Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Re: Are you ready ? The fall run is almost upon us .........

From Glenside
Those pics from Montauk are beautiful. Nice to hear that the bite is on in North Jersey as well, wishing I was headed up there this weekend and not next month!

Posted on: 2012/10/8 19:35

I've been up to Sandy Hook a few times this year already...Very limited success on the fly. Had albies in front of me twice in northern Jersey, but couldn't get them to bite. No stripers as of yet, mostly blues and shad.

Posted on: 2012/10/9 13:47

From Delaware Co.
Not sure if anyone needs a stripping basket . But if you do I heard good reviews about this one a little cheaper than the orvis one.

http://www.flydaddyshop.com/product/fly-daddy-stripping-basket

Posted on: 2012/10/9 16:53

From Glenside
I actually do need one. I'll have to check that out, thanks for the link!

Posted on: 2012/10/10 10:16

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
Would anyone be interested in hitting the beach next Tuesday?

Posted on: 2012/10/10 14:00

From Glenside
Wish I could but weekdays are tough right now with work.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 22:06

From Delaware Co.
Not Fly fishing but i'll take it .

Posted on: 2012/10/12 0:14

I want to go to Montauk, very badly. Just trying to see if the stories of over crowded conditions, absolute need to combat fish in rough surf, rock crawling, etc...Seems as though a few of the stories/reports are of needing expensive gear, falling of rocks, etc...don't seem worth it. My question (one of), and I think I already know the answer, can you find relaxed to moderate relax fishing conditions along a semi-rocky beach without the need to risk life & limb with a $700 VS, $500 dry top and wetsuit?

I have tentative plans to visit in the Spring, when I hear crowds are less. This would be used as a scouting trip for the following Fall. Organize things such as lodging, necessary equipment, get the lay of the land, etc...

I would be very interested if anyone had plans for a trip with extra room to let a newbie tag along.

Posted on: 2012/10/12 11:00

From Gettysburg
Quote:

mkoloch wrote:
I want to go to Montauk, very badly. Just trying to see if the stories of over crowded conditions, absolute need to combat fish in rough surf, rock crawling, etc...

It can indeed be like this - makes the most crowded conditions I've seen in Erie seem mild by comparison: shoulder to shoulder fishermen, some actually swimming in the water ("skishing" they call it), loud cursing in Brooklyn vernacular, crazy laughter, brushing back boaters by casting plugs with trebles at them, guys falling off rocks, boats getting smashed on the rocks or washed up on the beach.....When the bass are blitzing, trust me, you'll see it all.

Now, having said this....it's still worth the trip. And conditions aren't always like this. I've had Turtle Cove and the North Bar all to myself. However, generally speaking, the beaches around the point tend to be very crowded during the fall run and the behavior of (some) of the anglers has to be seen to be believed. It's not for everyone. Sometimes fly casting is tough with all the people around. Usually, if you're willing to walk a mile or so - which is tough because the beach is mostly potato rocks - you can escape some of the crowding.
The drive is tough too: you have to cross Manhattan (I got stuck downtown on Canal St once with my old Mustang with kayak on top and thought I was gonna get run off the road by the cabbies, definitely out of place for me) or take the Verrazano/ Staten Island and pay a fortune in toll fees. There's just no easy way to get there.
But it's worth the trip and I'll do it again.

Posted on: 2012/10/12 13:52

Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
But it's worth the trip and I'll do it again.

I guess that sums it up and seals the deal then!!

Posted on: 2012/10/12 14:48

From Delaware Co.

Posted on: 2012/10/13 20:02

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
Just got back from a scary last minute night in the surf. Got 8 blues ranging from 10 to 18 pound. Some true gators. Had to go up and grab the 10 wt after I got taken deep into my backing then broke off. The mullet are still around. Found a small pod with fish blowing them up. Sometime I think I rather catch nigh blues then bass after tonight. All up in north jersey. Followed the fish out along the jetty.

I went to grab a fish and a wave came up and got me. Waders filled and took me under. I was under for only a few seconds but it felt like 15 seconds managed to stand and get in. Happy to say only lost my cheap stripping basket. Another angler came and helped me out. At that point it was time to call it a night. First time it has ever happened to me. Grabbed my gear and left with my tail between my legs.

Lesson learned never go out on jetties alone and be really careful. I think it time to invest into a wetsuit or something more conducive for fishing on jetties and a waterproof phone case. The fish and bait are here time to start hitting the beaches more seriously.

Marc

Posted on: 2012/10/15 1:37

Never had the scary jetty situation. I've had several falls, slips, soakings and confrontations on jetties. It only takes a second! I wear waders mostly with wading boots. I've done the rain pants with strap on korkers only once, didn't like the feel of the korkers.

If you want to get out this Sunday let me know. Early weather predictions look good.

Posted on: 2012/10/15 15:55

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
Let me see what work is like but yea I'm intending on getting down there again

Posted on: 2012/10/15 17:22

From Delaware Co.
I might be able to meet up with you guys for a little in the afternoon this sun .

Posted on: 2012/10/15 23:26

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com