happy as can be. I told her it was bigger than any fish her brother ever caught with me and I could tell she was pretty proud!That was the best $5 dollars I ever lost in a bet.

Back