21 Tips For Susky Bass

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
I fond this on the FBC site. They changed the format around a bit and I was looking through the FBC site and found this:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/anglerboater/2004/07jul_aug/feat_21tips.pdf

A lot of spin fishing & boat stuff, but some FFing info and general info that can be useful.

Step 1: Find a flux capacitor. :-(

The article is from 2004. An updated article might be:

21 Tips for Susky Catfish

Thanks Afish, I really enjoy any randon fishing links, I'll be reading it in a minute.

Jay, Dwight, very funny, I love that sarcasm comes from all directions on the site, even from the future, I guess I'll have to get my kayak up to approximately 90 m.p.h.

At least it will be easier than attempting that speed in a used DeLorean.

Dont forget you need 1.21 gigga watts. The only thing that can produce that is a bolt of lightning, but of course you never know where or when one will strike.

On a side not, im pretty sure the particle accelerator at CERN could produce that kind of juice, but thats beside the point.

Interesting timing... I took my kayak out for its "maiden voyage" on the Susky yesterday. I did some fishing, but the intent of my trip was to get my "sea legs" and get some paddling time on the river.

I fished my 9' 8wt. with a chartreuse/white #4 Clouser deep minnow. I didn't have any strikes, but south of the Rt. 462 bridge did have on nice-sized bass follow the fly in, but not strike. I really wished it would've committed to the fly because it was a nice fish! I also found out that I really need to get my anchor trolley installed and use an anchor. Lots of fun cruising around the river though and eventually I'll start working harder on fishing tactics.

While parked on one of the "sand dunes", I had a nymph crawl up my leg. It easily went 2" and was an interesting experience. Anyone have any idea what it is? I also saw some whiteflies coming off and a few fish rise to something (perhaps the whiteflies).

100_2575.jpg

Tough day on the water! :-D

100_2576.jpg

100_2580.jpg

What is this?!?!?! :-o

P.S. Any time anyone wants to flyak the Susky, give me a shout!

wg,
Looks like a great time. You're gonna love paddling and FFing. And yes, an anchor set-up will help immensely.
The nymph looks to me to be a dragonfly larvae. There are a lot of helgrammites in the Susky and they can be over 3" but the one in the photo clearly isn't a helgy.

I will admit that I started to become a "trout snob", but being able to float a body of water has really opened up my fishing interests and horizons... The Susky seems to offers miles of fishing opportunities and I'm really looking forwarding to fishing the area north of Harrisburg.

Would a "leggy" olive bugger work for that nymph?

wgmiller wrote:

No doubt about it.
Hellgrammites tend to be active in June and that fly will nail bass keyed on them too. Fish 'em dead drift.

wgmiller wrote:

Yup, a leggy olive bugger works for everything! It's the first, and many times last fly I tie on for SMB. A gurgling torpedo flash-butt diving magna minnow buster is fun to tie and mess around with, but an olive wooly bugger will usually catch as many, and probably more fish.

afishinado wrote:
wgmiller wrote:

Yup, a leggy olive bugger works for everything! It's the first, and many times last fly I tie on for SMB. [color=990000]A gurgling torpedo flash-butt diving magna minnow buster[/color] is fun to tie and mess around with, but an olive wooly bugger will usually catch as many, and probably more fish.

So how do you tie one of thoughs tom ?

Back