Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

nymph

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
i am not new to fly fishing but i need help with the nymphing. what are some all arround patterns that will do good in southeast PA. im sure ill be able to figure it out. most of my fish iv cought were on dry's and streamers. iv gotten a couple on nymphs, but i think im not using the right pattern.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 21:34

Re: nymph
From Dallastown, PA
You cannot go wrong with Gold ribbed hares ears and phesant tails. Sizes #10 to #20. Flip over some rocks inthe riffles to see what bug like there is and try to match the sizes.

When talking about nymphs you are talking about mayflys.

Other goos choices are caddis pupae or larvae which are basically just a white or green or brown dubbing on a #16-#18 hook with a dark head and sume guard hair for legs up in the head area.

Also in clear water midge pupae is good for sight fishing or drifiting to likely lies. Black, green gray even red are good choices.

That ought ot get you started.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 21:45

From Upper Saucon, PA
If I am running a nymph, I'll turn over a few rocks to see what's crawling around on them. From there its a simple look into the fly box and see what matches. I find dark brown or black patterns to be the best for PA natives or holdovers. I would suggest getting a few San Juans also, in red, pink, and green, they work for me most anytime of the year.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 0:01

From Johnstown, PA
Turning over the rocks is great advice.........Maurice what about stoneflies? Nymphs?

Posted on: 2009/4/25 11:52

From Dallastown, PA
Yeah...stoneflies are nymphs...I forgot about them....and they are one of my favs. Thanks for bringing that to the surface.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 23:49

From Media, PA
Good advice above, to which I will add; try a bead head, Z-wing caddis. A 14 scud hook is a good starting point. It is a simple pattern, and deadly during a hatch, or as a search pattern. Match the body color to the hatch, and try swinging it with some twitches before the line straightens out. Tan and olive are my favorite, though I am always tinkering with this pattern. Good luck!

Posted on: 2009/4/28 13:07

From Johnstown, PA
Mauric beleive me i'm not brow beatin you but dragonflies and damsel flies also have pretty good nymphs. are hellgramites nymphs (mean nymphs)? I can't wait y to use that line "Hey" baby, nice nymphs"

Posted on: 2009/4/30 21:28

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
went down to valley creek last weekend made sure that i got something on a nymph. did all the thing that you guys told me to do. couldent find the hatch. but i tied on a caddis larva and within the first five cast i had a nice little brown on. cought two more fish on it through out the day the biggest being a 14 incher. i looked under a lot of rocks to find some bugs to match got a couple of nice looking matches on the bugs but dident get any on them i dident see any caddis lavra to but im happie with what i cought.

thanks for the info guys.

Posted on: 2009/4/30 22:31

From Phila for now, Hawaii is home
zebra midges are always a good call in sepa. work them just off the bottom with a really light splitshot (maybe size eight or nine depending on the water speed) about four to six inches above. you should have pretty good success with that.

Posted on: 2009/4/30 23:56

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com