A good morning for Carpin'

dc410

dc410

What a gorgeous July morning! I took advantage of Saturday morning on the holiday weekend and headed down to my local carp stream for some Carpin'. I fished a stretch of stream that I hadn't fished since very late last summer and the last time I was there I lost the biggest carp I had ever hooked up on through a knot failure on my leader. Learned a valuable lesson on that one! Anyway, the day was still very young and much of this stretch of stream was still shaded from the large trees that line the eastern bank of the creek. The water was still fairly off color from the recent rains. The carp were very active this morning and the bite was on big time. I resorted to locating fish, that I generally couldn't see due to the water clarity, by seeing the mud clouds and lines of bubbles. Once I figured out what direction the bubbles were moving I would lay a fly about 12" in front of the bubbles and focus on my leader laying on the surface for the faintest movement or twitch. The takes are very subtle but the ensuing fight was not! I fished from about 7 AM to 9 AM and brought six carp to the net and lost one other one. Seven hookups in a two hour period was something that I had never experienced before while flyfishing for carp. All fish were in the 19"- 25" range, so the big boys eluded me this morning. Four of them were caught on a carp fly called the "siltsifter" and the last two were caught on the new olive damselfly nymph that I just tied as a new carp pattern. I also saw a hen wood duck with her nine ducklings doing their best to avoid me. All in all, it was a great couple hours of fishing for the "golden bonefish" literally five minutes from home.

Attachments

• Carp 7.jpg
    Carp 7.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Carp 8.jpg
    Carp 8.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Carp 9.jpg
    Carp 9.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Carp 12.jpg
    Carp 12.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 2
  • some nice carp water.jpg
    some nice carp water.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 2
Nice DC, sounds like it was on! From what Ive heard and talked to ppl, 6 for 7 in 2 hours is epic. Thats good work by you!

I have never held a carp with one hand. That, in itself, is impressive.

Very good John, you were on time with strike detection that day. Congrats on a great morning.

Back