Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 2010 Susky YOY Study

From York, PA
1 WT, or is it Wooleybugger, as much as you have irritated me me with your ridiculous posts in the past, I have to agree that conditions in the Susquehanna River are pretty dismal.

So sorry that I irritated you! I was one of the few who complained about the decline of the once world class Susquehanna. Don't hate me, I'm only being truthful with my fishing observations.
Bob Clouser complained even more than I did! He sued the state, stopped writing books, stopped guiding, and closed his fly shop!
But still some folks refuse to believe what is happening. Maybe a good strong rain will wash and cleanse the river? LOL and the bass and rockbass will return?..... if only we had a better size limit for keepers? ...... if only we had a more expensive fishing license? ...... maybe a bass stamp? ...... maybe only barbless hooks? .... maybe hundreds more fish wardens? ...... maybe if we pray more?

"Living is easy with eyes closed
misunderstanding all you see
it's getting hard to be someone, but it all works out
it doesn't matter much to me"

Posted on: 2010/8/22 14:56

From York County
Actually, only one of your posts has really irritated me.

Some of your posts do come off as misplaced aggression and/or attacks on people. Calm down.

We'll close our eyes..... as not to see you gut hook any more trout and then release them to continue fishing, hows that sound.

I even stated my disgust for the current state of the Susquehanna River, however I'm not the one trying to belittle others who are just doing their job. You come off as a real jerk, I believe your real persona carries through to us here on the site, through the very words you are typing.

Next troll please.

Posted on: 2010/8/22 18:21

From York, PA
We'll close our eyes..... as not to see you gut hook any more trout and then release them to continue fishing, hows that sound.

LMAO!! you sound like the "troll" to me, dude!

Posted on: 2010/8/23 16:17

From York County
Yeah, that's hilarious. Lets start a poll. lol.

You win for making me laugh, best joke of the day.

Or should I just put a link in here pointing out where I got the "gut hook" reference, oh yeah from one of your posts from last year, using your previous alias.
http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newb ... t_id=73489#forumpost73489

Posted on: 2010/8/23 22:25

From Bozeman
My favorite wooleybugger moment was when he went on and on wishing for a massive catastrophe with millions of deaths.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 23:06

From Hershey, PA
While the PFBC can NOT be blamed for the demise of the Susquehanna River smallmouth bass fishery they can be called out for their lack of will to respond to it.

The issues have been known for several years and we have not yet had any change in management of the resource.

For the past few weeks, prior to the rains of the past week, the Susquehanna river had been below 3 feet on the Harrisburg USGS gauge. The water flow levels are that their lowest, dissolved oxygen at the lowest, water and air temps at their highest, and YET, the multiple tournament clubs are still having as many tournaments as they can hold.

The infamous Susquehanna River Tournament Trail just held a very large tournament out of the City Island pool The river gauge was at 3.0 feet and the air temps were in the 80's with water temps to match,
and these tool bags are holding large adult smallmouth bass in metal boxes for hours at a time and then using them for a big show, err "weigh-in", at the end of it.

They claimed on their website to weigh in 95 smallmouth bass for a total weight of 268 pounds.

How many of those fish made it through that experience?

Why these events are allowed to exist considering the circumstances of the river is beyond me.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 7:47

From York County
I agree, I was asked why I didn't join a tournament this year that my local club was holding.

I told them that I didn't think the tournament should even be held with the condition the river is in.

They looked at me puzzled like I told a joke and they didn't get. It's bad enough already with TMI and Bruner island discharging 110 degree water into the river in my area. And then on top of that extreme low water 90 degree temps and a bunch of half drunk idiots yankin' bass out and tossing them aound in their boat.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 10:24

From Chester County
Quote:

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
I agree, I was asked why I didn't join a tournament this year that my local club was holding.

I told them that I didn't think the tournament should even be held with the condition the river is in.

They looked at me puzzled like I told a joke and they didn't get. It's bad enough already with TMI and Bruner island discharging 110 degree water into the river in my area. And then on top of that extreme low water 90 degree temps and a bunch of half drunk idiots yankin' bass out and tossing them aound in their boat.

Good for you Jake.

