Another good morning on Deer Creek

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

Got out a little early for some smallies and sunfish. Fished either a small popper or a wooly bugger for 3+ hours and caught fish all day. Lots of 7" RBS and a few smallies in the 9" range, and a yoy that was only 3 times bigger than the wooly bugger he ate.

The good thing about Deer Creek is there is enough of it for me to fish a new section every once in a while - I got to do that this morning. Had everything, riffles, deep shaded banks, over-hanging trees, etc.

The highlight of the day was the last pool I fished. The bugger I was using has some chartreuse in it, so I could see it from pretty far away, and the water was low, slow and clear. I was essentially site fishing with a streamer - it was totally cool - I could see the fish come from a distance, check it out, then hit it. As soon as I saw the chartreuse disappear, I set the hook. Watched a 9" smallie take it that way.

Biggest fish of the day, of course, were fallfish. Two around 12" and one around 13. I got hung up on a submerged tree, and walked over to unhook, and saw 3 carp cruising the bottom. I was going to try to target them, but they stayed in the tree/logs and I could not get to them. I don't see many carp that far up Deer Creek.

Back