Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Adventures in Brown Lining

From Pittsburgh
Hey All,

I know most of you are die hard trout guys and I am still trying to learn all the nuances of the trout game. Sometimes I only have an hour or so to go fish so I fish the waters that are available to me!

So anyhow... have really started to enjoy brown lining around the burgh... If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it... No, there are not crystal clear waters... No there are no amazing backdrops.. but there are fish that are difficult to get to take a fly... and some great fights as well. Just a thought!

Posted on: 2009/8/29 15:41

Re: Adventures in Brown Lining

From Pittsburgh
Not sure why this did not attach with it!

Attach file:

jpg  IMG00239.jpg (947.31 KB)
2631_4a9984b4ab0d3.jpg 1440X1080 px

Posted on: 2009/8/29 15:42

He looks healthy, musta been a blast fightin it/he/she. What'd it take, crayfish, bugger, spawn? You gotta give us more details man, haha.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 17:24

From Delaware Co.
NICE !!!! Did you get the weight of it ? . What flies did you use ? I can't wait till I get out again to catch some poor mans bonefish

Posted on: 2009/8/29 17:25

From Pittsburgh
Hey guys,

I did not get to weigh him. My boga grip was accidentally left at my friends house! It was a great fight... I was throwing my 6 weight and it took me a good 10-15 minutes to bring him in as I was on a 2x and was trying not to break her off!

She ate a modified wooly bugger on a size 10 hook. Black maribou, black chenille, black hackle with a purple chenille head and small gold bead chain. The carp in the areas near me have frustrated me for a good portion of the summer. They see you coming from a good ways away and have proven to be very picky. I started trying to make longer casts and have started to hit pay dirt much more often. If you have not tried fly fishing for carp, I highly recommend it. It really tests your casting as well as your ability to be stealthy. As documented, it is a lot like bone fishing in dirty water! Even if you are a hard core trout fisherman, I think it really helps you to improve your skills in many ways. Even your fish fighting skills as whipping a good sized carp can really take some technique on relatively light tippet.

Good luck and tight lines!

btw, if you want a great education the book "Fly Fishing for Carp" is a superb tutorial and has really helped me make sense out of Carp behavior and the tactics to use to fish them!

Posted on: 2009/8/29 18:46

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com