Bass poppers

Tucker733

Tucker733

I like to say I haven't paid for a fly for about 2 years since I've been tying my own. Now I'm running short on my bass poppers I picked up before I started tying. I tyed some with foam cylinders but I really like the painted ones but they are going for an arm and a leg these days. My question is does anyone sell a decent variety online that doesn't cost $5 a fly?

Poppers are crazy expensive for some reason. The components to tie them yourself are more than I want to pay as well. I tried making popper bodies from dollar store sandels and cork but did not like the results. I started tying this gurgler pattern which is tied from inexpensive foam sheets and they are a quick and easy tie. they dont look as good in a fly box as a njce popper but I find them equally effective for both stream and river SMB. Just don't tie them in saltwater size.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?autoplay=1&v=kCPJCfJG5BM

Walmart.

I use the Rainy's pre-formed bodies in various colors and color them with a permanent marker (or markers..). Pricing my labor at the roughly 11 cents an hour it is worth and adding in the hook and any hackle or flash I use as well as amortizing the occasional outlay for new markers, I figure I'm getting serviceable poppers that catch bass for about $1.32/ea.

I can live with that...

I use the pre-formed soft foam popper bodies. I buy them in white most of the time. Use permanent markers to color them. My most productive colors are white, fluorescent yellow and fire tiger. Since I already have the hooks, tail and leg material like RLeep2 it costs me a bout $1 to make a popper. You can also make a decent popper using circles or heart shapes punched from sheet. All you need is a punched foam circle, a bag of the gold Aberdeen crappie hooks, some marabou for a tail, and wrapped hackle for a body. Not pretty but they work. Never figured the cost, I'd guess it be $0.25 a popper
Google "Fun Foam Popper" That's what the guy who showed it to me called it.

you can buy all the stuff to make and then tie cork bodied poppers and sliders. they even have special zig zagie hooks for popper bodies.
i and as well as the bass i chase prefer cork bodies. not sure why,maybe they ride lower in the water than foam.

Back