Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Calling salt "fin"attics

A-kid,

Too funny! My parents and brother live in North Naples baetween the Pavillion and 100 Ave. North. I probably saw you there back in '90.

I caught a small snook and a few lady fosh casting EP Minnows behind the Vanderbilt Inn this past August at sun-up.

If you're on foot, fishing the beaches near passes on an outgoing tide can be good. It's a little like fishning a big river. The bait (and gamefish) stack up in the slack water near the current breaks.

If you're going in the winter, daytime can be good for reds and trout out of a 'yak. Explore the flats adjacent to deeper channels. The big snook are mostly in deep, off shore water, but the smaller snook head into the freshwater creeks. Both are temp sensitive and seek thermal refuge: warmer water, the opposite of trout here in PA.

Good luck!

- Mike

Posted on: 2009/12/5 9:37

From Gettysburg
A-kid,
Not sure how common they are up around Sarasota, but the Keys are stupid with stingrays. One piece of advice I'd offer to waders is to learn the "stingray shuffle" - in other words, walk with a shuffle that drags the sole of your feet along the bottom. This way you'll kick the rays rather than pinning them and getting jabbed. I've never been "hit" by a ray (had some close calls) and sincerely don't hope to. The results are nasty and extremely painful. It will definitely ruin your vacation. Better to be careful.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 17:24

FS good info. Yea, getting to learn about the tide stuff. It's kinda funny- I just fish all day long anyway- good conditions or not.

Last year it seemed I caught daytime low tides alot and probably was'nt the best. Scoped some potholes I might be able to try this year if there are low tides- maybe pickup some reds. Never caught one.

FI- rays are around but I have not seen them.

I get the World fishing channel on tv and they have several shows on Florida fishing. Kinda turns my stomach when I watch the tourneys in Boca Grande with 50 boats. Using the big hooks to drag Tarpon over to the weight boat. Or when hooked Tarpon get picked off by a shark. The could care less about fishing- guys are there to win money. Apparantly- It's on like Donkey Kong. Blah.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 8:58

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:
The results are nasty and extremely painful. It will definitely ruin your vacation. Better to be careful.

Ouch. I've read first-aid protocols for it and running hot water over any wound doesn't sound appealing!

Posted on: 2009/12/8 11:19

From Greensburg, PA
Yeah, they caution against wading barefoot in the sound of the OBX for the same reason. I usually take along an old pair of sneakers.

Posted on: 2009/12/10 9:41

From Bozeman
I waded barefoot for a few thousand yards in the sound at OBX. I rented a cheap kayak and it sunk after a while. Had a long walk back to shore. I was not happy, and was waiting to get whacked by one.

Posted on: 2009/12/10 9:56

From Greensburg, PA
I watched a guy empty a yak one day as he forget to check the drain plug before he got in...I immediately checked mine.

Posted on: 2009/12/10 9:59

From Bozeman
I know nothing about kayaks, but there was a compartment in the nose that looked like it should have been covered. A storm blew in and the waves got uncomfortably large. After a few minutes, the thing took a good bit of water on.

Luckily, it floated until I got to water less than a few feet deep.

Posted on: 2009/12/10 10:05

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Orvis sells a pair of flats bootie (low) for around 39.00, I wear them all the time on beaches (glass, shells, needles, rays, and other nastys) I wear them a size large so I can wear them over my waders, lot better than wading shoes. try walking to the north jetty of I.B.S.P. with wading shoes and sand in them. they are great for wet wading flats too.

Posted on: 2009/12/10 17:22

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Greensburg, PA
They look gay...I hate those things. All they are missing is the curl on the front and they look like what the iron sheik wore to wrestle. If I ever hit a jetty I'll come up with something.

Posted on: 2009/12/10 17:36

From Bozeman

Posted on: 2009/12/10 20:05

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
never said I would use em on a jetty just beaches and flats. for jettys and pair of easy to slip off knee highs with corkers in case of slipping in, rain pants and jacket to finish. Of course thats for sie hards who don't mind some waves and spray

Posted on: 2009/12/15 17:06

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com