Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

tippet to leader

From Orwin
I'm just curious what knot everyone uses to tie their tippet to the leader. I've been using a surgeons knot, but it hasn't been all that faithful. I'm using a basic 5x tapered leader to 2lb fluorocarbon. Give me some insight on what I might wanna change or a different knot to go to. Thanks for any help.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 23:17

Re: tippet to leader

From Greensburg, PA
I use a blood know unless my hands are freezing or its getting dark, then I use a double surgeons knot.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 23:33

From Lehigh Valley
I use a bloodknot but... when my hands are cold, its too dark, or i'm too excited or impatient i'll use a double uni knot.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 23:55

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
I use a triple surgeon's.

The blood and surgeon's are illustrated here: http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html

They also have an Orvis Tippet knot illustrated that looks interesting...

Posted on: 2009/3/10 0:05

From Bozeman
Blood knot. They are tough to tie with cold hands, but get easier with practice. They don't kink the leader like a surgeon's knot. Also, a completely useless reason for using them is that they are aesthetically pleasing and fun to tie. I guess I'm a geek, but I'm a man that can admire a well tied blood knot for a good 30 seconds.

I've cut back to once in a blue moon frequency with my dipping habits, but I'm pretty sure the inventor of the blood knot chewed. A gob of mint skoal juice slides them right into place every time.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 0:48

From Pine Grove
I originally used blood knots but got tired of doing them standing in the water trying to hold everything.

I've been using double surgeon's every time since with no issues.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 7:39

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

a trick from an old timer for you freezing finger types.
works in hot weather also.
Half a blood knot.
make a loop on end of leader-put tippet through it,tighten loop,make your five wraps around leader with tippet material,tighten
always moisten while tying of course.
You will be pleasantly surprised to find half a blood knot is as strong as a full blood knot as long as you remember the loop goes in the thicker line-duh.lol
You don't have to pay me for this-it used to be common practice but young,brilliant,college boys couldn't figure it out-lol
And no the loop[wind knot ]does not weaken the line 50% because the tippet material wrapped around it strengthen it. thats why blood knots work.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 7:59

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
a trick from an old timer for you freezing finger types.
works in hot weather also.
Half a blood knot.
make a loop on end of leader-put tippet through it,tighten loop,make your five wraps around leader with tippet material,tighten
always moisten while tying of course.
You will be pleasantly surprised to find half a blood knot is as strong as a full blood knot as long as you remember the loop goes in the thicker line-duh.lol
You don't have to pay me for this-it used to be common practice but young,brilliant,college boys couldn't figure it out-lol
And no the loop[wind knot ]does not weaken the line 50% because the tippet material wrapped around it strengthen it. thats why blood knots work.

that's just tying a clinch knot to a loop. You risk the one cutting through the other, especially if you use floro. You;d be better off tying two loops and going loop to loop. That's a much better connection in spite of its bulk.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 9:01

Politely disagree-can't say about flouro but if done correctly on mono,the half blood is as strong as tippet material[the thinner line]
works fine -try it before disregarding-lol

Posted on: 2009/3/10 9:31

From Greensburg, PA
its just a clinch knot...I have tried it...seemed like it might work. Its just not a good knot for that purpose.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 9:38

From King Of Prussia, Pa
I just use a double surgeons. It's a quick, simple knot to tie and I've never had any issues, atleast I don't think I ever did.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 10:43

From Lewistown
I use a triple surgeons. If I'm in a rush it's a double.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 11:14

Primarly use the blood knot- feel it gets a better connection and feel to the end of my leader. Probably just a personal psychological issue.

I agree with MKern on the triple. I think sandfly told me once in a post that the triple does'nt cant to one side as much.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 11:19

From Harrisburg PA
I use a knot I saw in an article by Lefty Kreh called the Forcep Blood Knot. Fast to tie, holds great and because forceps are used in place of 1 hand, it works well for those w/ less nimble fingers or cold hands.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 11:24

From philadelphia
i go loop to loop

Posted on: 2009/3/10 11:26

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com