seine-ing 101 ?

geebee

geebee

do you do it ? - if so, how often , first thing in the morning or every few hours ?

do you do it in every pool, or just in different types of water ?

do you seine pools and runs ?

I just bought a quick-seine from LL Bean (which looks easy) and then i realised i'd never read anything about the where and when.

Cheers

Mark,

If you're after a certain bug find out hatch time ( also good to know where the nymph likes to hang out )and get to it a few weeks prior to first listing. You can do this anytime any part of the stream, the weeds, leaves, riffles, runs all over. I do it anytime I get the chance. You know those white plastic containers you get Chinese take out in? They make great places to put your bugs in stream side.

Here, there and everywhere. They can save an outing. I was fishing Pine below Cedar Run on day in late May. There were multiple mayflies emerging and I was having no success. Upon seining the water, I discover a #16 tan caddis emerger was the predominant food source. That siene turned a potential skunk into one of the best days I've had on Pine.

I seine a lot but rather with a kick seine to see what sorts of nymphs populate a stream or parts of a stream.

If I see fish sipping mystery stuff, I'll usually just watch a section of water surface very carefully and usually you will see the insect (or the shucked cases) that are being fed upon. Nevertheless, a seine is better and will get emergers under the film that you might miss with the naked eye.

Check the rulebook before you go seining just anywhere , i'm pretty sure seining is prohibited in ATW's . I know from experience that seining for bait is prohibited 'cause when we were younger we used to get hellgramites out of one particular riffle and myself and 3 buddies got fined for it.

Never! I prefer to catch bugs in the air. The I look at the rise forms. then I tie on a royal wulff. :) Seriously though seining could be useful if I wanted to carry more stuff with me. But I don' have any desire to do that, I carry enough already.

" i'm pretty sure seining is prohibited in ATW's"

This is news to me, anyone else have any input on that ^

I really doubt if sample seining is prohibited, bait taking is regulated. Sample before you fish a water if you'd like, once a day is plenty, set up in an average riffle and try to do a thorough 3x3 area. You'll be amazed at the diversity if you're fishing a clean stream. Take small sample bottles filled with alcochol if you want to reference back to them at home

thanks guys, i'm not going to get too far into entymology but i think knowing the size and shape of whats in the drift and on the bottom is going to help in nymph selection.

Actually, I would not be surprised that seining by any method that disturbs the streambed would be considered unlawful. In the Smoky Mountains National Park, you can be fined for flipping rocks. I doubt it would or has ever happened, but it is possible.

Geebee, as you get further into fly fishing you will get further into entymology. You don't need to learn Latin to see what's in the water and under the rocks. Just for fun seine in a riffle by first scraping the rocks to dislodge the tiny invertebrates and then pick some rocks up and dislodge some more gravel. Let me know what you find. Jack, I can't believe that it's illegal to flip rocks on any Pa. inland waters, if it is I'm a happy serial law breaker , any seining laws refer to commercial fishing regs.

I didn't say it was illegal, just that I wouldn't be so surprised. I am correct about the National Park regulation, however. I looked that one up accidentally while research trips down that way.

Back