good tutorial on how to repair or make welded loops on fly line.

D

DJBerg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSDa5-Ay9YM

Thanks for sharing that.

also finally found a dealer for small diameter heat shrink with decent pricing... here's the link.

http://ties4less.3dcartstores.com/21-Heat-Shrink_c_40.html

Great post, I also saw a post on a blog about using a womans hair straightening iron to make loops, then he tested it with a 20 lb boga grip, the loop didn't break. He then really got on it an damn near sliced his fingers up before it broke

hmmm, interesting, i just got my heat shrink in the mail today 20' of each 3/32", 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4" shipped priority for just under $16. so i'm gonna put a loop on my risen line tonight. i'll let you know how it goes.

another thought i am having is "tying" the lines together, hopefully cutting through the poly body of the line to tie the two core lines together and then while melting them together hiding most of my line tying. and making an even stronger loop.

I'll be looking to see how it goes for you, give details.

yeah worked out pretty well, the risen line and my z spey lie both came out awesome. the rio skagit head is my questionable. that was the line i tried "adding" some thread wraps to and to cut through the pvc and tie the cores together. but i fear what ever was on the thread "contaminated" the pvc and may have compromised the weld. dont know, some time in the near future i'm gonna have to give it a weight test of some sort.

before and after pics:

Untitled by dj.berg, on Flickr

Untitled by dj.berg, on Flickr

Ha ha the line welding happened again, this time my other running lines now have large loops at the head end for easy head on and off... slick stuff!

A different option if you don't have a heat gun on hand. I've never tried either option so won't comment: http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/gink-gasoline-fly-patterns/diy-fly-line-loop/

Hmm neat, nice find! Super glue, thread and uv clear id be willing to bet the line would break before that connection.

So he is doing the welded loop for the backing end, could you do this for the tippet end, and non sinking line?

I did my other two running lines for my shooting heads, big loops so you can fit the whole head through still spooled up and you can do any line float sinking what ever. It seems that the companies are doing it. And my opinion from being a plastic welder for a few years you can "weld" the same materilas together with out issue. But different wouldnt bond. So you could weld a line to its self. But I highly doubt you could weld a rio (pvc based) to an airflo (polyurithane based). Thats how you can use heat shwrink thats definitly polyethylene(can tell by the smell) and they will not bond to each other.

DJBerg,

What size tube did you use for the end of your flyline loop? Leader size? the video says 2.4mm.

So got my shrink tube today and ran out to the garage to give it a try..

The hardest part for me was cutting away the shrink tube and not cutting the flyline:

So here it goes, the start the end (of the good one) and the out takes:

imageayn.jpg

image2kzz.jpg

image3la.jpg

I could never do any of this. But, I nail knotted a looped end of a commercial leader to my fly line recently, and I can now loop a leader to that loop. I am not sure, however, that this is totally satisfactory, as I seem to catch my fly in this loop to loop mono occasionally (bad casting, I guess). But, it did give me an easy loop.

Back