Are you ready ? The fall run is almost upon us .........

Fredrick

Fredrick

The new moon will be on the 15th with the full at the end of the month . Montauk is already lighting up..... Blues are smashing mullet all along the Jersey coast . Are you ready ??????

Here is a little motivation if your not . Feel free to add your own also

Surf & Inshore Fly Fishing 2011 from Peter Laurelli on Vimeo.

Fred , how ya been doin? I have a buddy who was up to the lake Monday , Tuesday and is coming back today , he said he caught fish the whole time at the concrete walls at the operating marina , i have trouble remembering which trib is which n the names , but the one with the marina at the mouth they are already waiting for the water to rise and then it's on fer sure. It's either Walnut or Elk.

Had a good summer , stayed almost all of it at the cabin , turkeys and trout almost everyday , got to go to the Raystown with a buddy a few times , not really into sittin in a boat but we caught em and had fun , and i learned alot about species i dont usually get a crack at like lake trrout and stripers and carp on dry flies what a hoot. Wouldn't want a steady diet of it but i like to fish , and catch fish , and we sure did that , one of the coole3st striper methods was with a submerged light.............different n fun.

Yeah baby!

While for us salt and surf bums, the term "fall run" means ocean fishing in the northeast....it's worth remembering that the fall can mean all kinds of "runs": steelhead, browns in rivers, colored up brookies, hunting, football......

It's just a wonderful time of year. Was driving over South Mountain today and the trees were beautiful. I think we're seeing earlier than usual colors this year - gonna be gorgeous. Get out while you can.....October doesn't last long enough.

Fishidiot wrote:
Get out while you can.....October doesn't last long enough.

Got that right!

Fred I'm still partial to the 2010 video. Better footage in the new one, but too many boat fish :cool:

jay348 wrote:
Fishidiot wrote:
Get out while you can.....October doesn't last long enough.

Got that right!

Fred I'm still partial to the 2010 video. Better footage in the new one, but too many boat fish :cool:

Yea I feel that same way . They don't count when you catch them from a boat :p

My friend was in Montauk last weekend he had 60ish bass from 8-24lbs mostly on a white swimmer (he is fairly new to FFing) but did manage 3 on a yellow clouser.

Fred,

Thanks for the wonderful videos.

I'll have to make some of these salt jams with you guys this year.

I drove to Island Beach State Park many times, by myself, 3 1/2hr drive, with only a fly rod, in Dec and Jan and stayed until 5am, then drove the 3 1/2hrs back to York!

I usually had the beach to myself, because it was winter. I didn't even pack a pistol then!! I must have been crazy? I saw a red fox and I think a "werewolf" that would follow me around the beach?....... it never attacked me though..... thank God!

I have a neat 8wt with Mastery "Striper" fast sink line.

Good striper action when the sun goes down if you are bold enough to try it. They seem to hug the shoreline in the cover of the darkness.

Love2fish wrote:
My friend was in Montauk last weekend he had 60ish bass from 8-24lbs mostly on a white swimmer (he is fairly new to FFing) but did manage 3 on a yellow clouser.

The Striper season started like this last year. Montauk went crazy in early Oct and the NJ shore later in the month. The warm water lasted through the holidays and the fish stayed. Can't say that will happen this year, but one can only hope (and dream).

the cape is starting to bust to, talked to a few guys albies are on the beaches, blues have started and bass are moving in... we leave tomorrow morning. getting motorhome loaded today.

Sand...........you know i.m.0. more about that kind of fishing thAn any i have the chance to ask. Though , also , i. m. 0. you are the less tight lipped saltie that i know on here Fred is a close second at times Fred helps me learn more when he is talkin to someone else , not me and i'm listening in. Anyhow if you would can you tell me how long can you expect the blues n schoolies (it's all i need 4 now) to be around , how long does it last? What equipment out of my bass and steelhead stuff can i substitute? And last What do i have to do license/permit/fine/pistol(throwdown?)...............heh Thanks ..........how did your proposed rental unit ever pan out there in the Meadow?

blues should stay into november along jersey, stripers will be there till late december or longer. big stripers show up late november but usaully off shore. rods should be 9' 9wt. or better most times though an 8 wt. will work at times early in season latter you need big flies and will be fighting wind conditions. clousers, deceivers, sand eels, poppers will work 2/0-5/0
jersey is free for registration : www.saltwaterregistry.nj.gov/

I have 2 rooms to rent for fishing going good had a few people up during the season.

Here is always some good ones .
http://www.aswf.info/images/BLUEFISH_EAT_BUNKER.mov

http://www.aswf.info/images/BLUEFISH_BLITZES.movhttp://www.aswf.info/images/BLOW_OUT_TIDE_2007.mov

http://www.aswf.info/images/WEAKFISH2.mov

http://www.aswf.info/images/HD_BLUEFISH_BLITZES.mov

There will be sand in my boots soon!

We have been hitting Resident Stripers all year. Some big residents also in those back bay deep holes. I love watching all the boats in the rips off Cape May. We work the jetty's and bridges at night and look for the birds during the day. When not fly fishing we always kill them on the troll.

Chef, we will be discussing an upcoming trip to the salt tomorrow at your place.

Sounds good to me. Got the boat in the water not sure she is good for that type of fishing. But my buddy charters his skiff for the fly fishing.

Recent pic from Montauk....

The buoys are out!!

Attachments

• Montauk pic.jpg
    Montauk pic.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 3
I'll be near AC the first weekend in November, thinking of packing my 8wt. Would love to get into some stripers or really anything that's biting. Don't have much experience in the salt, anyone know of any good beaches or areas to hit up that would be near AC?

Back