no fish for me

paragon

paragon

I am pretty new to the world of fly fishing. I am currenty a student a Pitt law school. For the past 2 months I have been reading this forum and learning all that I can. I have also made friends with ym local fly shop guy and purchased instructional books and dvds. While my casting technique is getting solid, and I am getting much better at tying knots while my fingers are frozen, I have yet to catch a fish. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy my time on the water, and it is quite relaxing just to be outside. Although, I would like to actually catch something at some point. Any pointers about fishing in the Pittsburgh area would be so appreciated.

Your time is coming. Soon the Bluegills will start moving into the shallows and you can hone your newly found skills on them. You can go to the Point or pretty much any body of water and cast foam spiders, small nymphs or just about anything you think they can fit in their mouths.

A hand size bluegill fights as hard as a two pound trout. But more importantly you can catch enough of them at one time to consider it good practice.

If you've started tying your own flies they're also great because they take all your reject flies that you'd never present to a trout.

The only down side is that they usually turn on right between the time all the ATWs close and opening day. But they are an awesome way to learn to fly fish. Good luck.

Paragon

If I were you the first thing I would do is transfer to PSU and get into a area with some great trout water...just kidding!

Sorry I can't help you, don't know anything about your area! Just keep at it, the fish will come!

PaulG

Fishing is difficult when the water is still so cold. Things will pick up soon and you'll be catching plenty of fish as long as you have the basics down and you choose your battles wisely. Stay away from spring creeks for now. Focus on stockies. If its numbers you want learn how to nymph.

I only caught ONE trout my first year of solely trout fishing....Its a sad truth. But I am getting better. Keep at it...the fish will come with each attempt you learn something the books don't convey until you experience it.

This is what keeps yo coming back.

para,
I'll second Tom's suggestion to start with warm water fishes like bluegills. All too often, new FFers (esp if they're completely new to fishing) attempt to learn the basics on challenging trout waters. This often leads to fishless days and frustration. Plus, there's a lot of warm water opportunities around P-burgh allowing for short trips after class etc. If you have specific questions or a particular dilemma, by all means ask about it on this forum - you'll get lotsa feedback. There are also a good number of forum members in your neck of the woods and you might be able to get some direct help and a mentor. Good luck in 2009!

para- Keep at it. I first got into flyfishing in 1995. Messed around with it for a couple of years and kinda drifted away from it. Probably more golf.

Anyway about 5 years ago I got back into it- most of my friends are fly fishers.
(although I frequently bring up my displeasure for them not helping me more)

By all means get out there beat the waters. I have mentioned many times I wish I started out of warm water- you get to work on general casting, get the feel of hook sets, and actually catch some fish.

Flyfishing is/was never easy for me but if you are intersted enough it will come.

There is no way to sit with someone or take a class or two that will replace actual experiences on stream. Don't go by when people says "years" in terms of learning either. It's how many times you go a year that really makes the diiference.

The only way I could fly fish more is if there was a limestone spring creek in Pittsburgh. Then there's the whole tying thing- which the sooner you get into it- you will be happier later (I still struggle tying).

Good luck!

The one thing that kept me from getting better the first couple of years of starting out was that darn spinning rod. It was so much easier to pick up and not have to worry about casting technique and presentation of the fly. I am sure many on here would agree... what a mistake. It was when I finally refused to bring the spinning gear with me that I caught my first trout. I caught my second that evening too.

It will come Paragon.

Also, have you thought about sueing the city of Pittsburg or the state pf PA. That would be great law practice, plus either one might settle by promising you fish on the line.
Just a sarcastic thought too add.

Use woolly buggers and stream them slow in front of a few trout and youll catch one. Dont give up! it takes time.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I guess I should clarify my fishing experience. I have been fishing with spin gear for as long as i can remember. I was introduced to fly fishing a few years ago in New Mexico, and it has been on my mind ever since. I have experienced fishing from hooking up baracuda in the Keys up to small sunfish ponds in PA and most everything in between. I have been looking forward to getting after some smallies on the fly rod for a while now, and I will definitely try to perfect my technique on the warm water fish. For now though I am hunting the elusive trout. I have spent a good portion of my time in the DHALO section of pine creek. I was more mondering about what works as far as flys and what I should look for as far as places (not specific holes, but generally what are some signs I should look for as a likely hiding spot for trout) to find fish. Thanks again for the advice, and I will have to look into tying in the off season.

