nail knots

odizz17

odizz17

anyone know any videos/instructions on how to tie a quick nail knot w/out a tube or a nail? I usually forget to bring these when i get out fishing, and tend to have to use 2 clinch knots together when attaching leaders to my fly line. Any help is appreciated.

thanks guys

very helpful, thanks again

are you breaking them when out ?? why do you need to tie the leader all the time ??

If you have arthritis in your hands,the winds gusting to 40 and your keeping one eye on the Brownie who's keeping an eye on the interloper, Ill use a nail not tier.

last time i was out, kept getting snagged in the trees lol very windy... With that and all the tangles I was getting, by the time everything was all said and done my leader was only about 3 feet hahaha

If you want to change the entire leader frequently, for whatever reason - you may want to put a "connector" on the end of your fly line.

Just make a perfection loop on the end of your already attached leader butt, and attach a new leader loop to loop with this connector section.

A connector section about 6" to a foot long works nicely for this.

Here's the loop to loop, or "handshake" connection of the two loops:

I generally go totally loopless. I never liked em, I think I lose a little energy or something.

I cut the built in loop off of the fly line, if it is so equipped.

Nail knot a section of thick mono to the end of the fly line. Leader's are then blood knotted to that piece of mono. Yes, with time, that length of mono slowly shortens. And 2 or 3 times per year, I have to make a new nail knot on my main rig.

But I do that in the comfort of my home, I can't do a nail knot streamside. I can do blood knots all day long....

In emergencies, the spare spool comes out before trying to nail knot streamside.

I used to do like Pat does, but went to the loops. It's easier to change out leaders from streamer, to nymph, to dry. I feel that's a whole lot easier than building a leader streamside when conditions change or you want to toss a different fly. Plus you can tie some tiny perfection loops and they're almost undetectable.

Take fly line and nail not a section of 50lb test, put a perfection loop on the end of that. Then tie on your leaders from there.

You should never go more than 2-3 feet deep on a 9 foot tapered leader. Just replace with tippet. I think a lot of "rookies" make the mistake of just using up leaders instead of replacing with tippet. Learn to blood knot, and carry plenty of tippet in all sizes to replace when necessary. Also do as many repairs to your leader as possible at home.

You do this and you'll have more time fishing and less time tying knots.

this was discussed before but I use a piece of leader inserted and welded to the fly line with a small loop at the end then loop the leader to that. I have lines that have needed changing..

Attachments

• DSCN6399.JPG
    DSCN6399.JPG
    763.7 KB · Views: 4
I feel that's a whole lot easier than building a leader.

Oh I don't build leaders streamside. I may adjust them streamside, and of course constantly lengthen and shorten tippet. But I do have pretied leaders with me. If I want to change, it's 1 blood knot. The butt of the leader to the piece of mono which is nail knotted to the fly line.

And in those thick, stiff butt sections, blood knots are especially easy.

For everyday use, I generally carry 6 leaders. 2 of each nymph, dry fly, and brookie. Having a backup is ALWAYS a good idea because when I can get away with it, I don't even carry the Maxima leader materials, just tippet.

The nailess nail knot is all I tie anymore and it's easier to tie than a blood knot and blood knots are easy. I nail knot a 7 inch 25lb red amnesia piece of mono to the fly line and then tie a very small perfection loop at the end of the amnesia. I then improve clinch knot the leader to the perfection loop.

I do not like loop to loop connections, they are too bulky and can get caught in the guides but a perfection loop and clinch knot doesn't seem to get hung up.

just curious...for those cutting the fly line after tying a nail knot, what do you apply to the fly line after you cut it so it doesnt get water logged and start to sink?

jeff

Loon UV Knot sense

I use a 1" piece of an old Orvis braided leader to connect the fly line to a butt section of monofilament. The braided leader is hollow like "chinese fingers" and i use Krazy Glue to weld together. Makes a small, almost seamless connection. Then I blood knot the butt of the leader to the butt section welded to the fly line.

just curious...for those cutting the fly line after tying a nail knot, what do you apply to the fly line after you cut it so it doesnt get water logged and start to sink?
I put a small drop of Superglue on the knot including the stub end of the fly line, and then wick it off with a paper towel. This seals the open end of the fly line.

I've done the superglue thing before. Usually, I use a touch of head cement. Dab on the end of the fly line, and cover the knot to smooth it out some for going through the guides.

Whatever you use, it's gotta be viscous enough to set up around the knot, and not just run off before it dries.

Good tip! In all these years, I never thought to seal the end of the fly line... makes sense now.

I don't like loops so I also cut them off and tie the leader on with a nail knot. I have always sealed the connection with super glue. It seems to work just fine.

Back