Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: tippet and leader suggestions

From Hershey
Another option for the "newer" fly fisherman would be the furled leader which has a tippet ring or loop to attach tippet. A standard leader could also be fitted with a tippet ring to avoid confusion by a new fly fisherman who cannot determine where the leader stops and the tippet starts. Its quite easy to determine how much tippet from the ring and make adjustments.

I use the same furled leader for an entire season or longer and have them on all my reels.
I only need to carry one extra furled leader in case of a catastrophe and I have many sizes of tippet.
Just one way to do it.

Posted on: 3/11 6:37

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
The leader on my main set up right now is easily 3 years old. At least parts of it are. I've replaced sections on both ends, but not the middle. It's still reliably stronger than the tippet and unkinked.

Posted on: 3/12 13:09

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
The leader on my main set up right now is easily 3 years old. At least parts of it are. I've replaced sections on both ends, but not the middle. It's still reliably stronger than the tippet and unkinked.

Hahahahahhahah.

Why not replace the ancient remnant of mono if you are rebuilding the rest of your leader?

I've seen enough weak, beat up mono to make it worth my small amount of time and money to make sure my leaders are fresh. I don't understand the logic of trying to conserve a beat up leader. If you fish even just a handful of times per year, your leader is junk after three years. Even a braided or furled leader is reaching the end of it's lifespan after that amount of time and use.

Kev

Posted on: 3/12 17:28

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I'm not consciously trying to conserve it. All of my leaders are in a constant state of rebuild, I do it multiple times per outing.

Generally, though, rebuilds involve messing with the butt and tippet ends, and leaving the middle taper intact. I carry 3 leaders with different tapers. From those 3 I can pretty much build whatever I want on the spot.

I should replace em just because, I guess, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. They're still of proper lengths and have no problem with the hand stretch test.

They are true mono's, FWIW, not a copolymer, which are a lot softer but also have more longevity problems. Maxima Chameleon. The thick, stiff, brown stuff.

Posted on: 3/13 13:24

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com