Anyone like to Bass Fish?

P

PennypackFlyer

I have a 15' bass boat that I take up to the lake. This last year I didn't go as often as I normally would because of 2 main reasons. The first one is the distance I now have to travel from Philadelphia to a decent lake is better than an hour. secondly, I normally go alone when I do take the boat out. My normal summer lake is Noximixon. (I'm versatile in my fishing and can use both spin/bait casting equipment and fly rod.)
I have plenty of room for an additional person if anyone is interested. Send me a pm.

Penny, I enjoy Beltzville. It has everything and some very big large mouth. I have not dedicated much time to fly fishing yet. I have been on a buddies boat and watched a school of stripers push bait fish to a inlet. I would have loved to been fly fishing then with an Alewive pattern.

I take the yaks out to fish Noxie for muskie, the Delaware for smallies, and a few ponds and streams that I hit for bass and panfish

I have started to fish more and more for largemouth with bass bugs in the month of June. Bass bugs are a fun way to fish - seeing a largemouth slam a topwater is a trip. Around where I live the largemouth are still shallow and the weeds aren't bad, so it is prime time from topwaters. Finally. I typically wade around the edges of local park ponds. This allows me to get a number of quick fishing trips in without needing a boat. You would be surprised how many park ponds have decent largemouth fishing.

Of course I love the Delaware for smallies and sunfish in the summer when the trout streams are too warm.

I was up at Beltzville a couple of times... Both times when my daughter was young and she brought a couple of friends. I will probably get up there this year as well as get out to Blue Marsh maybe once or twice.

My entire area is surrounded amazing smallmouth fisheries. Heck, on a summer day, I can be out of work and onto the creek in 5 minutes. We have a good hex hatch and I love going out on a summer evening, nailing big smallies on dry flies.

My favorite past time in the summer is to wet wade our "trout" streams here in SW Pa, fishing for smallies. In all honesty, I like it equally as much--if not more at times--as trout fishing.

I do fish for bucketmouths in a few lakes including my favorite, Lake Arthur. I don't have a boat but, after fishing the lake for more than 30 years, I know where to wade for best results at various times of the year. I'm the only nut on the lake you'll find standing stomach deep next to beds of lily pads with a fly rod. I've also caught pike, muskie, carp and hybrid stripers in those pads.

I love bass fishing with a fly rod!

Wading in is great, I do plenty of that, but since I have a boat I really need to utilize it more than I did last year. And to fly fish from it is more my goal.

No boat for me! I drifted down the Swatty w/ Tim Robinsin and my brother last summer in a canoe, I definitely want to do that again, but I am more than content to wade streams and rivers.

LMB on the top water is a rush. Love it wen they start getting acrobatic and airborne. Those fish are so aggressive and fun

N8ureboy wrote:
LMB on the top water is a rush. Love it wen they start getting acrobatic and airborne. Those fish are so aggressive and fun

There have been days when I would slam the popper on the surface and you could see wakes of the fish move to attack, like torpedoes just under the surface.... anticipating the explosion is a blast!!

Green, do you fish the night bite in the spring at all for Stripers at Arthur?

Starvin, yes.... but not like I used to. I used to go a couple nights a week, but these days, once the word gets out, it gets too crowded for my liking. (Not "steelhead crowded" but still too many for someone like me looking to get away from it all.)

That being said, I still do go a few times a year, usually on a weeknight. I've fished from the 528 overpass to places along the northshore, southshore and of course, near the dam along the 422 pull off... but that place really sees its share of people.

Huh I have some spots that don't see so much pressure and we use a canoe and go to spots unaccssible by foot, but what streamers or poppers do you use to catch those wipers ? I've been dying to land one on my 6 wt

we might have to do a lake arthur warm water jam! I'm only 5 minutes from there and fish it quite often.

StarvinMarvin wrote:
Huh I have some spots that don't see so much pressure and we use a canoe and go to spots unaccssible by foot, but what streamers or poppers do you use to catch those wipers ? I've been dying to land one on my 6 wt

Clousers are a necessity. They've taken more fish for me than any other fly. Also, just a nice big white wooly bugger #4 or #6 works well.... oh hell, practically any streamer-type fly that may loosely resemble the alewife will work. White is key. White poppers work later in the season also -- I use pencil-style poppers as well as standard bass hard bodies.

A 6-weight huh? That may be fine for most under 20", but if you hook into a 15-pounder, good luck.

Bikerfish: Is'nt that a little to close to home..where is your sense of adventure?

" by bikerfish on 2013/2/6 15:02:18
we might have to do a lake arthur warm water jam! I'm only 5 minutes from there and fish it quite often."

Sounds good to me... we've probably run into each other before biker fish. I frequent the same waters as you.

I'd be up for that jam, I fished Arthur all summer in my underpowered POC boat, just before I got into FF. Planning on bringing the flyrod with me this year. May repower the boat for the spring

quick question i fish a pond that gets cover with what we call "duck weed" no clue if thats what its actually called lol. anyway we do really well on big large mouths. this algae skims the whole pond if i fish this with a mouse pattern will the fish be turned off with the fly line making streaks through the water during my retrieve.
thanks
adam

Back