Albie Guide/Help

M

mkoloch

One of my 2012 goals in to catch a false albacore (albie). I would like to know if anyone can recommend a guide in the northern NJ or NY areas. Depending on timing and budget, this may or may not happen this year. I'll be hitting the shows this year, hopefully talking to guides.

Northern NJ/NY area
Guide w/ boat
(2) anglers for FF/light spin tackle
** This trip is about catching fish or having the highest probability to catch albies on FF tackle. I am not looking for a "learning" experience.

Always wanted to catch albies on FF gear. So for my 30th birthday present to myself...I am exploring a few ideas.

Try Shore catch i'm sure they will get you to your goal

http://www.shorecatch.com/home.html

Also behind the maintenance shack, goveners house and tip of jetty are great places to hook them when they are in chasin bait, no guide needed then..other wise go with shore catch for sure..

Mkoloch,
Here's another vote for Shorecatch. If you're going to the Somerset show, Jim Freda and the Shorecatch guys usually have a booth. Look for the videos of blitzing fish. :)

You're probably already aware of this but, in the event you're not, you should know that albies in the northeast are a seasonal game. For NJ, you're talking about from about Labor Day weekend until about Oct 15th. Before or after those dates makes for less probability of finding fish. NY would fall about two weeks earlier and the Outer banks in NC about two weeks later. Also, you'll want a boat guide. Albies can be caught from the beach but it is very hit or miss (mostly miss) and FFing just makes the likelihood of getting one from the sand even remoter.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to drop an email.

Would any be interested in joining into a charter, split cost in the near future (i.e. this Fall)??

They are very catchable from shore if you are on jetties or the inlet like Shark River or Manasquan. But it can be very hit or miss. Shore Catch gets another vote great group of guys that are always willing to help (even when your not the paying customer).

Heard of a few albies caught this week at the north jetty of IBSP.
Call Shore Catch... they are a great bunch of guys!

shelly carris at sea side park will get you into them on the beach...freda and quigley will do it for ya in the boat..

Shore catch for sure in nj but never leave out the option of going up to montauk. Nothing comes close to it. Bass, albies and big blues are there at the same time. Shore fishing for them is hard. They move so fast it's a matter of getting the fly in front of them. And they usually are not right on the beach. The key is finding the bait and they might be there. I haven't caught one on a fly rod yet but have on a spinning. It's nuts how fast they move. Besides from stripers it my favorite fish to catch in the ocean.

Back