Anyone target Snakeheads

SNJChef

SNJChef

Does anyone target snakeheads? Caught them here and there past 2 years but have not actually targeted them. We have a large amount of lakes and tidal waters that hold snakeheads in my area, I plan on targeting them this year, was hoping to get some tips or suggestions,

Fredrick is from SEPA and has had some success.

He's posted about it, do a forum search and you can read up on the topic.

Let us know how you make out. I'd love to try targeting them sometime, but I'm not especially close to any water that I know has them. You might also check other fishing forums for info. I've read that they are becoming more popular to target and that some restaurants are creating specific recipes with them. I'm curious as to how they taste.

I Fredrick, I fish for snakehead

We should have a little snakehead get together sometime!

Is it true you are suppose to kill them if you catch them? Im not anywhere close to any water that holds them but I heard if you catch one you are suppose to kill it. Just curious.

somersetian wrote:
Is it true you are suppose to kill them if you catch them? Im not anywhere close to any water that holds them but I heard if you catch one you are suppose to kill it. Just curious.

Not sure if you're required to kill 'em. This was true in MD (I think it is still true) but I'm not sure as I don't target these fish and catches of them in PA are still not really widespread. They do have a growing base of fans who target them in the Potomac River.

If you do target them, make sure you know how to differentiate them from the rare and protected bowfin, which looks similar.

Dave_W wrote:
somersetian wrote:

Not sure if you're required to kill 'em. This was true in MD (I think it is still true) but I'm not sure as I don't target these fish and catches of them in PA are still not really widespread. They do have a growing base of fans who target them in the Potomac River.

If you do target them, make sure you know how to differentiate them from the rare and protected bowfin, which looks similar.

Maryland asks you to keep them but I believe the law changed and you are not required to kill them. The one thing you cannot do is transport them alive. If you keep them you must kill them and knocking them over the head doesn't count. The snakeheads are big with the compound bow crowd, you see guys with coolers full of them. Dave, it does make me wonder how the bow guys are not killing bowfins.

In Pa you are not allowed to possess live snakeheads; therefore, you must either release them immediately into the water where you caught them or you must immediately kill them.

Well we have plenty of places to target them here in SE Pa. Theres a lot of water in the airport/Philly area that have them. I was recently talking to the people at the John Heinz wildlife refuge and they would love to see people catching them!!

Mike wrote:
In Pa you are not allowed to possess live snakeheads; therefore, you must either release them immediately into the water where you caught them or you must immediately kill them.

This is the same policy that NJ,DEL and MD have at the current momement .

Dave..

Bowfin are rare and protected in PA?

Maybe I'm missing something..

The 2017 regs summary lists them in the same category as panfish with a bag of 50/day.

The da-- things have a row of teeth all the way to their rib cages and can be difficult to unhook without needing a transfusion. They're common to the point of being a nuisance in a number of places up here in the NW.

RLeep2 wrote:
Dave..

Bowfin are rare and protected in PA?

Maybe I'm missing something..

The 2017 regs summary lists them in the same category as panfish with a bag of 50/day.

Hhmmm...
I must have had a brain fart....was thinking for some reason that bowfins were protected. Maybe that was in a different state(?).

I agree they're common in points further west. Bowfin were all over in the lakes in MI I fished as a kid and were regarded as a nuisance. Locals called 'em "dogfish" and not in a good way.

During the initial snakehead breakout Mike has mentioned on several occasions that in the Se region that bowfin numbers were very low and people should make sure they know the differnce between a snakehead and a bowfin before they creel the fish.

Well we have plenty of places to target them here in SE Pa. Theres a lot of water in the airport/Philly area that have them. I was recently talking to the people at the John Heinz wildlife refuge and they would love to see people catching them!!

Am I correct that the best approach for snakeheads is using topwater & poppers ?

Crankbaits work well and probably anything works well when you run it through their nests, which they defend aggressively.

https://youtu.be/zDCXQ7JxQQI

i fish for snakeheads alot. However, I do not catch them much. For me they seem pretty easy to find, any weedy, shallow backwater of the tidal D will have them. They just do not like to eat, at least in my experience.

I have spots where I can guarantee you will see numerous snakeheads 12-25 inches but they never eat. Its very weird. Maybe I will figure them out one day

melvinthefisherman wrote:
i fish for snakeheads alot. However, I do not catch them much. For me they seem pretty easy to find, any weedy, shallow backwater of the tidal D will have them. They just do not like to eat, at least in my experience.

I have spots where I can guarantee you will see numerous snakeheads 12-25 inches but they never eat. Its very weird. Maybe I will figure them out one day

If they see or are on alert, they won't bite

Back