HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: 2017 Carpin' thread

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

dc410 wrote:
This warmer trend of weather really has the carp on the move. I located a whole bunch of carp yesterday afternoon that had moved into a shallower flat area of a pond. The sun was high and bright and everybody and their brother were out fishing, running, walking the dog, throwing balls in the pond for the dog, sunbathing, reading etc. Certainly not perfect conditions for catching a carp on a fly. I found a few carp that appeared to be naturally feeding and laid my fly in front of the closest one. The fish immediately turned toward my fly and sucked it in. I pretty much spooked the rest of the fish in that area of the pond fighting the fish but did manage to bring my first mirror carp of the year to the net. I don't generally catch many of these mirror carp and this one was not huge but put up a great battle. This mirror was kind of unique in that it was practically scaleless with just a few scales along the dorsal fin and near the tail. Can't wait to get back into that pond some morning this week just before sunrise, hope I get the chance!

Nice catch . I still have to catch a mirror and a Christmas fish, definitely a goal for this summer

Posted on: 4/11 11:09

From Somerset P.A.
Are carp spawning right now? I was pike fishing on Tuesday and my streamer got snagged in a downed tree. I pulled in to the branches to retrieve it and a carp started swarming my boat. It was acting pretty aggressive like it was defending something

Posted on: 4/13 11:54

From Lancaster
I've seen carp spawning activity vary greatly from place to place and it is possible some early spawning might be happening at this time although it seems a bit early to me. I think it is mostly effected by warming water temperatures and an increase in the amount of daylight. They make quite a disturbance when they are chasing and thrashing around in the shallows. They deposit their eggs over submerged objects but generally very little parental care is given to the eggs after they are deposited. I've never really heard of or seen a carp aggressively defend their nest site like a smallie or sunfish would defend its redd.

Posted on: 4/13 20:04

From Lancaster
A cloudy morning with very off color water from yesterday's rain event made for great conditions but the sight fishing was a bit of a challenge with the very limited visibility. The carp are active and feeding. I was just fishing heavier silt clouds and bubbles. I lost a big one after about a 10 minute battle and finally brought this fish to the net.

Attach file:

jpg  Carp 6.JPG (82.52 KB)
6132_59010bf6455ee.jpg 415X336 px

Posted on: 4/26 17:10

From Granville
Nice work as usual DC410! I really need to get out there but I've been crushing so many beautiful wild browns on nymphs lately that I can't seem to pry myself off of the great trout streams. I haven't even targeted smallies at all in 2017 really and that is just going against my roots.

Posted on: 4/30 19:27

From walnutport
well done as usual DC410!!

Posted on: 5/11 7:56

From Lancaster
I hit one of my local carp spots early this morning that I hadn't fished for several weeks. Its a pond and this morning there were a lot of feeding carp but they were all out in fairly deep water. I was focusing on the bubbles and silt clouds and trying to gently lay my fly right in the area of the bubbles. This can be a challenging way to fly fish for carp, not being able to tell exactly where their head is and obviously not being able to actually see the take. This morning I laid my fly in the areas of the bubbles, let it sink naturally and keyed on my fly line/leader connection. This doesn't always work that well for me and often I spook the fish by inadvertently lining them. This morning, however, it was working like a charm as I managed to bring three of them to the net in about 1/2 hour of fishing. Two of them being Mirror Carp. So far its been a good year on the Mirror Carp.

Attach file:

jpg  Mirror Carp.JPG (96.86 KB)
6132_5914bf5956f6f.jpg 448X307 px

Posted on: 5/11 15:47

From collegeville, pa
Nymphs??. What the heck are those..haha..

Posted on: 5/11 19:10

Nice job, DC.

I was out scouting for carp tonight. I didn't find any.

Posted on: 5/11 21:49

afishinado wrote:

I find you very confrontational, offensive and have never seen more a glass-half-empty attitude.

From Lancaster
Thanks, guys.

