nymphing deep slow water

marcq

marcq

there is a spot at a local stream where fish like to hold in. its great dry fly water good streamer water but im having trouble nymphing it. i would say it is atleast 4 ft deep maybe 8 in some spots but there is no real curent to carry the fly. almost like a pond. how would you nymph something like this?

thanks marc.

small indy.. forward mend... or slowly lead the fly through the pool after the sink with your rod. ..

Bobber it up, make sure to put the fly deep under the float. If there's absolutely no current, then move it yourself real slow.

Either that or, if you think they'll be agressive, work a streamer deep. Sometimes I work a big ole stonefly like a streamer as well.

This situation is one where fly fishing isn't the ideal method, but you can make it work.

I would go small flies and light tippet under a high-floating indicator.

Second that, I would skip that water no matter how many fish are in there and fish more "productive" water.

Alot of trout live in "Frog" water!

I know trout live there and hang-out there. I just don't think it is productive to fish there unless a hatch or the fish move up in the water column to actively feed.

If there is a hole that is decent size and has a handful of trout in it there are also trout in teh riffle above and below that pool, and those trout are willig to hit any fly that drifts by (well without too much drag). Why stress over picky, non-feeding trout. Not saying they won't eat or aren't opportunistic. just saying that the ones above and below are aggressively feeding.

It depends on the stream. Some places, fishing the frog water is required because there is so much of it. The faster stretches are usually really good in these streams, but I can't spend all day on them because there are so few.

The upper delaware and a few small streams closer to home come to mind.

In central and north central PA, I usually skip frog water at all costs, because there is enough productive fast water. I consider that a luxury of fishing those streams.

MKern is spot on IMO. Never understood people fishing these areas in the winter either when so few trout are feeding and those in the slow deep areas are less inclined to do so.
In these situations (in the winter) I end up snagging more fish than those I catch legit.
It comes down to presence of fish versus the presence of feeding fish.
But as JayL wrote, if that's what you have, you fish it.

Agree with all.

In the winter, yeah, I avoid it at all costs. But at optimal water temps, I would dispute the idea that the fish in these waters aren't actively feeding. It's simply harder to fish with a fly rod. As I said, a fly rod isn't the optimal tool for this job.

I take my observation from many years of workin minnies. I loved these areas and cleaned up in them when the fish were actively chasin, which they did a lot of in slower water. In fast water it was better to drift stuff (eggs, nymphs, etc.).

After switching to a fly rod, I took that cue and often try workin streamers, with some success, but I wouldn't call it "resounding." If you're gonna fish it, definitely better to wait for those 60-68 water temps when those fish will chase.

Skip over it, or put on a spinner :lol:

marcq wrote:
there is a spot at a local stream where fish like to hold in. its great dry fly water good streamer water but im having trouble nymphing it. i would say it is atleast 4 ft deep maybe 8 in some spots but there is no real curent to carry the fly. almost like a pond. how would you nymph something like this?

thanks marc.

Dry dropper with a curly indicator keeping your mind just ahead of the lack of current and patience. Even pond water moves, but you can't see it on the surface. Cast upstream, the under current will sweep the nymph to the bank but the dry will stay inside a bit ahead so don't let you rod tip lag. Weight in the nymph I would make sure not to over weight it.

Give it a try, pond water is a challenge.

wetnet wrote:
marcq wrote:

thanks marc.

Dry dropper with a curly indicator keeping your mind just ahead of the lack of current and patience. Even pond water moves, but you can't see it on the surface. Cast upstream, the under current will sweep the nymph to the bank but the dry will stay inside a bit ahead so don't let you rod tip lag. Weight in the nymph I would make sure not to over weight it.

Why would you use a curly indicator in a slow water pool dry dropper situation?

jdaddy wrote:
wetnet wrote:
marcq wrote:

thanks marc.

Yea I wondered that too. I was going to suggest a curly before I read wetnet's post, but doesnt the dry fly do what the curly is intended to do?

With older clients that can't see I have them fish a curly with small dries and late night spinner falls and the curly works great.

Either slow retrieve similar to still water fishing or use a yarn indicator if some subtle current. When the yarn flutters, tilts or twists hit em fast.

BrookieBuster101 wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
wetnet wrote:
marcq wrote:

thanks marc.

Yea I wondered that too. I was going to suggest a curly before I read wetnet's post, but doesnt the dry fly do what the curly is intended to do?

Sorry I caught the error. Not a Dry dropper but a small dropper dropper with the curly. Two droppers. I apologize. A nymph fisherman with dry flies on the brain who would have thunk it?

I would use a curly pretty much just for me in slower deep water water, no more than hip high so take it for what it's worth. Sorry for the mistype.

Back