Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Best Smallmouth River in the North East

Best I have experienced has to be the Kennebec up by Waterville/Augusta. Three years ago I fished it and the avg. bass was 17" and caught upto 22" I couldn't believe it as I am used to fishing mid-atlantic waters that BTW- We also caught landlock salmon and trout. Probably what happens when a state actually cares about conservation.

Posted on: 2010/7/19 20:06

From LV
The juniata is still pretty good. For out of the region I'd say the best I've fished is the Mississippi above Minneapolis. It's difficult to wade because the flow is pretty good.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 20:32

From Gloversville, NY
As an Upstate New Yorker. Some of the best smallmouth rivers I would say are in Upstate NY. We have the Northern part of the Hudson which is still producing amazing Smallmouth. My personal favorite the Sacandaga River is amazing and good for tons of action in a day, with all types of flies.

When I went to the Alleghany a couple of weeks ago, the smallmouth fishing was amazing. I don't know if that counts because it was only for a few days, but I did very well and I can't complain about the Alleghany, even if the water was in the 80's when I went.

Posted on: 2010/7/25 14:21

From Johnstown, PA
Without any reservations at all the Juniata/Susquehanna watershed is the best in the east if not the world.

Posted on: 2010/8/7 7:29

From Lancaster
Quote:

PatriotFly26 wrote:
As an Upstate New Yorker. Some of the best smallmouth rivers I would say are in Upstate NY. We have the Northern part of the Hudson which is still producing amazing Smallmouth. My personal favorite the Sacandaga River is amazing and good for tons of action in a day, with all types of flies.

When I went to the Alleghany a couple of weeks ago, the smallmouth fishing was amazing. I don't know if that counts because it was only for a few days, but I did very well and I can't complain about the Alleghany, even if the water was in the 80's when I went.

I'm guessing you mean somewhere below Wells on the Sacandaga? I've fished for trout above there and I think it's heavily stocked up there. I've gotten some nice smallies in the Sacandaga Lake. I have friends that live on the lake and I've done well right from their back yard when visiting. I might need to check out the river a little more...

I agree that upstate NY is better than anything in PA right now. I live 15 minutes from the Susky, but spend more time chasing smallies in the Adirondacks, Maine, and Ontario.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 10:10

From Mechanicsburg, PA
Juniata has some incredible fishing, have fished the whole length at various times this year from the Petersburg Dam to the mouth.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 15:59

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com