Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: safety: fishing rough, remote topography

From Montgomery County
awesome photos kbob. Stay safe out there...

Posted on: 2011/2/2 22:46

Webmaster
Good conversation and has me rethinking all the crap I haul around with me. Actually been doing pretty well trimming the junk back lately in my chest pack.

Good planning comes to mind for safety if your running around in some of the backwoods fishing. I didn't see the movie first discussed, but followed the story when it broke a few years ago and the one thing still stands out from letting a big rock fall on you and then having to hack your arm off...tell someone where you are going and when you will be back. Could be worth an arm to you. Just saying.

After that a plastic whistle, space blanket, small knife, a few matches, energy bar and some water would see most anyone through one cold wet night. Most people get in real serious trouble not from lack of food, water or big rocks dropping on them, but hypothermia.

That being said when I am fishing in the future I might fish close to JackM and his flask that way when I do have an arm needing hacked off it won't feel quit as painful.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 22:55

From down the block from the Letort.
I'll put in a third vote for the SPOT tracker.

They're handy little units, about the size of your fist. They can be set up for real time tracking, not just for emergency use, and they do have a distress '911' button for when things go pear shaped and you need extracted. They're quite popular with the self support bike packing crowd, where you cover a lot of ground and put yourself wayyyyyy out there. If wifey is curious or concerned about your whereabouts, she can log in and see pretty directly where you're at.

Of course, the most important safety tool is the one between your ears...

Posted on: 2011/2/3 8:58

From York County
I have always been interested in this topic. I have the SAS Survival Handbook, (Older large version), and have always been interested in preparedness and Survival skills.

However, this past summer I jumped in my truck with some camera and fishing gear and decided to try a 22 mile hike on the "AT". I drank maybe a quart and a half of Gatorade on the way there thinking that would be plenty. Hiked over an 1,100 ft. ridge and just kept walking and walking in one direction for about 9 miles when I realized the hot humid air was getting to me and it was getting late. I was drenched in sweat and thirsty the entire trip back and ended up drinking water from a ground seepage.

I will not make that mistake again. Make sure you bring enough water with you. I went out after that and bought an extra large water container.

I always keep a survival kit in my truck in case I want to stow it, which contains all kinds of useful goodies and I usually carry a Leatherman and a substantially large pocket knife.

Posted on: 2011/2/3 18:58

"Make sure you bring enough water with you. I went out after that and bought an extra large water container."

great point, my new vest has extra pockets that can hold more water bottles, and I also added a small flat bottle and water treatment tablets to it. the water treatment tabs were cheap at REI

Posted on: 2011/2/4 11:20

From harlansburg
Quote:
If wifey is curious or concerned about your whereabouts, she can log in and see pretty directly where you're at.

that is exactly why I don't want one!! I also love the fact that cell phones don't work in lots of brookie stream ravines! I always turn it off anyways when I fish. the only person I care to talk to is the person I am fishing with.
I really like traveling out of the country, cell phone stays home, nice to experience the world without thinking one needs to be in constant contact.
and you can never carry too much water. or at least take some kind of purification device. tablets, filter, whatever. I have a bottle that has a filter built in, it's not perfect, but it takes out most of the nasty stuff.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 13:05

From Lower Burrell
Sounds like you're pretty well prepared!

Don't forget to bring the sidearm when you go into the backwoods too!

Posted on: 2011/2/13 10:13

Photobucket

you think you have problems

Posted on: 2011/2/13 13:14

From Morrisville
As a FF/Emt I would also say bring a days worth of any meds you take on a daily basis i.e. heart, bp, diabetes. I had to spend a night out while hunting a few years ago got turned around pretty bad a couple things I never go into the wilderness without are a good sharp knife, fire starter ( I prefer the newer ones work even when wet lighters dont) and a compass the gps is great but may not work in rough contry these couple things can make a bad trip easier.A small emergency kit can be made and fit into a plastic band-aid box dosen't take up alot of room. That and don't listen to everything Bear Grylls says =)

Posted on: 2011/2/15 19:49

From lancaster county
Resized Image

In Pete's closet are a few of these

Posted on: 2011/2/18 15:39

If you mean me-have been too embarrassed to wear any western down here.I stepped on a gator-

Posted on: 2011/2/18 16:21

From Johnstown, PA
I've fallen and i can't get up!!!! You can keep a nice little emergency kit in a smoke less tobacco can , it's waterproof so ......matches , razor blades , needles , alluminum foil (In case you need a hat) , baggies , water tablets , band aids , etc. all in a snuff can. Throw a few of those valiums in there eh?

Posted on: 2011/2/20 5:38

From Johnstown, PA
This is a really cool post K-Bob!!!

Posted on: 2011/2/20 5:42

great thread. I have another reason to carry a lot of water on fishing trips: After hiking and fishing in ravines for hours, plus the 3-5 hour roundtrip drive, I sometimes get wicked charlie horse cramps... ouch! and more water helps with that.

Posted on: 2011/2/21 10:45

Quote:

k-bob wrote:
great thread. I have another reason to carry a lot of water on fishing trips: After hiking and fishing in ravines for hours, plus the 3-5 hour roundtrip drive, I sometimes get wicked charlie horse cramps... ouch! and more water helps with that.

I often get brutal leg muscle cramps too after these jaunts. Often when driving home, or when getting out of the car.

Drinking chocolate milk after hard exercise, for muscle recovery, is advocated by many runners and other athletes and trainers.

I've started drinking chocolate milk immediately after the hike and I think it does help.

Posted on: 2011/2/21 11:45

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com