IMHO, priorities should be in order of importance:

1. Conservation
2. Sportsmanship
3. Fishing

Posted on: 2010/8/25 10:44

I do not condone bass tournaments, especially when conditions are so dire on the river. However, the characterization of the participants in such tournaments as "tool bags" or "half-drunk idiots", in my opinion, is not productive and is far from the truth. The tournament participants that I know are as passionate about fishing as we are; only their gear and methods are different. Rather than fighting among ourselves, we should form alliances and present a common voice to the agencies charged with managing the resource as well as our political leaders.

The current state of the river is not a result of tournament angling, bait fishing, or even keeping a few fish for dinner. There are almost complete year classes of SMB missing! The problem is complex, likely multi-faceted, systemic, and is complicated by climatological issues (I will leave it at that). In my opinion, banning or restricting tournaments, or even closing the fishery will not solve the problem.

Complaining about the PAFBC on this forum is non-productive. The PAFBC folks that I have known over the years are dedicated professionals and care deeply about our freshwater resources. However, as I understand, they are funded primarily by license sales and do not have the resources necessary to figure out the root cause(s) of the SMB population crash in the river.

Call me a pessimist, but unless a public health risk can be linked to the decline in the SMB population in the middle and lower river, I believe that we have already seen the best SMB that the river can offer.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 17:33

From Hershey, PA
Nothing Fancy

"I do not condone bass tournaments, especially when conditions are so dire on the river. However, the characterization of the participants in such tournaments as "tool bags" or "half-drunk idiots", in my opinion, is not productive and is far from the truth. The tournament participants that I know are as passionate about fishing as we are; only their gear and methods are different."

I guess you don't spend too much time at the Goldsboro or Middletown ramps during tournament season.

While I agree that some of the tournament participants conduct themselves with a professional demeanor, the descriptions above are pretty accurate.

I apologize for painting all with one brush but spend some time at a major Susquehanna river ramp on a saturday or sunday and you'll get a different opinion.

If they were as passionate about the resources as they were about ego's, bragging rights, patched shirts, and moving up the tournament hiearchy,
they would be the best protectors and advocates of the river you could find.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 18:09

From York County
The "tool bags" I was refering to are from a club ("private drinking establishment") I belong to, and the tournament starts in the club parking lot with a shotgun blast as members are cracking beers at six a.m. Steroetypically most of the club members fit the bill for half drunk idiots and I was not making an attack on spin fishing.

I am sure most tournaments are fairly professionally organized, just that I happen to know a fair number of the half drunk idiots who are club members personally, that said it is probably the most redneck tournament held on an annual basis.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 23:21

From Susquehanna Riverkeeper website: http://www.lowersusquehannariverkeeper.org/

"Once again this year, we are seeing die-offs of the Young of Year Smallmouth. Low river flows and high temperatures may be causing some of these deaths, but we are also finding sex organ mutations in the adult Smallmouth. The chemicals causing these mutations could also be responsible for possible immune deficiencies that may make the young more vulnerable to the low-flow, high temperature conditions in the shallow areas that are the nurseries for the young bass. Recent USGS research into the effects of fish exposure to tiny amounts of the corn herbicide Atrazine (.5 ppb) shows that this poison could be one of the chemicals responsible". http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=2467&from=news_side

"The combination of this and other chemicals known to cause "endocrine disruption", such as estrogen and other pharmaceuticals, PCB's and dioxins, and bisphenol A, can work together increasing the negative effects. We are working with USGS to further this research".

Posted on: 2010/8/27 11:31

From Delaware Co.
Nuttin Fancy do you know if anyone is putting any pressure on the DEP to clean up the river . It seems like everyone is putting all the pressure on the PFBC to clean it up . Has the DEP had any public meetings or even published any finding about the river .

Posted on: 2010/8/27 16:28

From Hershey, PA
Frederick

DEP has been pressured but in all honesty the Rendell administration has done a hatchet job to it's budget and their enforcement resources are stretched thin.

I went to the last meeting and heard Dr.Blazer's presentation. It seems to me that they (DEP, USGS, SRBC) know what the pollution is, where it's coming from, and how to fix, but they just do not have the political backing to do anything about it.

Research Atrazine.

The PFBC can make immediate changes to the way the resource is managed through regulations to achieve at least some relief to adult smallmouth in the river, like say, declaring the river a catch and immediate release fishery.

Posted on: 2010/8/27 20:54

From Delaware Co.

Posted on: 2010/8/27 21:23

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com