tippet to leader

• Thread starter clarksvalley326
  • Start date
C

clarksvalley326

I'm just curious what knot everyone uses to tie their tippet to the leader. I've been using a surgeons knot, but it hasn't been all that faithful. I'm using a basic 5x tapered leader to 2lb fluorocarbon. Give me some insight on what I might wanna change or a different knot to go to. Thanks for any help.

I use a blood know unless my hands are freezing or its getting dark, then I use a double surgeons knot.

I use a bloodknot but... when my hands are cold, its too dark, or i'm too excited or impatient i'll use a double uni knot.

I use a triple surgeon's.

The blood and surgeon's are illustrated here: http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html

They also have an Orvis Tippet knot illustrated that looks interesting...

Blood knot. They are tough to tie with cold hands, but get easier with practice. They don't kink the leader like a surgeon's knot. Also, a completely useless reason for using them is that they are aesthetically pleasing and fun to tie. I guess I'm a geek, but I'm a man that can admire a well tied blood knot for a good 30 seconds.

I've cut back to once in a blue moon frequency with my dipping habits, but I'm pretty sure the inventor of the blood knot chewed. A gob of mint skoal juice slides them right into place every time.

I originally used blood knots but got tired of doing them standing in the water trying to hold everything.

I've been using double surgeon's every time since with no issues.

a trick from an old timer for you freezing finger types.
works in hot weather also.
Half a blood knot.
make a loop on end of leader-put tippet through it,tighten loop,make your five wraps around leader with tippet material,tighten
always moisten while tying of course.
You will be pleasantly surprised to find half a blood knot is as strong as a full blood knot as long as you remember the loop goes in the thicker line-duh.lol
You don't have to pay me for this-it used to be common practice but young,brilliant,college boys couldn't figure it out-lol
And no the loop[wind knot ]does not weaken the line 50% because the tippet material wrapped around it strengthen it. thats why blood knots work.

pete41 wrote:
a trick from an old timer for you freezing finger types.
works in hot weather also.
Half a blood knot.
make a loop on end of leader-put tippet through it,tighten loop,make your five wraps around leader with tippet material,tighten
always moisten while tying of course.
You will be pleasantly surprised to find half a blood knot is as strong as a full blood knot as long as you remember the loop goes in the thicker line-duh.lol
You don't have to pay me for this-it used to be common practice but young,brilliant,college boys couldn't figure it out-lol
And no the loop[wind knot ]does not weaken the line 50% because the tippet material wrapped around it strengthen it. thats why blood knots work.

that's just tying a clinch knot to a loop. You risk the one cutting through the other, especially if you use floro. You;d be better off tying two loops and going loop to loop. That's a much better connection in spite of its bulk.

Politely disagree-can't say about flouro but if done correctly on mono,the half blood is as strong as tippet material[the thinner line]
works fine -try it before disregarding-lol

its just a clinch knot...I have tried it...seemed like it might work. Its just not a good knot for that purpose.

I just use a double surgeons. It's a quick, simple knot to tie and I've never had any issues, atleast I don't think I ever did.

I use a triple surgeons. If I'm in a rush it's a double.

Primarly use the blood knot- feel it gets a better connection and feel to the end of my leader. Probably just a personal psychological issue.

I agree with MKern on the triple. I think sandfly told me once in a post that the triple does'nt cant to one side as much.

I use a knot I saw in an article by Lefty Kreh called the Forcep Blood Knot. Fast to tie, holds great and because forceps are used in place of 1 hand, it works well for those w/ less nimble fingers or cold hands.

acristickid wrote:
Primarly use the blood knot- feel it gets a better connection and feel to the end of my leader.

Wow Paul, you've risen to such a level of sensitivity that you can feel the difference between two different types of knots on your leader!

I use a triple surgeons when tying on my tippet section. If I'm joining a length of tippet with the fly already attached, I use a blood knot. Either works just as well IMO, but I usually use the surgeons because it's a little easier and faster to tie.

scotto wrote:
I use a knot I saw in an article by Lefty Kreh called the Forcep Blood Knot. Fast to tie, holds great and because forceps are used in place of 1 hand, it works well for those w/ less nimble fingers or cold hands.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/videos/hemostatbloodknot.wmv

I found this demonstration of that knot...am I seeing this wrong? The knot does not end up parallel to the line as a regular blood knot would but appears to end up perpendicular to the line.

You guys that say your using a loop to loop or something similar, wouldn't that effect your presentation? How long is your tippet?

I goofed up and Tom the proof reader caught it and I fought it.dang-tough getting old-apologies to Tom.
Several times I said loop when of course meant overhand knot-
overhand knot the heavier line clinch the lighter and its as strong as a regular blood knot because the lighter gives first

got it...I think I'll just practice tying knots with my eyes shut.

Back