BC - keep at it, you'll find some. Scouting is a very important part of carpin'.

I think the carp in this pond are just getting into spawning mode. I had another carp chasing one I had hooked right to the net. The chaser actually bounced off my net as I scooped the hooked fish. Almost had 'em both!

Posted on: 5/12 6:43

From Lancaster
I took a walk this morning on one of my favorite carp stretches for the first time this season. The water was very off color and I didn't hook up with any this morning but I was mainly checking the status of the local berry crop. The Mulberry trees are hanging full of berries and some of them are just starting to turn a bit pink. It won't be long now!

Attach file:

jpg  Mulberries.JPG (86.51 KB)
6132_59297cd353a0d.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 5/27 9:19

From Lancaster
I was fishing for Smallmouth this past week on the local warmwater creek when I spotted a decent carp just cruising around. I couldn't resist taking a shot at the fish. Sometimes in carpin' you spot carp that there is no way that you can even have a chance at them. Other times you are offered an opportunity at a fish but have no way of knowing how to handle the situation if you indeed hook it.

I decided to take a shot at the fish without worrying about the second part of the issue. The 10 lb. carp immediately turned and took the fly. The battle was on!

I was standing on the top of about a 6-7' steep, muddy bank on a flat covered with burn hazel. I had to get into the water to ever have a chance at landing the fish. I did the "human otter slide" down the bank and landed in the soft, silty substrate along the edge of the creek, sinking to within inches of the top of my hip boots. I found a better area of gravelly bottom out a bit into the stream and fought the fish from there. I could not take the fish either up or downstream due to deeper water and very soft, silty undercuts. The battle was a fairly long one but I finally managed to bring the fish to hand which was a challenge in and of itself without a net.

I love the challenge of landing one like this when the decision is made to cast to it while being very unprepared. Sometimes it works outs - many times it doesn't. Good luck with your carpin'! Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

Attach file:

jpg  Carp 12-1.JPG (112.87 KB)
6132_5933fd90e1a72.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 6/4 8:31

From Delaware Co.
Good stuff DC . I have a mulberry tree in my back yard and the berries are starting to drop.

Posted on: 6/5 6:48

From Lancaster
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:
Good stuff DC . I have a mulberry tree in my back yard and the berries are starting to drop.

Yep, you got it Fred! It's that time of year. The window of opportunity is short. You either get out there and get a piece of the action .... or you don't.

Posted on: 6/5 16:38

From Lancaster
The berry hatch is on! I went out early this morning, mainly for a scouting trip to see what the status of the ripening berries were on my favorite berry carp beat. I had about an hour so I figured I'd string up the rod and take it along just in case. I located four mulberry trees that were hanging heavy with berries over the water. The carp were staged up and cruising right under and downstream of several of these trees and were already all over the falling berries.

There were about a dozen carp of various sizes cruising around my berry "honey hole". The water was very off color from the rain the previous evening so I just took at shot at whatever was willing to play and laid one of my old tattered berry flies from last year in the vicinity of feeding carp. One carp came up and nudged the fly but didn't take it. I've learned to be patient with carp feeding on top on berries. Its almost like everything is in slow motion. Finally another fish surfaced under my fly and I saw the take and the fly disappeared. A quick strip set and it was Game On! It wasn't a huge fish - only about 5 lbs. but it put up a great fight and totally demolished my old berry fly during the battle. Nothing that a razor blade and a little vise time can't take care of. Taking them on top is so much fun!

It is a bumper crop of berries this year and there are a lot of them in different stages of development. I'm thinking it should last maybe through the weekend unless we get a lot of wind over the next few days. Gotta jump on them quick, it'll be over before you know it. Good luck!

Attach file:

jpg  Mulberries.JPG (96.99 KB)
6132_59373c73d2eeb.jpg 446X336 px

jpg  Berry Carp 1.JPG (91.83 KB)
6132_59373c83f2adc.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 6/6 19:39

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com