Bethany Beach De.

gfoledc

gfoledc

Doing a road trip with with the grand kids late June early July for a week in Bethany Beach. The grand kids and I love to fish. Any info will be apriciated .

I've done many vacations to the Bethany/Fenwick area. Never flyfished, but have fished the surf and back bays with bait many times.

Late June/early July is probably still a little early for Croaker and Spot, but you may have a few there. They're small, but fun and easy to catch in large quantities, if they're around. You're probably in between the time periods in Spring and Fall when you could expect Stripers or Blues, but there should be some Fluke and small Black Sea Bass around. There's always seems to be plenty of small Sand Sharks from the surf at dusk.

I just throw a split rig with two different size hooks...small one for squid strips/frozen shiners, and a larger one with whole finger Mullet or fresh cut Mullet or Spot. Attach a 3 or 4 oz pyramid sinker for the surf, or a 1 or 2 oz sinker for the bays and chuck it out there.

never fished de the closest ive been is cape may. if you are not fly fishing with the grand kids and want a fun way to catch fish especially fluke the most productive way is to go with a bucktail with some gulp. last year around the same time I was in cape may and nailed a 24 and 20 inch back to back and a bunch of shorts. I take my little cousin down to the Brigantine area and we slay the fish. ive had may 100 fish days with her. most shorts but a few keepers. usually best in back bay areas. that's the time where you can catch some monsters to. if you want to do that find a safe inlet or jetty and cast it out and tell them to reel it in slowly.
any thing will hit it and its funny cause she seems to catch more fish then me. I think its cause they are not setting the hook like one of the bass masters as I do. its what I catch all my big fluke on. it works everywhere. open beach, back bay, inlets. the gulp in the buckets seems to hold up better then the ones in the pack.
one other think is fluke have a mouth like a blue fish and can bite somewhat hard so try to keep fingers away.

http://www.destateparks.com/downloads/maps/cape-henlopen/cape-henlopen-Main-2014.pdf

http://www.lighthouseviewtackle.com/

Saltwater fishing is most productive with bait (shrimp, cut bait, blood worms, etc.). It is not out of the realm of reality to fly fish for saltwater fish and the most effective pattern is a Clouser minnow, Deceiver, or "half and half" pattern. Colors...the sky is the limit.

Flounder are aggressive predators and will gladly take flies. Bluefish, well, they're bluefish and will destroy a fly. Croaker, spot and other fish will also take flies.

Tides play a big part when it comes to successful saltwater fishing. As the tide comes and goes, so do the baitfish which in turn attract the predators. The fish are either there or they're not. It's not like trout fishing where fish have likely "lies". In a saltwater environment that is largely structureless, the fish are nomadic in nature and always on the move, save flounder/fluke who just like to hang out on the bottom.

^ CHSP is my Delaware park of choice, basically because of their awesome campground. I definitely wanna try fly fishing there this year. Have been surf fishing down there about 5 years now but never tried a fly. Gonna maybe launch the kayak by the fishing pier and see if anything takes. I'll be down in mid may for the first time of the year.

blues, flounder will be around and hit flies. poppers, clouser , bend backs, deceivers, chart/silver flash/white best colors. might find a few weakie's too. spot, croakers, maybe a puppy drum in back bays.
size 2-2/0 should cover all.

Indian River Inlet. I like to fish the north side of the inlet on the bay side of the bridge. Snapper blues and the chance to tie into a large striper. Don't try to fly fish there, as there will be lots of people fishing.

Will (I believe) need a Delaware salt water license.

Thanks for the info. We are really looking forward to getting down there

Had a great week in Deleware. I got to fish for an hour or two in the morning before the kids woke up caught small stripers on the fly rod and some flounders on the spinning rod.
Cape Henlopen was great kids caught croakers and some other fish I could not identify they also went on a head boat for sand sharks thanks for all the help.
lv2nymph is going to post pictures for me later

Here are some pics from the trip. By the sounds of things everyone had a good time. Congrats Roger.

delewareroger1_zps131f35d9.jpg

delewareroger2_zpsfb99af47.jpg

delewareroger3_zpsd34e19bf.jpg

Sounds like a great time roger.

Back