Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: increasing hookups with tiny dry flies
From Chester County
I use curved shank hooks, aka scud hooks or emerger hooks (the lighter wire versions) quite a bit in my fishing. I've messed around with them quite a bit and have found, as you stated, the offset works both for you and against you:

Quote:
dc410 wrote:
I try to choose a fly with an offset hook point directed toward my position so when I lift the rod tip on the take the hook point is in line with my rod.

Choosing a hook/fly to fish one side of the stream or the other is splitting hairs WAY too fine for me. Adding that variable of fly selection to the pattern, size, weight of flies for nymphs (I tie flies the same fly in various weights) is far too much, IMO. Therefore I bend ony offset hook straight when I put it in my vise....

Posted on: 2012/9/29 7:06

From LV
Sounds like an refusal to me, or the trout were taking flies that were naturals right next to the fly you presented. This is probably the case if you aren't stinging the fish.

Posted on: 2012/11/1 16:30

From LV
Should have added, if you are stinging the fish, try tying the small flies with a straight eyed hook, you'll get a better hook set.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 20:02

From Da 'Berg, PA
theres an article on midcurrent right now under techniques that talks about a sweep strike - train yourself to strike downstream rather than back and up.

Posted on: 2012/12/5 21:16

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com