Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

Re: 2nd Annual Sandy Hook Jam 11-11-12 Be Ready
From Chester County
SEA BRIGHTSea Bright mayor Dina Long admitted she broke down when she first saw the sand several feet deep along the borough’s downtown and most of the storefronts damaged.

“I did start to cry,” Long said. She called the damage catastrophic.

C. Read Murphy, a township councilman and borough deputy director of emergency management, said “the businesses in this town are totally destroyed.”

Heavy equipment, including front-end loaders, were clearing away sand that had washed onto Ocean Avenue and in some places was more than 4 feet deep.

Long urged residents not to return home because the borough was still dealing with numerous natural gas leaks from broken underground pipes.

Sea Bright had been under a mandatory evacuation order since 4 p.m. Sunday, however, Long knew that many people had not left.

“I spent two hours on the phone (Monday) pleading with people to leave,” Long said. She said police and firefighters had to rescue 11 people from homes on Monday.

David Coniff and eight friends thought it would be fun to ride out the storm in a third floor apartment. This morning he was not so sure it was a good idea.

“It was terrifying. We saw a steamroller swept away, a truck swept away,” Coniff, 26, said this morning.

The nine friends awoke today to deep sand covering Ocean Avenue, with power lines down and spouts of natural gas shooting up through the sand from broken pipelines.

They came down from the apartment above a hardware store to discover the storefront was gone and water had washed through the store, heavily damaging it.

“All the storefronts are blown out. Houses collapsed. We saw cars float by like they were toys,” said Joe Tripodi. The 28-year-old borough resident spent the night wearing one of only two life vests that the nine friends had with them.

This morning, the group walked over the sand left by the storm, carefully avoiding downed power lines and natural gas leaks.

They walked to the bridge leading into Rumson and they were not alone.

Coniff said he and his friend saw many others walking out of the borough.

Mike Cramer, 47, and his fiancée, Deneen Zotto, stayed in their second-floor condominium in the yacht harbor complex in Sea Bright, thinking the storm would not be any worse than Tropical Storm Irene.

“It was horrible. I don’t think there was a store that wasn’t blown out. The worst part was the darkness. You could only see shapes float by,” Kramer said.

What did he see go by?

“Boats, sheds, cabanas, dozens of cabanas and refrigerators,” he said.

Coniff told of fears he and his friends felt during the night.

“When the power went out and the fire department sirens went off and the waves were crashing into the building, I felt like we made a mistake to stay,” Coniff said.

Police were not letting anybody walk over the bridge from Rumson into the borough, but some people were walking in from the north end of the borough on its border with the Highlands.

Link to Source: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012 ... _mayor_damage_from_h.html

Sorry Fred, they didn't mention anything about the fishin' or your hotel room......just about the people that lost their homes and their businesses and the struggle to make the area safe enough for people to return.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 7:21

From Gettysburg
Yeah - the news is stunning and horrible. Jersey shore towns are devastated.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 8:54

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Yea, Guess I am out for certain now. I feel bad going there to fish, when people lost everything.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 13:27

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

The spare spool was ordered last week and should arrive this week, which might be pushed back. My 350 grain line arrived yesterday. I'll be geared up ready to go, if conditions allow for it.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 15:02

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Well, if they are accepting people, certainly don't feel bad about it. I could see concerned, as in for your own safety, considering the structural integrity of buildings, mold, gas leaks, quality of water and sewage, etc. But if you think it's safe and they are accepting people, then don't feel bad about going, take them up on it!!!!!! You, the tourist, are their economic lifeblood. The last thing they need is lost business after everything they've gone through.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 15:14

From Delaware Co.
As soon as I find out what is going on with the park and the hotel I will let everyone know . Fema has taken charge of the rebuilding of Nj allot can get done in two weeks so stand by until I can get some information.

If anyone is interested here is the hotline to volunteer in the relief effort In New Jersey 1-800-JERSEY-7 (1-800-537-7397)

Posted on: 2012/10/31 16:03

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
they are still repairing and rebuilding from irene in new england (was there just 2 weeks ago) its going to take months for jersey to get back up and running. if not a year or more. they will not open the parks till this is over because they pull the state park people from there to help rebuild...

Posted on: 2012/10/31 16:15

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Pittsburgh
I would like to go and fish Sandy Hook Jam
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many activities are put on hold. There are issues with safety, hotels, food, gas, etc.
My favor vicinity - Breezy Point - Queens, I have fished many times, got severely damaged.
Probably I will go there with Red Cross or FEMA and help and maybe fish “in the brake time”…
...I’m only wander if I can bear people “look” standing on the beach with the rod in my hand…

Afishinado, thanks for the valid links.
More links here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50134127n

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2 ... rushing-coast?ft=1&f=1003

Go: Jersey 1-800-JERSEY-7 (the hotline to volunteer)

Posted on: 2012/10/31 23:34

From Chester County
Below are pics of Seaside Heights, the town connected to Island Beach SP.

FI, I'm sure Betty & Nicks is finished for this year. Hopefully all is okay and they rebuild and recover. When/if they do, I plan to go there and buy something.

Attach file:

jpg  Seaside Heights bridge.jpg (64.64 KB)
53_509256eb95e79.jpg 630X407 px

jpg  Seaside Park.JPG (77.45 KB)
53_509256f7ace24.jpg 630X420 px

Posted on: 2012/11/1 7:05

From Chester County
Fred,

How 'bout the Delaware beaches? They were spared, for the most part, at least Rehoboth.

If not SW, how 'bout Pulaski pellet heads?

You're in charge, Sarge.

Posted on: 2012/11/1 7:10

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Rehobeth and the beaches from cape henlopen to Maryland have been devastated also. most parks are closed for season too. plus the fish most likely will not be back since they moved offshore so far.

afish your pics are labeled wrong, the bridge out is in belmar north of seaside, and the roller coaster is in seaside heights.

Posted on: 2012/11/1 7:34

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Chester County
Here is a link to all the pics: http://news.yahoo.com/photos/sandy-fr ... -191001260--election.html

The pic is of the Park in Seaside Heights.

The bridge, I'm not sure. It's labeled Seaside Heights, not Belmar.

Posted on: 2012/11/1 8:09

From Chester County
Our local news covers SE PA, S NJ & DE. Delaware was on the south side of the storm - more rain, less wind. I saw where Rehoboth was open for business yesterday, with little damage.

Check out this link: http://www.cityofrehoboth.com/

Posted on: 2012/11/1 8:14

From Delaware Co.
Here is a pic of Betty and Nicks . Tom I rather go north before I would go south fishing is much more productive up north .

Posted on: 2012/11/1 9:31

From Delaware Co.
Here is a pic of Betty and Nicks . Tom I rather go north before I would go south fishing is much more productive up north .

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/11/1 9:32

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com