HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: long line nymphing

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

goodfortune wrote:
How long of a leader are you guys using when fishing nymphs or midge pupa this way? Also, how far down the leader would you apply grease/floatant?

Completely dependent on the situation. The bigger the water and the deeper the depth, the longer the leader. In a situation as is described, I would say the length of the tippet is the critical thing. I would grease the whole leader, but leave the tippet untouched. Have the tippet about 3' (1.5 times the depth) which is a relatively long tippet...but the tippet will sink quicker with a tiny unweighted nymph and the leader + floatant will have better surface tension with the greater diameter.
In a situation where it is deeper, it just isn't realistic to have a tippet much longer than 3'. In that case I would grease all of the leader minus 1.5 times the depth. Of course, when you get deeper, the splash of a splitshot isn't going to spook the trout as readily, so the shorter tippet becomes less of a factor.

Posted on: 2011/2/14 19:27

From collegeville, pa
since ive done it mostly for sippers under the surface i start with grease up to about 6" before the fly, this means it'll sit like 3" below the surface when riding downstream. dont get the mucilin on the fly....id even clean your hands with dirt/mud and apply it to the remaining leader and fly to make sure it sinks...ive noticed sometimes my whole leader and pupa floating which i dont want. leaders about 10'...maybe a little more. im still trying to work at this method, so its still a learning process for me....

Posted on: 2011/2/14 20:20

Quote:

mcwillja wrote:
I agree with the others that a dry/dropper in that scenario would be a good choice. Another good choice would be to float a curly indicator if you are long line nymphing.

In full agreement with both of these tactics for this scenerio.

Posted on: 2011/2/20 15:31

From Reading
Quote:

bam wrote:
Scenario is a 20 ft wide stream approximately 2 feet deep with high banks on either side... rather uniform, but slow current with trout spaced out evenly. Water is gin clear and smooth on the surface. Got casting room from way above or way below the fish but the closest you're getting without spooking the trout is 30 feet or more. Fish are feeding in the bottom 1/3rd of the water column... probably on midge larvae.

I typically skip this water since one spooked fish at the tail or head ruins the whole stretch, but today I spent some time on a couple sections like these and was rewarded with a nice 12 inch brown on a small phesant tail. Catching that one felt better than the dozen I dredged up in faster water. Took me forever just to get into position and made it count on the first cast. I tried for a few others, but screwed it up with an errant cast or a plop on the surface from some small shot. Floating indicators were a no-no. For me, this is the toughest scenario out there. You need to time the sink rate so the bottom doesn't mess up the drift and perfect casts are a must. Other than learning some patience, how do I up my odds when long line nymphing?

You got it right. Approach said stretch from above and throw a wet/nymph on and and just feed line out. You don't have to worry about spooking or lining them. When fishing this way it is best not to use light tippet as the take is harder on your tippet than usual.

Posted on: 2011/2/21 12:23

From pittsburgh
i think in that situation if it were possible to attack from the down stream end with a weighted wet fly / nymph tandem but then again i tend to spook more fish than i catch

Posted on: 2011/3/1 20:46

-me

There's a book called "No Hatch to Match, Agressive Strategies for Fly-Fishing Between Hatches" by Rich Osthoff. Chapter 3 is "Long Line Nymphing for Active Trout". Great info, I have used the tactic a lot in spooky trout water.

Posted on: 2011/3/2 10:00

One Western way of long distance nymphing uses a long leader with a yarn indicator near where the leader hits the fly line. Cast up and across and mend your line a time or two to get the proper amount of depth. Watch the indicator. When the indicator starts dragging it means you no longer have a dead drift on the nymph. Takes a little practice to get the mends down right, but it works well on those flat even sections of riffle.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 17:02

From St.Clair
I either move to faster water, prospect with a dry, or tie on a para adams or something similar and throw a small nymph underneath. But most of the time, if I'm looking to nymph, it will be done in fast deep water, high sticking with a lot of weight and 2 or 3 flies.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 17:39

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com