Fortunately, trout lie in the same places no matter what tackle you are fishing with.

There are all kinds of places to read up on this...here is one.

dont get discourgaed not catching fish with this kind of weather -- wait about 3 weeks, then .... its on :)

Try some egg patterns in bright yellow or pink, San Juan Worms, beadhead Prince nymph. Fish them under a strike indicator at the heads of pools or in deeper runs in the riffles.

Good luck......I practiced my casting outside on the lawn or in a gym for many hours during the winter. Practice makes great presentation.
Some, Community Colleges offer fly casting lessons or call the local TU for help............better yet join TU.

Try a little san juan worm with a black midge pupa dropper at Pine Creek. That's what I usually start with there...and rarely have to change.

Fish for stockies!!! I was in the same boat as you as most trips resulted in taking my rod for a walk.

I tied on a white wooly bugger this morning and was hooking up rainbows left and right. I probably lost as many as I caught due to not getting it in the net soon enough or letting my line go slack reaching for my net (doh!).

I experienced many of the same frustrations you did. I was fishing tough limestone creeks with either pellet fed or holdover fish and wasn't having much luck. Yes, it's nice to be out, but for a beginning fly fisherman, you really start to wonder if this thing they call "fly fishing" really works.

Take your time to understand what trout eat on each type of waterway (spring creek, freestone, etc.) and where they hide. Learning what kind of hatches are on each waterway also helps tremendously if you plan on nymphing.

But in the meantime, all I can say is get out there on stocked water and get your line in the water! :)

If you can manage to be out and the sun is shining brightly, check out any pool after a rifle and look for fish to be moving around facing upstream. I have found some great spots here in central Pa that are farely deep, and the trout are just stacked up in there like cord wood. I haven't learned how to fish faster water, and I'm in the same boat you are as far as knowing what and where, but if I can find a pool and see the fish, then it's all about throwing something at them that they will take. I had to take my Bass hat off and put my trout hat on. Bigger is ussually better for bass, but I'm finding that smaller is generally the deal for trout.
That is probably not even CLOSE to being true, but I have been catching 12 & 14" rainbows on a little black fly I had, that I can BARELY even get the line through the eye of the hook.
It aint gotta be pretty. And I STILL can't believe that these trout, in fast OR slow water, can even SEE these flies. It boggles my mind.

I wasn't a believer that trout can see those flies either until the other day. I tied on a #22 black zebra midge pupa in the Millport Conservancy (Lititz Run) and had the largest trout I've hooked yet (20"+) nail it. Unfortunately I couldn't "seal the deal" and bring him to hand, but I am now a firm believer that trout can see small flies and do in fact go after them. I will point out that you almost have to have a strike indicator on to set the hook at that time the fish takes it or it may be too late. I'm with you - it baffles my mind and I didn't fish small sub-surface flies at all before the other day. Put it in their feeding lane and they'll nail it!

WannaCatch wrote:
but I'm finding that smaller is generally the deal for trout.
That is probably not even CLOSE to being true, but I have been catching 12 & 14" rainbows on a little black fly I had, that I can BARELY even get the line through the eye of the hook.
It aint gotta be pretty. And I STILL can't believe that these trout, in fast OR slow water, can even SEE these flies. It boggles my mind.

It is hard to believe that they see those tiny, tiny little flies. Some of the largest trout I have caught been on the smallest flies I have. Although I have caught some nice ones on huge wooly buggers already. But I was told a long time ago that if your not getting any takes, go smaller.

Hey yall.......I'm completely new to this and am kinda in the same boat as far as not catching anything. I just had one question though..........What the heck is a strike indicator???? I grew up bass fishing with spinning gear and have never heard of one of these. Any help would be much appreciated. thanks

Back